Charlotte Grays MLB concept

dgnmrwrw

Here's my initial concept for the Charlotte MLB idea that's been floating around. I chose the name "Grays," and the mascot is a gray fox.

C+C very welcome, as I intend to give this a lot more work.

Logo:

Grayslogo.gif

Uniforms:

Grays.gif

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Great job - sweet unis and colors! :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

The wordmark seems to be just slapped on top of the fox, try other things, like maybe a circle and ball kinda thing....it needs to flow more.

Yeah, that was going to be my next move, so that I could use it as a shoulder patch instead of the fox's head logo.

Wow, great work. Truly one of the best concepts I've seen in a while. I'm not necessarily saying this would look better but I can't help but think what the home uni's would look like if the "CHARLOTTE" was in the same script as the "Grays". Great work, very nice job. :notworthy:

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

..looks good....but is it GREY?.or GRAY?

A good question, and I can't seem to find a consensus. I've seen it listed both ways (sometimes both ways on ONE single webpage). I think, however, I've seen "gray" more often, and the list of North Carolina fauna I was looking at says "gray fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus)"

I love the overall look of this - thanks to the Blue Jays, I'd really like to see someone use gray as a primary color and not suck.

Two specific quibbles: I'd prefer to see a more original script than your off-the-shelf text. It's a workable placeholder, but I can't see a real MLB team using it. Second, I think it would be worth developing a C to go around or behind or in front of the animal logo on your caps. The dog head just doesn't quite communicate enough of a specific team identity to me.

Nice work!

20082614447.png

The Homestead team of the Negro Leagues spelled it "GRAYS." I've always used the "e" when referring to the color. Then there's the Grey Cup, Earl Grey tea. Could be a British thing, like "colour" and "cheque" or Queens Quay (key) in TO. Help from you Canadian guys, eh?

BTW- Nice job on the whole package. The gray fox tie-in works well. :P

OK, I tweaked the logos, added a new baseball diamond shoulder patch, and created a new logo spread:

Grayslogos.gif

I had thought about using the G for all the caps, but it would be my preference to use a C for Charlotte, and the C doesn't look nearly as cool as the G. I did try fitting the C around the fox, but they don't line up very well--his neck has a completely different curve from the C. I may give that idea a lot more time and see if I can make it work.

I'd also like to do a custon script for "Grays", but I really do like this G and I don't think I could come up with anything I liked better that would be different enough to justify doing a new script. I had thought about turned the curl on the end of the line under the lettering into a fox's tail...

I'm not against a fox being on the cap, but your fox design isn't doing it for me. Is it too minor leaguey?

Maybe it's because foxes are inherently so damn cute:

w-GrayFox-rd.jpg

But I love the name. It ties into three traditions: 1) the fox, which ties in nicely with the tradition of naming sports teams after local animals. 2) the color, which ties in nicely to the tradition of naming baseball teams after team colors. and 3) the history of the South, and all that the word "Gray" means to those crazy rebels.

Ok, another very slight uniform tweak. Added a "C" home and away cap to get feedback. I've decided to go with either the C or the G for home and away, but I need help deciding which. I'd prefer to use the C for the city name, but to me it doesn't look as good, and it looks too much like the old White Sox C.

Archived