Baseball Cards and a Logo

TwoRsAndTwoLs

Those of you who've been around a while here may remember my posting of this:

DanielCard.jpg

(I post this one because it's me)

Well, I thought I would work towards a set for the next "season." Since I don't have pictures, I started off with a couple of my favorite professionals.

Z-Ichiro2005.jpgZ-Griffey2005.jpg

The only problem in doing cards like that is that I will have to do more than wordmarks... now I'm going to have to do complete logos. With that in mind, I give you the Baxter Barnstormers.

Concept-BaxterBarnstormers.jpg

NOTE: The man in there is "Mr. Monopoly" or "Rich Uncle Pennybags," if you didn't notice, from the various and sundry baseball versions of Monopoly. You might guess, I have a Mariners' version.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

The Monopoly guy making a Jim Edmonds-esque over-the-shoulder catch? Nice! :lol:

The cards look good too, but I'd like to see more of a border, maybe with the team colours worked in somehow, around them.

With that in mind, I give you the Baxter Barnstormers.

Concept-BaxterBarnstormers.jpg

Shame is, if Pennybags hadn't lost a step or two over the years, he wouldn't have to make the circus catches.

Love the execution of the logo, but Uncle Pennybags isn't what I think of when I think of barnstormers. The origin of the word dates back to stunt pilots and flying circuses performing at county fairs. It was then expanded to traveling baseball teams, and politicians making speeches. Maybe throw some aviator goggles on him, and ditch the tophat, and the idea would be better reinforced.

Or go with the Baxter Billionaire$... :P

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Shame is, if Pennybags hadn't lost a step or two over the years, he wouldn't have to make the circus catches.

Love the execution of the logo, but Uncle Pennybags isn't what I think of when I think of barnstormers.Β  The origin of the word dates back to stunt pilots and flying circuses performing at county fairs.Β  It was then expanded to traveling baseball teams, and politicians making speeches.Β  Maybe throw some aviator goggles on him, and ditch the tophat, and the idea would be better reinforced.

All very valid points. I was looking to use the baseballized term of Barnstormers, and I thought Pennybags fit the idea in some ways because of the style he is drawn in. I mean, it's a very classy old-school style.... What I really wanted to do is take Pennybags and put him in a very "Mr. Red" pose, much like "Advance to St. Charles Place," but with a bat in his forward hand, and a knapsack on the back of it, to have the idea of running from place to place always ready for a game.

However, As of now I lack the artistic talent/patience to do that, and I really like how this turned out.

And while I'm here, I may as well post this just for fun:

Pennybags.jpg

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

What I really wanted to do is take Pennybags and put him in a very "Mr. Red" pose, much like "Advance to St. Charles Place," but with a bat in his forward hand, and a knapsack on the back of it, to have the idea of running from place to place always ready for a game.

That would be sheer and utter brilliance. I hope you give that a shot, because such a concept deserves to see the light of day.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

What I really wanted to do is take Pennybags and put him in a very "Mr. Red" pose, much like "Advance to St. Charles Place," but with a bat in his forward hand, and a knapsack on the back of it, to have the idea of running from place to place always ready for a game.

That would be sheer and utter brilliance. I hope you give that a shot, because such a concept deserves to see the light of day.

i second that. that would be one sweet logo

Phenomenal. These are so good it's not funny. I would love to see someone put these into everyday use. They're that good - colors, wordmark, logo, everything. One critique on "Swingin' Dick Pennybags Jr.": his top hand (right hand) is upside-down. His thumb should be farthest from the knob of the bat with the other fingers wrapped around the handle. But it looks like you can see two fingers there. It looks more like he's holding a telescope with his hand positioned that way.

These are great.

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived