Family Crest Concepts

redsfan39

inspired by this thread, i designed a rugby jersey using my familys crest. since these are pretty cool and easy to make but were loaded with contests right now, i say post your designs here. heres mine-

rugby.png

Pretty cool, redsfan. Mind explaining what the parts of the Crest mean?

yeah the boars are supposed to stand about how determined we are because we defeated the english when they invaded our homeland. and the lizard and bird are supposed to represent intelegence and teamwork or something like that. i dont know im reading it off a google search page

Awrighty, redsfan, you asked for it.

This was originally inspired by rmered's soccer kit for his crest. The design was inspired by Newcastle United and Juventus, who've both made black and white look so remarkably elegant.

Quick description:

FAMILY NAME: Driscoll; great-grandpa lopped off our "O'", and we like being at the front of the alphabet. In Modern Irish it translates to "O' Driscoeil". In ancient Irish, it's twice as long.

COLORS: Black and white. Simple and understated. Redsfan and I share family colors; these things happen.

CREST: Tri-mast ship sable [black for you non-heraldry buffs] on crest argent [white]. It is my family's crest; most Driscolls live within a few miles of the ancestral sept's lands in along the southwestern Irish coast. We were chieftains and did have a coat of arms (many medieval families did not, depending on what societal class they occupied).

SIGNIFICANCE: The family traces its roots back to seafarers... or pirates, depending on whose side you were on. But they were known for their control of the waters. Driscoll Castle in Baltimore, County Cork, was sieged by pirates from modern-day Algeria in 1561; its ruins stand today.

ANIMAL: Cormorant. It's a bird.

MOTTO: "DURUM PATIENTIA FRANGO." ["I overcome hardship with patience." Which is a crock if you knew my family!]

KIT: Used a patch on the back for the numbers; the patch is roughly in the shape of the family crest. Aer Lingus is Ireland's national airline, and when I restore the Irish monarchy someday :D , they will be the royal airline!

driscollsoccer.png

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

that is sweet vitamin. i see we both have the same colors. :D we might fight you for em ^_^

:therock: The Rock says... JUST BRING IT.

Although those warthogs might be tricky to beat, since we can't take our boat on land... :P

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

How old is this family crest? I'm very unfamiliar with how families even get these things? As an American without any such symbols, it's interesting to me.

pretty fricking old :D it dates back quite a while (think braveheart era) and i have no clue how we got it.

The Rock says... JUST BRING IT.

Although those warthogs might be tricky to beat, since we can't take our boat on land...

fffffffrrrrrreeeeeeeedddddddooooooommmmmm :D

How old is this family crest? I'm very unfamiliar with how families even get these things? As an American without any such symbols, it's interesting to me.

Crests and heraldry date back to Europe. If your family traces its roots back to Europe (there may be other places, but I have not researched them myself, and I don't know that there is as much research out there for study on non-European heraldry; I'd love to be proven wrong), and they were members of a landowning class, they probably had arms. Traditionally, you don't just "get these things". It was a symbol developed centuries ago to identify members of a given family/clan when in battle (without national armies, soldiers brought their own weapons into battle; there was no "standard issue", so your crest said who you were and you were related to, and whose side you were on). Today, many people do create their own, but European countries generally have strict rules and regulations about applying for, registering, and maintaining coats of arms.

I am an American, but my family is Irish. And we've traced our roots back for centuries, mostly through old church records. I've been to the town that was the seat of our power. The crest on my soccer kit is my family's crest, passed down through the centuries.

The best way to find out about your own family's history would be genealogical research. If you can trace back the original spellings of your name, and where the people came from, you may be surprised to find that your family had arms registered. There are a ton of web sites depending on your nationality (England/Ireland/Scotland/France/Spain/Switzerland/Denmark/Germany/Russia/Poland/Lithuania/Sweden/Slovakia/Czech Rep. all have sites that I know of, and there must be more I haven't seen).

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived