NCAA New Football Uniforms

slapshot

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... but, then again, I like Penn State's as well.

football.jpg

When this:

10013_tn.jpg

was their logo, I thought it wouldn't be a major violation of the simplicity of the uniform to put it on the helmet.

But since they've moved on to a new one, it wouldn't work quite as well.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

... but, then again, I like Penn State's as well.

football.jpg

When this:

10013_tn.jpg

was their logo, I thought it wouldn't be a major violation of the simplicity of the uniform to put it on the helmet.

But since they've moved on to a new one, it wouldn't work quite as well.

PSU still uses that logo- it's in the end zones. I love their unis. It's a great, classic look that really says PSU. No need to change that. Like the Michigan home, Alabama, OSU, just a great uniform.

spikes.jpg

p601649reg.jpg

The "chipmunk" logo, as we so affectionately call it, was developed in 1983 after the 1st national championship and is our primary logo.

The "pride" logo (shown below) debuted in the late '90s and is being phased out because it just plain sucks, and doesn't have anywhere near the brand recognition of the chimpmunk.

psu.gif

football.jpg

I am a lot more appreciative of simpler uniforms these days so I can tolerate PSU's a little more. However, I do not like the thick white stripes on the neckline and sleeves. It just doesn't look good to me and I would prefer no stripe at all (like the old red Arizona Cardinals jerseys):

psu.jpg

That said, though, I realize that stripe is pretty unique to PSU and has been there forever, so I realize it must stay...

LT

Troy will be getting new unis this year. They are on the new NCAA 2006 Football game.

Well, I thought they did great with their improvised transitional togs from last year. Just so long as they don't toy with that gorgeous helmet.

That being said, regardless of what they do, I'm fully expecting you to snag me a jersey for delivery when you travel to Columbia for the MU-TU game on Sept. 17. :P

I think what would look great is if Penn State put the oval or "chipmunk logo on the right side of the helmet only. I think that logo is one of the best in college football, and they would still be honoring the past with the left side being left plain. But let's not forget, that it was not that long ago Penn State had numbers on the side of their helmets. It's not like it's been that way forever.

Not I-A, but I-AA national champion James Madison University is getting new uniforms courtesy of Nike. There hasn't been a writeup or pictures on the JMU site, but an article about it appeared last week in the Harrisonburg Daily News-Record:

Football Dukes Get Swooshed

MIKE BARBER Daily News-Record

When the swoosh comes calling, you listen.

So after winning the Division I-AA football championship, James Madison has signed a five-year contract with Nike, making the company the sole supplier of uniforms, apparel, shoes and equipment for the Dukes.

"At Nike, their marketing is so good that it really enhances our recruiting," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said this week. "Kids like that swoosh on their jersey."

Not only do the Dukes now have that swoosh on their jerseys, they have it on brand new jerseys.

JMU has replaced its dated uniforms with a new look that includes trendy side panels. The uniforms will make their debut when the Dukes open the 2005 season at home on Sept. 3 against Lock Haven.

One thing, however, will remain the same.

"The only thing that we're not going to ever change is the gold helmet with that block JMU," Matthews said. "All great football programs never change their helmets."

The Dukes will wear two different uniform combinations on the road. On artificial turf, they plan to don all-white uniforms with purple side panels. On grass, however, that ensemble would pick up too many stains, so the team will wear white jerseys with purple pants when playing at natural-turf fields.

"Our players really wanted to wear white pants really bad," Matthews said. "I gave in to their wishes."

At home, the Dukes opted for solid purple jerseys and either white or purple pants - Matthews said he and the team haven't decided.

JMU's players apparently have given the new look a thumbs up.

"The white jerseys are just crazy," tailback Alvin Banks said. "They got the purple stripe down the side, and all Nike jerseys have the tight fit."

The tight fit isn't just for fashion - it has some function too, Banks said.

"Once you start sweating, they start drooping," Banks said. "With the tight fit, guys can't grab on you."

In addition to the cachet of the swoosh, the new deal with Nike gives JMU discount prices for uniforms, apparel, shoes and equipment.

The school also has a chance for some freebies.

If the Dukes reach the playoffs, they'll get $5,000 worth of Nike products. If they reach the national-championship game, they'll get another $5,000 worth of goodies.

Last year, JMU wore Russell jerseys and pants. Their apparel - such as warmups and coaches' outfits - came from Adidas. Matthews said only Adidas and Nike bid for the new JMU contract.

"The bidding was fairly intense to see who we were going to go with because of all our national television exposure," Matthews said. "We just felt like Nike was the best option for our football program."

As part of the deal, Matthews must speak at a Nike Coach of the Year clinic. He won't be paid but will have his travel expenses covered.

Matthews, in his sixth year at Madison, said he was happy with the service his team got from Adidas, but is also happy to have the Nike name and logo associated with JMU.

"Nike to young athletes is like McDonald's is," Matthews said. "Anyone that has a child that's 5 years old knows you don't drive by McDonalds. They attack their brain."

Neither JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne, who signed the contract, nor a Nike spokesman could be reached for comment.

Madison equipment manager Pete Johnson said the school replaces a full set of game jerseys every three years and buys replacement jerseys as needed in the off years. Graduating seniors get to keep their jerseys.

The 2004 seniors were presented with their championship-game jerseys - complete with championship-game patches - at the team banquet after the season. Juniors, sophomores and freshmen who played in the title bout will get their championship-game jerseys when they graduate.

There is no monetary value attached to the Nike contract, which runs from June 1, 2005, to May 31, 2010.

Nike gets two complimentary tickets to each home game.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad that JMU is hitting the big-time! My stepmom went there back in the Gary Clark era (former 'Skins WR).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Denver Post Article

Seeking "unity, synergy," CU buffs up its logo

By John Henderson

Denver Post Staff Writer

DenverPost.com

Boulder - In an attempt to "create a unity and synergy across the board," University of Colorado leaders introduced a new Buffalo logo Tuesday, featuring a slightly italicized "CU."

The presentation of the first logo change in 24 years was introduced at a news conference complete with a video and athletes modeling new uniforms.

Though very similar to the old logo of a charging buffalo with an interlocking "CU" inside, the new buffalo is outlined in gold and leaning slightly forward, as is the "CU."

The Nike-sponsored project began 18 months ago to get all CU sports teams under the same umbrella in terms of logo and uniform lettering.

"We're trying to unify the Buffs," athletic director Mike Bohn said. "There's no question now is the time to do that."

For more than a year, CU's athletic department has faced allegations of mismanagement, including accusations that alcohol and sex were used to recruit football players. CU's athletic director, chancellor and president have resigned in the past year.

But Tuesday, university officials emphasized the positives - past and present.

Using the phrase "Respect the past, represent the future," the school did not want a radical change from the old logo, a replica of the popular live buffalo mascot, Ralphie. Said Nike representative Chris McClure, "The 'CU' is modernized but not taken too far from the tradition of the university."

The presentation, before a Dal Ward Center conference packed with staff members, featured Colorado athletes modeling new uniforms for football, men's and women's basketball and volleyball.

The most radical changes are to the basketball and volleyball uniforms. Basketball will feature black uniforms with gold stripes down the side and "COLORADO" in uniform block letters.

Gold uniforms will read "BUFFALOES," to represent the Golden Buffaloes, a nickname still occasionally used.

"I think the message is consistency across the board," football coach Gary Barnett said. "What you teach in athletics is always to be consistent. ... I think this ties into that."

CU, however, will alter the names when it begins selling merchandise in Spanish reading "Los Bufalos de Colorado," "Los Bufalos" and "Vamos Bufalos."

Around campus Tuesday, several students said they were indifferent to the change. But Mike Hardy, who just graduated last week, said it's good to see CU keeping up with the times.

"I definitely think they needed to progress," he said. "They just need to do something to get some good press."

Anne Dagdelen, who owns the College Corner apparel store, said she was excited about the new merchandise her store will receive over the next year.

"It's always fun to have something fresh," she said. "I already have a coffee mug with the new logo."

A spokeswoman for the state Department of Revenue said it is unclear if it will change a specialized license plate with the CU logo. More than 7,000 vehicles are registered with the plates.

If they do, I'm sure they'll go to the same Nike uniforms that Missouri, Clemson, Zona, Miami, et al. have switched to.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

F108751.jpg

F108752.jpg

As stated in anther thread,USF is using new unis this year for their move to the Big East, and yes that is a new helmet too (black logo and facemask). Dont ask me why its black when our colors are green and gold

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Miami is going to be wearing 1967 throwback uniforms on Saturday October 29, 2005 when they play North Carolina at the Orange Bowl.

020035.jpg

FF110559Alt1_xl.jpg

FF110559Alt2_xl.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Baylor is going to the throwbacks they wore for homecoming last year (including the striped socks), full time this year. The players requested the old school look.

The bottom right is the throwback, others are what they used to wear. I like the simple unis better.

BUfb1-640.jpg

football.jpg

I am a lot more appreciative of simpler uniforms these days so I can tolerate PSU's a little more. However, I do not like the thick white stripes on the neckline and sleeves. It just doesn't look good to me and I would prefer no stripe at all (like the old red Arizona Cardinals jerseys):

psu.jpg

That said, though, I realize that stripe is pretty unique to PSU and has been there forever, so I realize it must stay...

LT

That stripe hasn't been there forever. They added it maybe 10 years ago. A lot of the older players and fans thought it was ridiculous. To them it's like the Miami jerseys with all the crazey stripes.

F108751.jpg

F108752.jpg

As stated in anther thread,USF is using new unis this year for their move to the Big East, and yes that is a new helmet too (black logo and facemask).  Dont ask me why its black when our colors are green and gold

The black was added to the logo on the football helmet for visibility. I'm not quite sure about the black face mask...

Archived