NYC2012 dead, Final announcement to come shortly

omnivore

While most of the comments here appear to be tongue-in-cheek, I am curious as to why the heavy anti-French sentiment around the 2012 Games?

Because France wouldn't support them in the war in Iraq (which is what 150 other countries did)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While most of the comments here appear to be tongue-in-cheek, I am curious as to why the heavy anti-French sentiment around the 2012 Games?

Because France wouldn't support them in the war in Iraq (which is what 150 other countries did)

...how about this quote from Tony Parker: "The IOC seems to be very pro-Anglo-Saxon. I feel extremely gutted." (BBC)

I saw, I came, I left.

and isnt it just sad,that 2+ years on that people still cant get over it

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

First off, we should all laugh at Jacques Chirac for making that comment. Look, at least they don't eat snails, you damn pansy! They eat meat and potatos in England, while in France, you get cheese, wine, and snails.

Who would of known that comment would of screwed Paris' bid to the 2012 Games. Plus, London has been a good host before, so why mess with something that has worked before?

What other 150 countries?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I can only speak for myself, but I - as an American - was hoping that New York would land the 2012 Olympic Summer Games. In the event that New York didn't, I then was rooting for London to be named the host city, as I have friends who live there. Frankly, I wasn't so much rooting against Paris as I was rooting for the other municipalities.

That changed over the past few days, based entirely upon President Chirac's less-than-diplomatic behavior. I must admit that in the wake of Chirac's comments I found myself not only pleased that London had been selected, but that the Paris bid had failed. I suppose that it is petty of me to so enjoy President Chirac receiving his come-uppance via the failure of the Parisian Olympic bid... but, I'm only human.

I hated Britains slogan for the Olympics: Make Britain Proud

I was gonna say, "Whose Olympics is it Anyway?" (sorry, love the show, and its a lame attempt to do a tie-in

Wow a huge upset! Yeah, I was shocked about the decision. Can't wait for the logo. I wonder now how San Francisco would've done. SF was a finalist with NYC and I believe Houston to be the American bid. SF lost out as the USOC voted for New York to be the bid. So I wonder how SF would've done, especially since 75% of the venues were already built. Only a renovated Stanford Olympic Stadium, Olympic Village at Moffett Field and a new soccer stadium for the 49ers would already have be what the state legislature would assist in fixing/building along with getting the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit trains) to go down to San Jose for easier access for events.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

To the French I fart in your genral direction

Take that!!! Jacque Cositeau I mean Chirac.

London deserves it a much nice cit then Parris and its not France.

:D

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Or maybe because the way Americans are treated when they go vist France. And this was pre-Iraq war and pre-George W. Bush. I think that has a lot to due with that on top of Iraq.

Teh French have always been rude and arrogant look at what Chirac said about Englaish cooking today and he insulted Finalnd too saying the only worse food then English is Finland I hope that caused soem Fins to change their vote and I hope that was the difference.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Teh French have always been rude and arrogant look at what Chirac said about Englaish cooking today and he insulted Finalnd too saying the only worse food then English is Finland I hope that caused soem Fins to change their vote and I hope that was the difference.

Well the two IOC members from Finland did cast their vote for London. I have no idea why Chirac insulted Finnish food...................... it is Swedish food he should be insulting :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Well the two IOC members from Finland did cast their vote for London. I have no idea why Chirac insulted Finnish food...................... it is Swedish food he should be insulting :D

And those two votes made the difference. If they went the other way it would've been tied. My prediction was Moscow out first, then Madrid, then London beating out NYC in round 3 with Paris being #1, and then London beating out Paris. Only thing I missed was NYC went out second and London was #1 going into the final round.

According some reporters, London won the Games over Paris because of the offered security.

That was yesterday. Today, recently there is bombing in downtown London!!! TV says that Al Qaeda was the author.

Madrid was eliminated because of ETA... and now, London?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Well we know it's not the French because they don't have any balls.

fluff You.

PS. The funny thing is that most of France is happy that Paris didnt get the games. I dont know how many of you people notice that Paris is hated in France more then it is anywhere else.

Paris On T'Encule

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived