Slight Toronto Maple Leaf logo Changes

Mike2025

Let's get one thing straight, the current Toronto Maple Leaf isn't going anywhere, at least for a while, I personally like the logo, it's simple and it symbolizes the teams previous logos. I just made this one for fun, and snuck in a light blue around the letters so maybe it could be somewhere on the jersey or something. :P

torontomapleleaf5sm.gif

Thoughts? :flagcanada:

I agree with Icecap 1000%. The current Leaf reminds me too much of the Ballard '70s and '80s. That "stylized" Leaf went out of fashion with disco boots and shag haircuts. The mid-'60s Leaf is the best ever. You don't need "watermarking" the "TML" inside it. K.I.S.S.-Keep it simple, stupid!

GO LEAFS GO! :hockeysmiley::flagcanada::hockeysmiley::flagcanada::hockeysmiley:

Hey lopernv- Man, you're a bit hypocritical. You have the audacity to criticize the old Leaf logo while YOUR Ukranian crown symbol has been around since time began. And talk about retro logos. The rest of the original six logos have all been used for at LEAST 50 years. Why don't you critcize one of those teams. Sorry, bud. You can't have it both ways. :mad::flagcanada:

Back to the design, if we can leave Ukraine's national symbology alone... :mad:

Like the idea, but it looks juxtaposed. Old-timey letters remind me of the typeface used for street signs 60-70 years ago, but on the modern/stylized leaf they look too cliche. And a wordmark with beveled shadowing AND an outline color on top of an embroidered leaf would be too much detail. Either you'd never see the shadowing (not enough shadow), or it would make the letters less legible since they'd be gray to black on a dark leaf (too much shadow). This would be very hard to faithfully replicate with needles and thread.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

While I'm a HUGE Ballard Years' logo fan (hey that's when I became a fan...) I find your logo just a little too busy, way too many elements for a uniform at least.

I can see it as a Web log, or part of a desktop theme.

Surprised that jkrdevil didn't jump in to make fun of your lack of creativity. :evil:

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Hey lopernv- Man, you're a bit hypocritical. You have the audacity to criticize the old Leaf logo while YOUR Ukranian crown symbol has been around since time began. And talk about retro logos. The rest of the original six logos have all been used for at LEAST 50 years. Why don't you critcize one of those teams. Sorry, bud. You can't have it both ways. :mad::flagcanada:

The ukraine pic in my sig is the one they currently use.

Benn around for 50 years eh? Why did the Leaf change before 50 years ago? Dude, you don't know what you're talking about.

My point is the '60s logo (the one posted by Icecap) was, is and always will be perfect. They should go back to it permanently and finally retire all reminders of "Pal Hal." It's basic layout was used from the late '30s until the "Canadian flag" Leaf debuted before the '67 playoffs. Those new Leaf uniforms and logo were probably a salute to Canada's 100th birthday. The Ballard leaf has far outlived it's usefulness. It has no character and is very "generic." Go back to the Leaf that was worn by nine of the Leafs' 11 Stanley Cup winners.

And isn't the Ukranian crown really a religious symbol? I'm not trying to be smart here but I have some Ukranian friends and seems I've seen that symbol connected with the church. :flagcanada: GO LEAFS GO! :flagcanada:

My point is the '60s logo (the one posted by Icecap) was, is and always will be perfect. They should go back to it permanently and finally retire all reminders of "Pal Hal." It's basic layout was used from the late '30s until the "Canadian flag" Leaf debuted before the '67 playoffs. Those new Leaf uniforms and logo were probably a salute to Canada's 100th birthday. The Ballard leaf has far outlived it's usefulness. It has no character and is very "generic." Go back to the Leaf that was worn by nine of the Leafs' 11 Stanley Cup winners.

And isn't the Ukranian crown really a religious symbol? I'm not trying to be smart here but I have some Ukranian friends and seems I've seen that symbol connected with the church.  :flagcanada: GO LEAFS GO!  :flagcanada:

actually the leafs have 13 cups, they won one as the arenas and one as the st. pats. they won 11 as the leafs, but its all the same franchise, just three different names. but yeah, 9 of those 13 cups were won using the logo i posted above.

the ballard leaf imo is the symbol of one of the worst owners in sports history. ballard is a scar on the face of the maple leafs legacy, and all traces of the ballard era should be forgotten.

the ukrainian symbol ist a crown. its a trident, and it is ukrain's national symbol (kind of like their version of the maple leaf). the trident originally had some pegan meaning, but is now used to symbolise the holy trinity.

And isn't the Ukranian crown really a religious symbol? I'm not trying to be smart here but I have some Ukranian friends and seems I've seen that symbol connected with the church.  :flagcanada: GO LEAFS GO!  :flagcanada:

actually the leafs have 13 cups, they won one as the arenas and one as the st. pats. they won 11 as the leafs, but its all the same franchise, just three different names. but yeah, 9 of those 13 cups were won using the logo i posted above.

the ballard leaf imo is the symbol of one of the worst owners in sports history. ballard is a scar on the face of the maple leafs legacy, and all traces of the ballard era should be forgotten.

the ukrainian symbol ist a crown. its a trident, and it is ukrain's national symbol (kind of like their version of the maple leaf). the trident originally had some pegan meaning, but is now used to symbolise the holy trinity.

It also says on on this site that they won one Stanley Cup as the Toronto Blue Shirts. :blink:

thats odd. the toronto maple leafs as we know them came into excistance in 1917 with the creation of the nhl (then they were known as the arenas). the blue shirts were toronto's hockey team in the old national hockey association (nha).

basically this is how it all happened:

the nha comprised of the montreal canadiens, montreal wanderers, toronto blue shirts, the original ottawa senators, and the quebec bulldogs. the owners of the canadiens, wanderers, senators, and bulldogs all became unhappy with the nha's incompatent leadership and stupid rules (like giving a penalty to a goalie if he left his feet). the owner of the blue shirts was engadging in a kickback scheme with the nha leaders that the other owners knew about. so one day in 1917 the the owners of the canadiens, wanderers, senators, and bulldogs all met in the windsor hotel in montreal to discuss forming a new leauge. they broke away from the nha and formed the national hockey leauge (nhl). because the toronto blue shirts were the only team left in the nha, both the nha and blue shirts soon died.

however the new nhl realised that toronto was hungry for hockey and could be a gret revanue source for the leauge. so new ownership was found in toronto, and the toronto arenas were formed in 1917 just in time for the innagural nhl season.

the arenas went on to win the first stanley cup of the nhl era, but later changed their name to the st. pats, who won one cup under the new name. in 1927 the team changed its name again when conn smyth bought the team. in 1927 he renamed the team the toronto maple leafs, whitch hasnt changed since. the team has won 11 stanley cups under the leafs name, one as the arenas, and one as the st. pats. the toronto blue shirts did win a stanley cup, but they are a differnt franchise from the arenas/st. pats/maple leafs team. if you ever look at the stanley cup banners in the air canada centre you will see 13 : one with an arenas logo, one with a st. pats logo, and 11 with maple leafs logos.

thats odd. the toronto maple leafs as we know them came into excistance in 1917 with the creation of the nhl (then they were known as the arenas). the blue shirts were toronto's hockey team in the old national hockey association (nha).

the nha comprised of the montreal canadiens, montreal wanderers, toronto blue shirts, the original ottawa senators, and the quebec bulldogs. the owners of the canadiens, wanderers, senators, and bulldogs all became unhappy with the nha's incompatent leadership and stupid rules (like giving a penalty to a goalie if he left his feet). the owner of the blue shirts was engadging in a kickback scheme with the nha leaders that the other owners knew about. so one day in 1917 the the owners of the canadiens, wanderers, senators, and bulldogs all met in the windsor hotel in montreal to discuss forming a new leauge. they broke away from the nha and formed the national hockey leauge (nhl). because the toronto blue shirts were the only team left in the nha, both the nha and blue shirts soon died.

however the new nhl realised that toronto was hungry for hockey and could be a gret revanue source for the leauge. so new ownership was found in toronto, and the toronto arenas were formed in 1917 just in time for the innagural nhl season.

the arenas went on to win the first stanley cup of the nhl era, but later changed their name to the st. pats, who won one cup under the new name. in 1927 the team changed its name again when conn smyth bought the team. in 1927 he renamed the team the toronto maple leafs, whitch hasnt changed since. the team has won 11 stanley cups under the leafs name, one as the arenas, and one as the st. pats. the toronto blue shirts did win a stanley cup, but they are a differnt franchise from the arenas/st. pats/maple leafs team. if you ever look at the stanley cup banners in the air canada centre you will see 13 : one with an arenas logo, one with a st. pats logo, and 11 with maple leafs logos.

Wow, I've been to the ACC so many times, and I never really looked at the banners carefully. Next time I go, I'm gonna look carefully.

Nice post, I learnt from it and I understand the Leafs and hockey more.

And isn't the Ukranian crown really a religious symbol? I'm not trying to be smart here but I have some Ukranian friends and seems I've seen that symbol connected with the church. :flagcanada: GO LEAFS GO! :flagcanada:

Its the soccer logo, the church logo looks similar.

Wow, I've been to the ACC so many times, and I never really looked at the banners carefully. Next time I go, I'm gonna look carefully.

Nice post, I learnt from it and I understand the Leafs and hockey more.

no problem. glad i could clear up the mess that is the maple leafs' history.

Archived