Sign in to follow this  
Brass

Things about sports movies....

ok i have a couple....in "The Fan" there is a shot of a giants player hitting a home run during a home game but then it cuts to the jumbotron and he is wearing a road uniform. Also....."The Fan" takes place in 1996. During one of the games the Cardinals are playing at Candlestick against the giants and they are wearing red hats. The cardinals switched to their current navy blue road hats for the 100th anniversary season in 1992.

ok so i lied i have more than a couple....in "Angels in the Outfield" the angels play three consecutive home games but each game is against a different team. Correct me if i'm wrong but the last time i checked baseball was played in a minimum of two game series' but who knows i could be crazy.

most of the world would find us nuts for noticing these things....but they just don't understand.

In the horrendous movie The Babe, there are so many errors it's crazy:

1. It shows Babe Ruth hitting a Home Run for the Red Sox in his first season (1914). He didn't hit a homer until 1915.

2. Players are seen in the wrong year or with the wrong team.

here's another Disney inconsistency, in "The Rookie" with Dennis Quaid, when Jim Morris makes his Major League debut, he is wearing the current D-Rays unis, when in reality Jim Morris was with the D-Rays when they had their rainbow gradient look, he never wore the new unis.

Funny thing is if you saw that film in DVD, you can see the extras showing the real Jim Morris using the correct uniform. And Jim Morris helped to make that film.

Disney had that DVD extras in hand and didn't shot the film with the accurate uniforms with Dennis Quaid.

In Field of Dreams, Shoeless Joe Jackson is shown to be a right-handed hitter. He batted left-handed. (He did throw right handed, however).

Ah! That one I also noticed.

Another thing I spotted in that film was the incorrect Philadelphia A's... there were 2 guys wearing the old A's uniforms supposedly from the 1929-31 Mack's teams... but instead the dark blue, there was green!

not sports logic, but in Bad News Bears, at the end of the title game, the kid that was always throwing his glove opened the bottle of beer twice

Here's some stuff I found on Movie Mistakes:

For The Rookie:

The Rangers 1999 ballclub the Devil Rays are playing looks eerily similar to the 2001 Rangers ballclub. If you look closely, you will see Alex Rodriguez scoring on a base hit. He wasn't signed until the 2001 season

For MASH (okay, okay, not a sports film, but does have a sports sequence):

In the football game scene, the players all have helmets with modern style (1970's) face guards.In 1951, the time period of the film, no face guards were used.

ok i have a couple....in "The Fan" there is a shot of a giants player hitting a home run during a home game but then it cuts to the jumbotron and he is wearing a road uniform. Also....."The Fan" takes place in 1996. During one of the games the Cardinals are playing at Candlestick against the giants and they are wearing red hats. The cardinals switched to their current navy blue road hats for the 100th anniversary season in 1992.

Here's one from the Fan...

Somehow, DiNiro gets onto the field as an Umpire. Then he's holding only a knife....and nobody stops him. I mean come on, can't a security guard or another ball player take him out? Its just a knife!

That's kinda a mistake.

In the horrendous movie The Babe, there are so many errors it's crazy:

1. It shows Babe Ruth hitting a Home Run for the Red Sox in his first season (1914). He didn't hit a homer until 1915.

2. Players are seen in the wrong year or with the wrong team.

That movie was filmed (well alot of it) in Danville Stadium in Danville, IL. Its about 30 mins from where I live, and I got to play some HS and Legion games in it. You can also see some of my HS teachers in the movie as there were open casting calls for extras.

Anyway, no real point but worth mentioning.

Here's some stuff I found on Movie Mistakes:

For The Rookie:

The Rangers 1999 ballclub the Devil Rays are playing looks eerily similar to the 2001 Rangers ballclub. If you look closely, you will see Alex Rodriguez scoring on a base hit. He wasn't signed until the 2001 season

For MASH (okay, okay, not a sports film, but does have a sports sequence):

In the football game scene, the players all have helmets with modern style (1970's) face guards.In 1951, the time period of the film, no face guards were used.

Since M*A*S*H was released in 1970, they were more likely 60's style face masks, etc...

Here's a couple of mistakes in "Major League." In the final game against the Yankees two NY players wear #16 and #37. Now any third-grader knows that the Yankees retired those numbers years ago. Whitey Ford wore #16 while Casey Stengel was #37. In fairness the people who set up the uniforms were probably twenty-somethings with a limited or no knowledge of sports history.

And in "Miracle" when the USA is playing West Germany the scoreboard read "DDR." That stands for (my German isn't great) "Duetsche Democratic Republic," the official name of Communist EAST Germany. West Germany was known as the "Federal Republic of Germany," or "DFR." Unforgivable, Disney.

And did you notice that any team wearing white jerseys, except the USA, actually had on GREY sweaters. Check out Finland in the final game.

And I don't want to hear the "dramatic license" excuse. Game misconduct, Mickey! :mad:

And in "Hoosiers" why did the home team always wear dark uniforms? I've been involved with high school basketball since 1958 and have seen pictures from the '40s. The home team ALWAYS wore WHITE! :blink:

When the Ducks do the flying V they actually pass the puck to head guy to stay onsides. In D3, why is goldberg wearing players skates when he should be wearing goalie skates.

The Program is probably the best sports movie not seen by a lot of people. How about Major League 3? So many things wrong with that movie. They don't play the right teams a lot single A teams and AA teams. The field has cage for backstop. Their is a house behind the buzz home run fence.

The worst thing ever in a sports movie?

Without a doubt the Knights unis for Any Given Sunday. Revolutionary, but bad, very bad.

The Program is probably the best sports movie not seen by a lot of people.

I've seen it and have it on DVD :D

The worst thing ever in a sports movie?

Without a doubt the Knights unis for Any Given Sunday. Revolutionary, but bad, very bad.

Speaking of Any Given Sunday,does it bother anybody that the Miami Sharks wears all black in the city of Miami?