Sign in to follow this  
Brass

Things about sports movies....

Ever wondered something about a sports movie? I have, and here's one of my questions:

Why in the Mighty Ducks, are the Whalers wearing their home jerseys?

Because it's a Disney movie, where all rules of logic and reality do not apply.

Because it's a Disney movie, where all rules of logic and reality do not apply.

Couldn't have said it any better

The rules of hockey dont apply in a Disney movie either. I read the famed "flying V" is about 15 feet offsides.

The rules of hockey dont apply in a Disney movie either. I read the famed "flying V" is about 15 feet offsides.

That's what always bugged me the most.

The out of order batting lineup in Major League is another one that irks me.

EDIT: I'm sorry, the order was utterly impossible, not out of order. My bad.

in the mighty ducks, how the one kid was hit from behind into the post, knocked out, etc, and only a 2 minute penalty. no way that happens in the pros, much less minor hockey.

in the bad news bears and some others, how they only use one pitcher for just about every inning of every game.

Tommorrow, I will post my little speel about all the wrong things with the Mighty Ducks.

in the mighty ducks, how the one kid was hit from behind into the post, knocked out, etc, and only a 2 minute penalty. no way that happens in the pros, much less minor hockey.

in the bad news bears and some others, how they only use one pitcher for just about every inning of every game.

In the original Bad News Bears they did show and also infer that Rudy still did some pitching after Amanda joined--now they also implied a game a week--so the same starting pircher is not a problem...

here's another Disney inconsistency, in "The Rookie" with Dennis Quaid, when Jim Morris makes his Major League debut, he is wearing the current D-Rays unis, when in reality Jim Morris was with the D-Rays when they had their rainbow gradient look, he never wore the new unis.

The most annoying thing in sports movies exspecially the Mighty Ducks is when i guy is a left handed shot and the goalie catches with his left hand the player comes downthe right side and shoots suddenly he's a right hand shot then the goalie makes a glove save with his right hand that's how you know there more then one of each character

Ever wondered something about a sports movie? I have, and here's one of my questions:

Why in the Mighty Ducks, are the Whalers wearing their home jerseys?

Simple reason...

They shot the footage during the 91-92 season...

That year, in the 2nd half of the season, the teams "switched" up their jerseys...wearing the road ones at home and the home ones on the road...it was, as the NHL said "to give the fans a chance to see the team's road uniform for once"...

I remember going to a Whalers game that season vs. Detroit where the Whale was rocking the green and the Wings were in their home whites.

here's another Disney inconsistency, in "The Rookie" with Dennis Quaid, when Jim Morris makes his Major League debut, he is wearing the current D-Rays unis, when in reality Jim Morris was with the D-Rays when they had their rainbow gradient look, he never wore the new unis.

What bugged me more was the fact that the scout earlier in the movie was wearing the rainbow gradient cap.

EDIT: First time in my life I had seen over the loudspeaker play-by-play. :rolleyes:

In the original Bad News Bears they did show and also infer that Rudy still did some pitching after Amanda joined--now they also implied a game a week--so the same starting pircher is not a problem...

The Sports Guy mentioned this, but in Breaking Training somehow Kelly Leak Goes 3-for-3 in a four-inning game in which the Bears score only six runs.

Two semi-gaping holes with the original Bears movie. First, why didn't Buttermaker consider pitching Kelly Leak? Really? This was the only team in the history of Little League that buried its best athlete in center field? You're telling me he couldn't have done better than Rudi Stein in the final Yankees game? (By the way, the parallels between Rudi in that game and Calvin Schiraldi in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series are simply staggering, right down to their gawky bodies and deer-in-the-headlights look.) And second, why bat Rudi between Kelly and Engelberg? Who doesn't put their best two hitters back to back? That always bugged me.

