Design a new mascot for ole miss and win $5,000

therebelas

I love that logo!  I hate to say that I highly doubt the PC police that is The University of Mississippi administration would go for it, but the fans sure as hell would love it!

Here's the deal about our administration.  Our Chancellor is Robert Khayat.  He got his BA and JD at Ole Miss.  Between his BA and JD he found time to be an all-pro kicker for the Redskins.  As far as raising money for academics and all that, he's one of the finest university presidents in the country.  However, he went to Yale to get his Master of Laws degree and met a woman named Carolyn Staton who is now our Provost.  Her best friend is Hillary Clinton.  Then you have our AD, Pete Boone, who in a single year has done about 10 things that have pissed off students, alumni, and fans.  

I think you can start to see why your logo is freaking awesome, but probably wouldn't be loved by the Yankees and quasi-Yankees that run the school.

I love it though and have already saved it on my harddrive to show some friends.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thereblas, do you think they would like to get rid of the white male figure, or the Civil War stuff altogether? Or perhaps do you think they just want something toned down? More neutral and universal? There's many ways to approach this, so I don't want to waste time on an idea that will be poo-pooed anyway. What's your vibe?

I can't believe Col. Reb was made in 1979. It looks like an old 50s drawing. There's gotta be a cool answer to this.

Sterling... while I think that your concept is tremendously well-executed, even for an early treatment, I think you're dreaming if you believe that "They are asking, if not begging, for someone to come forward with something along these lines".

It seems apparent to me that the Ole Miss administration is responding to a backlash - real or assumed - against any symbols remotely connected to the Confederacy and/or the issue of slavery. Frankly, if the school is ready, willing and able to so quickly jettison a CARTOON depiction of "Southern Gentlemen/plantation owner" Colonel Reb, what makes you think that they're going to embrace a logo that consists of a REALISTIC depiction of a Confederate Army officer? Plus, the university has curtailed the use of the Confederate "Stars and Bars" flag at athletic events, so I find it highly unlikely that they're going to welcome a logo in which said flag figures prominently.

The Ole Miss administration has bungled this identity makeover from the start. Without taking sides in a debate that could become "Redskins: Part 2" (I'll spare everyone the excrutiating spectacle of such a debate), I believe that you've got two choices:

1) Realize that in the American South there is no easy way to distance the "Rebels" name from images of the Confederacy. Therefore, you scrap the current identity package, name and all, and start over from scratch. Or...

2) You've got to "thumb your nose" at the naysayers and simply go with an updated/modernized "Colonel Reb" logo.

Instead, the Ole Miss administration is attempting to be all things to all people. On the one hand, they're attempting to appease those who find symbols of the Confederacy and life in the "Old South" offensive by dumping "Colonel Reb". On the other, they're playing to their core constituents by maintaining the "Rebels" name and paying lip-service to designing a new logo that "challenges the status quo". Come on... that's a "recipe" for angering everybody and pleasing nobody!

Frankly, it's going to take nothing short of one of two miracles for this to come to a satisfactory conclusion. Either there is going to be a huge outpouring of support - on the part of Ole Miss fans, alumni AND the general public - to maintain "Colonel Reb", or someone is going to come up with a completely unique visual take on the name "Rebels".

Truth be told, I don't think the folks calling the shots at Ole Miss know exactly what they ARE looking for in a new logo. I think they just have an idea as to what they're NOT looking for (at least on the surface); namely, anything that even whispers of the Confederacy. Maybe that's why Phoenix Design Works was shown the door and there is now an open, nationwide contest: so that "the powers that be" at Ole Miss can say that they gave it the proverbial "good old college try". However, neither the pros nor the general populace could come up with anything better than the current identity package, so the school's hands are tied: "Colonel Reb" it is.

Only time will tell.

Brian in Boston

But of course you are right Bri,

See? I try to keep my posts shorter, and I get crazy and less clear. I got a little carried away because I see where the logo will be....and this one's going to be good.

Regarding everything you said. It's dead on. There will be no way this gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction. None. It's a mess. They should've either dropped Rebels and started over without the genpub, or pulled a Masters Tourney and thumbed their nose at criticism.

Imagine if my Snappers checklist was applied to this revamp..except the last thing on the list is

7) Very notion of everything this stands for disgusts half the worlds people and encites near violent reaction from both sides. Ummm, not check? This is in some ways just way too hard.

As far as I'm concerned though, that is  their problem. I can only suggest and submit and recommend what they do. I'd pick something rebel like this...stand by it and make up a marketing ploy around it to defend it. Say the character is in fact General Lee...to my knowledge he owned no slaves and was a great man. Something like that you know?

Now they've given ground and already pissed off both sides.

I guess what I am saying, is I'm submitting some more complete version of this. I will endeavor to tighten it up...make the flag (notice no stars) look less and less like the stars and bars, while still being it. Make him look less and less like a confederate while still being it. ANd then try to raise the production values as high as possible to convey particular emotion...not vengeance. Not evil, but pride etc. THis is all going to be very delicate and largely impossible. But I'm going to try.

So, perhaps I was kidding myself a bit...I don't think they were literally asking teh public to validate their offensive logo. But I've never seen a contest written out like that. That was strangely worded no? They are clearly upset at having to do this at all.

I would like to get a little input on execution though. I was thinking possibly of putting him on horseback to detract from the flag. Yeah or nay? Also thought of making the hand not quite on the sabre...as though he's not yet ready for violence but he will be if you push him. ???Thoughts? Stuff like that .

Thanks one and all. I have much to do before Sept.....I'll show you the finished version.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Actually I think horseback would be the way to go.  No flag.  No drawn sword.  The horse would also add a new element to their identity.  At first I was thinking stay away from the whole confederate, southern plantation thing (I was trying to think of something other than that to represent a 'rebel', but to no avail) but more and more I think it's the only way to go.

You see, if you are going to "pull a Masters" and stick with this overall concept, then I say DON'T put the figure on horseback. I think that it would only serve to clutter the overall composition. If you're committed to going this route, simply tighten-up your already well-rendered initial design.

Brian in Boston

I like where you are going personally, but as thereblas stated earlier I don't know how good it would fly with the university.

The confederate flag I know would not go over well, but why not use the flag we use currently instead. It is the same color scheme.

If they seriously wanted to lose the Confederate imagery, then probably their best hope for a mascot would be someone like this gent from the musical of Victor Hugo's 'Les Miserables'

http://www.unhmagazine.unh.edu/f01/res/62.jpg

Not being American, that's the kind of 'rebel' that immediately comes to my mind. But I suspect in the circumstances that either such a mascot would need severe beefing up (rebels are usually the weak underdogs) or Sterling's colonel will need to get a new flag and maybe even a different uniform.

Perhaps he should carry the Mississippi state flag, if it could be done without overemphasising the Confederate corner or making it look like the French flag?

or make it an american flag(the Betsy Ross one) and use rebel as a reference to the American Revolution.

When I thought about rebel not using the conotations of a person, I thought of a maverick, which led me to a horse. My Webdav challenge is a stallion, so I decided to re color it and Ole Miss colors.  It's not as smooth as my WebDav because some clarity was lost in the re coloring, but you get the drift. Also, my Webdav submission has five other logos(3 wordmarks, 2 versions of a shoulder patch) but this has two.  Due to the OLE MISS text size and shape, I rotated the horse so it looks like he's up on his hind legs, coming up behind the OLE MISS text.  

Ole Miss

Are they wanting to keep the "Rebel" mascot?  That's my understanding.

Perhaps he should carry the Mississippi state flag, if it could be done without overemphasising the Confederate corner

I agree with Primal, mybe the state flag, that will help locals identify with it.  As in the picture posted, I like the concept of the rebel holding the rifle over his head while the flag is in the background.  Someone take the idea and run with it.

Go Ole Miss!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I think as long as the name is still Rebels, it can be anything.

Here's a version with a guy on the horses back with a large REBELS flag.  I can't do people too well, nor clothing for that matter, so the guy needs A LOT of work, but hey. Ole Miss 2

I think that is a viable alternative as well.

I will be looking at probably 8-10 slight variations on this by the end I think.

I'm out on vacation the next three days so I'll get back with the forum on my progress next week.

Peace

Sabes7200-very good idea, nice concept.  Clean it up a bit, you're on the right track and looking good!

Good Luck Sterling.  Having seen your work, you won't disappoint anyone.   el paso's idea of the "M" flag is a great idea.  Run with it.  Good job everybody - nice ideas!!!! :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Just a.........bump.

Anyone anywhere closer to something worth submitting on this?

I've seen what Greg is working on and I like it lots.  The deadline she is approaching.  

Jebus, this is a toughie.

You are right, this is tough. Who knows what will go on behind the closed doors at the committee meetings on this stuff. Better we not hear it, or we'll pull our hair out. Ever see the "Poochie" episode of the Simpsons?

The deadline is moving up fast, so I have to step on it, but I will be entering for sure. Sterling, how changed did your soldier get? You can just tell us if you went drastically different or not. Or dumped it.

You Mississippians, if there is any way to see more of the entries besides the final three, be sure to pop it on the board. I have a feeling there will be tons of cool stuff on the "nay" pile. Locals also let us know if you hear any leanings toward a style, etc.

Archived