Design a new mascot for ole miss and win $5,000

therebelas

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed on white white isnt a color.

But how do they look at it. All logos are submitted on white background.

Same goes if use white, red, blue and black and print on black i still have three.

So it changes, just like this contest has.

You just repeated what I said, so how can you think that white is not a color?

Using your example: A logo using white, red, blue & black, printed on black. I agree you would only use three colors to print. However, if you took that same logo and printed it on green (or any color not in the logo), you would have to use four colors. So the logo is four colors, not three. When printing, you benifit if a color in the logo is the same as the background color, but for the most part you have to consider all colors in the logo as colors that need to be printed.

Whatcha gonna do when the Ultimate MegaPowers run wild over you!

UMPPrimarySig.jpgUMPWarriorSig.jpgUMPAltSig.jpg

My vote would be that since without fail, every team uses white........it doesn't count.

I forget how my old art teacher put it, but in terms of paint, I think white is the absence of color, and in terms of light...white is all colors.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand moving on.  They are still full of bunk because 2 of their final 3 ideas (pre-reevaluation) were animals and they expressly forbid them.  What a joke.

On the plus side, Animators "back turned" logo was kinda bikery.  I hope that is the one they chose.  The creamer board strikes again!

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

They are still full of bunk because 2 of their final 3 ideas (pre-reevaluation) were animals and they expressly forbid them. What a joke.

I also wondered about the animal thing. I was under the impression that the did not want aniamls, but a figure that "represented the youth of the university". Oh well...

My vote would be that since without fail, every team uses white........it doesn't count.

I forget how my old art teacher put it, but in terms of paint, I think white is the absence of color, and in terms of light...white is all colors.

In terms of light, white is all colors, and black is the absence of all colors, yet you people are not saying that black is not a color. Why?

All I'm saying is that from a printer's standpoint, you have to consider white as a color to insure that the logo will come out as it looks on paper or screen. Whether or not you agree is up to you, but I say three colors is red, blue and white, and nothing more.

Whatcha gonna do when the Ultimate MegaPowers run wild over you!

UMPPrimarySig.jpgUMPWarriorSig.jpgUMPAltSig.jpg

Sorry Bluesland.

No offense intended.  Whether that was a "real" article that ran or not...you guys got yourselves a f'ed up situation down there.

I'm sure its a great school, great people...my dad lives not far from there in Alabama...but, I don't think the university knows whether its coming or going on this.

Why would you even need screeners?  Give one guy the criteria.  Cripes...I could do it in an hour.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

sterling--You'r right! This is really a hot potato subject around my area. If they had not made this a national contest, many local artist would not have submitted ideas. UM has a good graphic department and a decent art department. University Press is there, they publish a lot of southern authors. These guys[uM} have opened a political can of worms [check out the rebel vent] the gateway guy they are talking about [withdrawing his support] is the largeat contributor to the sports program-no one else comes close.                            The mascot has been changed over the years-originally he had more of a handlebar mustache and wore a confederate uniform. Before the rebel mascot and name the team was known as the mississippi flood. Many of my clients are UM alums,the feedback I get back from them is they don't want a change, but if it has to change they would like an evolved version of the current mascot.  I pay the bills as a portrait painter and work through the Ms arts commission doing public art[librarys, museums, schools] My logo work has been limited to the music business. This sports logo/mascot stuff is very difficult. You have to please to many people!           Oxford is a mix of people,like anywhere, but never mistake it as "redneck".  There is a large community of artists who live in the area, including nationally recognized visual artist, critically acclaimed authors, and a oscar-winning actor [lives 45 miles or so from oxford]. Oxford has the highest real estate values in the state. Game days, fans tailgate - some modestly others in white tents adorned with crystal chandelers, china, linens and catered as though you were dining at a 5 star restaurant. This is just one of the traditions.  Oxford is a very artsy small town- they absolutly have access to talent- that tells me that if UM could describe what they wanted they would have had a solution before now. I think they are looking for a totally brillant solution to their dilemma ,it's a tall order for a little mascot, but if one you guys out there has come up with the perfect concept for UM's mascot, you can  design anything!

Archived