But those were mere appetizers compared with the Bears' head-scratching batting order at the Astrodome that ranks right up there with the "How did Buddy end up back on Hickory High?" and "Why did Rocky's son age seven full years while Rocky was away in Russia?" as one of the most unanswerable sports movie subplots. Here's how the four-inning game plays out:

First inning: Tanner, Ahmed and Engelberg (the 1-2-3 batters) all make outs. Why Kelly wasn't batting third, we'll never know.

Second inning: Kelly doubles. Feldman flies out. Toby singles. Then Miguel Agilar (the Mark Bellhorn of this team) grounds into a double play. So far, we've seen all seven Bears batters, with the 8-9-1 part of the order coming up.

Third inning: We see three at-bats -- Ahmad's triple, Engelberg's fly out, and Kelly's homer to make it 5-2 after three. Since Ahmad was allegedly the fourth batter of the inning, we missed the 8-9-1 batters, plus, someone else made the last out. So either the director fell asleep, or Mike Leak used the "Let Them Play!" hiatus to move his batting order around and hoped the Toros didn't notice. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Fourth inning: Toby bats first and singles, followed by Ogilvie grounding out. Who comes up next? That's right, Kelly Leak! Somehow the Toros don't notice this, even though he's the only threat on the Bears. Anyway, Kelly singles -- putting him a triple away from the cycle. He's followed by Jose Agilar (the Jeremy Giambi to Miguel's Jason Giambi), who strikes out on three pitches. Rudi Stein comes up next (maybe pinch hitting?) and gets hit by a pitch. Then Carmen strikes a inside-the-park grand slam for the dramatic 6-5 win.

The question remains: How did Kelly bat for three consecutive innings? Did they think we wouldn't catch this? Was there a subplot in which William Devane pulled Kelly aside and said, "Listen, we need runs, I'm sending you up there every inning until somebody notices"? And why won't Terry Francona try this tactic with David Ortiz? Regardless, I'm calling this the second-best Beneficial Sports Movie Glitch of all-time.

In the movie Mr. 3000, the Brewers are playing a game in the mid 1990s at Miller Park, which didnt exist yet. In that scene, most of the Brewers players are wearing the correct mid 1990s jerseys (with the green, and the interlocking MB), but in the dugout some are clearly wearing the current Brewers jerseys.

In Miracle, the clock during the games is shown counting down. In International hockey (if I remember correctly, it's been a while since Salt Lake City), the clock counts UP!

And one of the biggest ones of all:

In Field of Dreams, Shoeless Joe Jackson is shown to be a right-handed hitter. He batted left-handed. (He did throw right handed, however).

In Miracle, the clock during the games is shown counting down. In International hockey (if I remember correctly, it's been a while since Salt Lake City), the clock counts UP!

The clock counted down in Lake Placid. I've seen Al Michaels yelling that quote I can't seem to remember so many times and know the clock at the bottom of the screen was counting down.

How about in Major League 2, made in 1994, the Indians are playing at Cleveland Stadium, but it actually looks like Jacobs Field. The jeresys were out of date as well, Cleveland switched to their current jeresys in '94, but wear the 1986-1993 uniforms.

The first one was weird too because all of the on field action took place at County Stadium in Milwaukee.

How about in Major League 2, made in 1994, the Indians are playing at Cleveland Stadium, but it actually looks like Jacobs Field. The jeresys were out of date as well, Cleveland switched to their current jeresys in '94, but wear the 1986-1993 uniforms.

The first one was weird too because all of the on field action took place at County Stadium in Milwaukee.

The film was actually shot at Camden Yards. Jacobs Field was under construction as the movie was being filmed. In one shot, I think its of a home run being hit you can clearly see the warehouse in right.

Camden Yards, actually. They wanted to film at the Jake, but construction wasn't finished. So they shot at Camden.

It's also possible they used the '93 uniforms during filming in order to maintain continuity from Major League. Or the new Indians unies hadn't been unveiled when filming started. I really don't know, but those are two good guesses.