Modern Tennis

omnivore

I got this from their web site and it was interesting to me... One person I know said it was like "ping pong" on a regular tennis court. I never thought of that, though.

Moderno is played on a regulation tennis court. But there are several distinct differences between it and other forms of tennis.

SCORING

# Each set is comprised of points. Rather than conventional 15-30-40, tennis scoring, modern tennis plays on cumulative points. Each match is 3 sets in length, with each set lasting until one players scores 24 points. The player with the most points at the end of 3 sets, wins the match. If the match is tied at the end of three sets, the players will play a sudden-death set, with the first player reaching 13 points winning the tiebreaker and the match.

# At 23-square, you can?t lose the match on a service fault. Meaning that if a player faults, the opposing player receives the 24th point, but play continues with service automatically reverting to the non-serving player from the previous point. Meanwhile, the match is now played to 24 (or the next number in sequence if it happens again) At 24-square, service alternates between the players until someone prevails.

# Cumulative Scoring

: The player with the most points at the end of three sets, is the winner of the match - not the player who wins 2 out of 3 sets, as all three sets are played regardless of the score.

SERVE

# No lets: The ball is played off the net regardless. If the serve goes into the service box off the net, the point is played like a normal point. If it goes out of the box on the serve, the point is awarded to the opposing player.

# Only 1 serve: Players are not afforded the ability to double fault. Players get one serve per point. If they fault, the point is awarded to the opposing player.

# Serve/Changeover:

Players alternate serving every six points. Changeovers occur every 12 points.

# Servers chooses service direction:

The serving player decides which service box they will serve to. Players in modern tennis serve the ball directly to the service box on the opposite side of the service court, rather than at the box diagonal to it as in regular tennis.

COURT SIZE

# The alleys are in:

Modern Tennis singles matches use the "doubles" alleys are part of the regular court of play. The alleys are not part of the service area on serve.

ACTION

# Fans are part of the game!

In moderno, fans can cheer, heckle, and otherwise act like fans at sporting events do. This changes the complexion of the event, as it requires players to focus and to remain unrattled.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Fans already cheer at tennis matches, but these Ass Clowns haven't bothered to notice. They obviously just want to be able to shriek drunken obscenities at players without fear of getting tossed out on their asses, which is what should happen to them.

All of their ideas suck ass.

All.

Of.

Them.

Fans already cheer at tennis matches, but these Ass Clowns haven't bothered to notice. They obviously just want to be able to shriek drunken obscenities at players without fear of getting tossed out on their asses, which is what should happen to them.

All.

Of.

Them.

hehe...

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

All.

Of.

Them.

hehe...

Wow Ron, looks like someone doesn't like you.

That said, a drunken tennis match would be fun to watch, as long as its Lindsay Davenport and Maria Sharapova or however you spell it.

All.

Of.

Them.

hehe...

Wow Ron, looks like someone doesn't like you.

That said, a drunken tennis match would be fun to watch, as long as its Lindsay Davenport and Maria Sharapova or however you spell it.

Yeah, it's ok.

I won't lose much sleep over it. I love how the only thing he noticed was the cheering part, rather than talking about the idiocy of the rules or something.

As it were, it's not that much of a drastic difference and I think the best part of it is that it's not trying to "take over" tennis, merely trying to present it in an alternative format.

So it's like softball is to baseball, rather than trying to be a rival league. It won't ever be as big, but then, I doubt that's the aim.

Archived