All-Star Game Discussion Thread

Brass

im not sure what else he did other than the HR shot and the play at first.  he did get 2 RBi.... :therock:

That's all Tejada did. Like I said, nobody really deserved it this year.

For someone who's done nothing but poor-mouth the game, you sure did take it all in....

You've never watched a bad game before??

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im not sure what else he did other than the HR shot and the play at first.  he did get 2 RBi.... :therock:

For someone who's done nothing but poor-mouth the game, you sure did take it all in....

I've watched plenty of bad games. However, I don't reply to everyone's posts by saying "The game sucked.", "No one deserved to be MVP.", and "Sub-par MVP" repetitively.

I've watched plenty of bad games. However, I don't reply to everyone's posts by saying "The game sucked.", "No one deserved to be MVP.", and "Sub-par MVP" repetitively.

Are you trying to tell me it was a good game? Who really cares?

I dont know why you're always looking for a fight because it just makes you look like a jackass when you do.

6uXNWAo.png

Are you trying to tell me it was a good game? Who really cares?

I dont know why you're always looking for a fight because it just makes you look like a jackass when you do.

The game was pretty boring. Yea, Tejada was a little sub-par for an MVP, but now that i think about it, who else was more deserving? i cant really think of anyone else that shouldve gotten it. he was deserving. he also made that play in the field in the 1st inn. and it is miguel, he probly kept everyone goin during the game with his personality. but that part doesnt help in being MVP.

teamsnew2.png

Anyone who looks for and engages in internet fights is a pathetic person. And you're teetering awfully close on that line. ;)

The MVP of the All-Star Game is nothing more than the Player of the Game, except that it has a sponsor and is broadcast on national TV. To say that no one deserved to be named Player of the game is asinine. It wasn't as exciting a game as everyone would have hoped for, but it hasn't been as bad as some recent All-Star games. But still, Comerica Park doesn't get too many 12-run games.....

why dont they wear those National and American All Star jerseys? the orange and navy ones.....why bring them out if they are not going to be worn?

I've always wondered that too. All the other leagues (of the big 4) go with all-star unis during the game. I guess since baseball is such an "individual sport", there's no need for teams to go with matching uniforms.

6uXNWAo.png

Two words answer this question.

Tradition and Money.

Tradition because the "home" team has always worn their home uniforms and the "away" team the greys (or blues and yellow's in the 70s)

Money for the orange and blue uniforms. I'd rather buy a patch and put it on a jersey if I wanted one that bad. Typically the are "out there" designs that look awful.

I have a better idea for them, (I think at least) and if I ever get spare time I have a whole all-star concept that I think people might like.

It's just tradition...they were gonna do it last year, but fans made it known that they wouldn't like it, and so they decided to keep it for BP and the HR Derby.

For a time, the NBA did the individual team jerseys too.

This game certainly did suck. Cardinals did their part (as much as anyone from the NL basically except for Jones monster shot), so I guess I'm pleased with that.

A lot of the NL just seemed horrible. 'Twas a pathetic performance from the guy called the biggest snub, Morgan Ensberg. Pop foul on the first pitch he sees. Then, with the MLB down 7-5, 2 outs, and no one on in the ninth, he takes a ball from Rivera. Rivera proceeds to throw three high balls (same pitch every time), but Ensberg swings at him. Rivera got a save never throwing a true strike...you GOTTA make the pitcher throw a strike in that situation.

Oh well, I wish Tony woulda won it, but not too many flaws in his managing style...the players just got beat.

What I find funny is now that La Russa didn't play the Cardinals very long, THAT's being seen as favoritism as if he's trying to let everyone else get injured...which is it? He's favoring the Cards by playing them or by not playing them...can't have it both ways...

Every pitcher went only one inning (until the eighth), so you can't complain about that. And re: the Cubbies guys...they only got 3 plate appearances as did much of the team...La Russa wasn't trying to let them get hurt...that's just dumb...but whatever...nobody seems to like TLR.

A lot of the NL just seemed horrible. 'Twas a pathetic performance from the guy called the biggest snub, Morgan Ensberg. Pop foul on the first pitch he sees. Then, with the MLB down 7-5, 2 outs, and no one on in the ninth, he takes a ball from Rivera. Rivera proceeds to throw three high balls (same pitch every time), but Ensberg swings at him. Rivera got a save never throwing a true strike...you GOTTA make the pitcher throw a strike in that situation.

That is why Rivera is succesful. He throws that cut fast ball (he has a 2 seemer, and a slider now but it used to be just the cutter). It starts out as a ball and cuts in on the batters hands. It's why he has broken so many bats and for the most part has been lights out throughout his career. It's why he might be going to the Hall of Fame. You can't blame Ensburg for striking out on a possible Hall of Famers best pitch.

Every pitcher went only one inning (until the eighth), so you can't complain about that. And re: the Cubbies guys...they only got 3 plate appearances as did much of the team...La Russa wasn't trying to let them get hurt...that's just dumb...but whatever...nobody seems to like TLR

That's not true, Fuentes didn't get to pitch at all, which I thought was a bunch of crap. ARG!

I noticed that all the players were wearing a different, rather unusual design of batting helmet. Who manufactured these helmets and was this the first time that the players didn't bring their normal game helmets with them?

a_teixeira_372.jpg

Its somewhat difficult to see but if you look closely you can see holes or vents in the helmets. sorry i couldn't find a better picture.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Every pitcher went only one inning (until the eighth), so you can't complain about that. And re: the Cubbies guys...they only got 3 plate appearances as did much of the team...La Russa wasn't trying to let them get hurt...that's just dumb...but whatever...nobody seems to like TLR

That's not true, Fuentes didn't get to pitch at all, which I thought was a bunch of crap. ARG!

He also didn't really deserve to be there. Though to be fair to the Rockies, they usually do earn their way onto an All-Star roster.

IUe6Hvh.png

I noticed that all the players were wearing a different, rather unusual design of batting helmet.  Who manufactured these helmets and was this the first time that the players didn't bring their normal game helmets with them?

a_teixeira_372.jpg

Its somewhat difficult to see but if you look closely you can see holes or vents in the helmets. sorry i couldn't find a better picture.

This is actually being discussed in the logos forum.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=22911 ;)

6uXNWAo.png

I noticed that all the players were wearing a different, rather unusual design of batting helmet.  Who manufactured these helmets and was this the first time that the players didn't bring their normal game helmets with them?

a_teixeira_372.jpg

This'll answer your question SEMOSTLfan :grin: : http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=22911

**EDIT: sorry DirtyCurty, you posted this while i was posting mine. i didnt see you had done it already.

teamsnew2.png

JKR, Re: Ensberg vs. Rivera:

What I blame Ensberg for is never making Rivera throw a strike. With a 2 run deficit, nobody on base, and just one out left, you NEED a base runner. Rivera's first pitch was a ball. You gotta make Rivera throw a strike...take pitches until he throws one. It's only smart baseball when you need a base runner. I don't completely blame Ensberg for his final strikeout swing...it was a nasty pitch and he had two strikes. But it was absolutely his fault he was in a 1-2 hole for swinging at two balls. It's just stupid baseball not to make the pitcher throw a strike before swinging when you need a baserunner. THAT's what I blame Ensberg for.

Nick, Re: Fuentes:

I mentioned earlier an article that cited La Russa (though not a quote) that said Fuentes would probably be saved for extra innings. La Russa's own closer was saved for the same thing. Evidently so was Wagner. Anyways, when I said every pitcher pitched one inning (till the eighth, I didn't mean to imply every pitcher on the roster...I just meant everyone who DID come into thte game (I was not trying to state La Russa was trying to bring everyone in, but rather that he was not trying to wear anyone out).

Did anyone else find it funny that they would be talking about the Chevrolet whatever of the game, and the camera would zoom in on the GM sign?

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Did anyone else find it funny that they would  be talking about the Chevrolet whatever of the game, and the camera would zoom in on the GM sign?

They should have followed that with a shot of Ford Field *groan*

I saw, I came, I left.

I was mentioning in the other thread how we got the MLB Int'l feed for the ASG, figured I post the graphics they were using, since I like them better than FOX's.

ASG2005_01.jpg

ASG2005_02.jpg

Very generic, no sponsor logo, no station logo, only logo you see is the event logo.

If you see carefully the pix upside and right, you will find a shy station logo: ONTARIO.

----------------

The game? Boring!!! AL 7-0 up... later, NL put 5 runs in... and Rivera shuts the 9th inning. That's all, folks!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived