Giants win franchise's 10,000th game

IronChefShark

I'm relatively young so I never lived times when the Jints were in NYC but (besides being a strong Red Sox fan) I like the Giants franchise because of its very rich history.

Yes, the Giants won only 5 WS but it's a view according the cold scores; what about the 21 NL pennants (3 from the 19th century) spanning 3 centuries and 2 cities?

From the Polo Grounds aside the Harleem River to the SBC Park aside the Bay... some fans from the NY Chinatown to some fans from the SF Chinatown...

Wore once violet pinstripes to wear now orange, black and cream...

Remember fondly Mathewson... the inner HR of Casey Stengel... that upper leg of Mel Ott... the Shot around the World... bah, alots of memories. :)

Yeah, Boston is the bitter rival city of NYC but I'm always seduced of the Jints' history. Mmmhhh... maybe viewing it with a Calvinist mode, the baseball history of the Red Sox is seemed to the Giants' one.

Memorable moments on road to 10,000

From this link, you can see that the Giants' 1,000th, 5,000th, 8,000th and 10,000th victories... are against the Dodgers... mmmbwahahahaha! :D

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Here's something interesting...

The next team to reach the 10,000 mark is...

The Cubs.

Here's the entire league as of earlier today:

San Francisco Giants

Chicago Cubs

Atlanta Braves

Los Angeles Dodgers

St. Louis Cardinals (lost number 9,000 4 games ago)

Cincinnati Reds

Pittsburgh Pirates

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies (Lost 10,000 8 games ago)

Boston Red Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers (Lost 8,000 4 games ago)

Chicago White Sox

Oakland Athletics

Minnesota Twins

Baltimore Orioles

Los Angeles Angels

Houston Astros

Texas Rangers

New York Mets

Kansas City Royals

Washington Nationals

Milwaukee Brewers

San Diego Padres

Toronto Blue Jays

Seattle Mariners

Florida Marlins

Colorado Rockies

Arizona Diamondbacks

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Interesting also, the Cubs are number 2 in wins and 3 in losses. The Braves are 3 in wins and 2 in losses.

Other interesting things that I found:

The Yankees have hit the most home runs with 13,157.

Cubs have allowed the most home runs with 11,240.

Surprise surprise the Rockies have the all time best Batting Average with a all time .282 BA. For teams that have been around for over 100 years, the Yankees, Red Sox and Cardinals are all tied for "number 2" at .267 BA.

The Cubs.

San Francisco Giants

Chicago Cubs

Atlanta Braves

Interesting also, the Cubs are number 2 in wins and 3 in losses. The Braves are 3 in wins and 2 in losses.

Not realy that surprising when you consider that the Cubs and Braves are the only teams playing on a continuing basis since 1876...

Moose

1989: In front of a teary-eyed Candlestick crowd, Dave Dravecky completed a miraculous recovery from surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in his left (pitching) arm. He beat the Reds in that game on Aug. 10. Dravecky's arm would snap while throwing a pitch in his next start, and two years later, his arm would be amputated, but not deterring the spirit of a man who would become a popular motivational speaker.

that must had hurt when his arm snap.

:puke:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

The Cubs.

San Francisco Giants

Chicago Cubs

Atlanta Braves

Interesting also, the Cubs are number 2 in wins and 3 in losses.  The Braves are 3 in wins and 2 in losses.

Not realy that surprising when you consider that the Cubs and Braves are the only teams playing on a continuing basis since 1876...

Moose

It was just surprising as the team most associated with losing over the years to most people has the 2nd most wins. To me at least. I'm well aware they are one of the oldest clubs in the MLB.

I also thought it was interesting that those 2 were 2 and 3 in both columns. Not really surprising or anything.

It was just surprising as the team most associated with losing over the years to most people has the 2nd most wins. To me at least. I'm well aware they are one of the oldest clubs in the MLB.

I also thought it was interesting that those 2 were 2 and 3 in both columns. Not really surprising or anything.

I can see that... It is amazing how much the Cubs pre-1946 history is forgotten:

16 Pennants (1876, '80, '81, '82, '85, '86, 1906, '07, '08, '10, '18, '29, '32, '35, '38, '45)

2 World Series Titles (1907, 1908)

Record for wins in a season (1906 - 116) tied by the Mariners in 2001

It's just that the post-1945 history is so bleak:

3 Division titles (1984, '89, 2003)

1 Wild Card (1998)

1 Play-off round win (2003 - NLDS)

Moose

Interesting also, the Cubs are number 2 in wins and 3 in losses.  The Braves are 3 in wins and 2 in losses.

Just curious, who's #1 in losses?

The Phillies, my friend.

pennants.png

The Cubs.

San Francisco Giants

Chicago Cubs

Atlanta Braves

Moose

Right, if you see there, except the Yankees, 8 of 9 first teams are from National League... they played in the 19th century so they can add more victories than every AL team conceived in 1901.

pennants.png

Archived