NL West

Swiss

I can't believe it. The SD Padres lose for 13th time in last 15 games... and they are still leaders!!!

If you go to Sports Yahoo right now, you can see a poll "Will the NL West champion finish below .500?", its provisional results are Yes 47% 9820 votes and No 53% 11019 votes...

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

It is a little embarassing, but its sorda funny tooif the leader does finish under 500. The problem though is that theyre going to start playing each other so all the teams cant keep losing.....some of em have to win more. i think the dodgers are still gonna come back and win.

teamsnew2.png

See you... the last of the NL East has more wins than losses... and maybe will not qualify to the playoffs...

pennants.png

Yep, gotta love it when the Mets are a game or two over .500 and stuck in last place in probably the most competative division in baseball, while the Pads are 3 games under .500 and are leading...

Yah, someone will win the NL West, but it's gonna probably be by default. Besides, I don't see ANY of the "contenders" from the West (SD, Zona, LA) lasting longer than 4 games in the playoffs (seeing more than likely, they'll play St. Louis)...

Can we just have the top 2 from the East and Central go to the playoffs in the NL this year? :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Yeah but what if baseball had done something smart like put Houston in the NL West where they belong and the Rockies (or D-Backs) in the AL West (where there is only 4 teams!!)

Back to reality, they play each other too much at the end of the year. Someone will get "warm" and end up a few games over .500

Yeah but what if baseball had done something smart like put Houston in the NL West where they belong and the Rockies (or D-Backs) in the AL West (where there is only 4 teams!!)

We've been over this a million times as to why this cannot be done.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Back to reality, they play each other too much at the end of the year. Someone will get "warm" and end up a few games over .500

Sure! A few series won against division rivals and the NL West leader will end the season over .500...

...only for being swept later in the NLDS...

pennants.png

really? can someone give me a rundown on why not

really? can someone give me a rundown on why not

Simple...

15 teams in each league=1 interleague series pretty much at all times....

It works much better this way as is (16-14)

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Yuppers. The D-Backs were supposed to go to the AL West in 1998, but the D-Backs original owner, Jerry Colangelo, complained so much that AZ went to the NL West, and to balance it out the Brew Crew went "National" that first year as well.

Originally, there was talks that Interleague in 1997 was a precursor to 1998 where there was at least one Interleague Series going on in the season.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I know it doesn't compare, but didn't the Hurricanes win the Southeast Division in 1998-99 with a below .500 record that they wouldn't have qualified for the playoffs if it weren't for the guarantee spots? (The reason why the NHL shouldn't go to 20 teams in the playoffs.)

As for the NL West, kinda sad yet funny, that the Giants are about 12 games under .500, yet only 6 1/2 behind the Baja California Padres de San Diego.

I think an ESPN analyst said that if the Brewers were in the NL West, they'd lead the division.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Hahahahahaha, "Baja California Padres de San Diego", good hit! :D

Fortunately the Dbacks are in the NL West... I got custom watching them against the Dogs, Jints, Pads and Rocks and I like how the division is formed since 1998.

pennants.png

Yuppers. The D-Backs were supposed to go to the AL West in 1998, but the D-Backs original owner, Jerry Colangelo, complained so much that AZ went to the NL West, and to balance it out the Brew Crew went "National" that first year as well.

Originally, there was talks that Interleague in 1997 was a precursor to 1998 where there was at least one Interleague Series going on in the season.

In fact, wasn't it part of the D-Backs expansion agreement that they be in the NL and not be moved?

And imagine Coors Field in the AL, with the DH and all... *shudder*

There's one way to do 15-15 BESIDES one interleague series a week(it involves starting new series on all 7 days of the week, and structuring it so that off days also can come on any day of the week), but suffice to say, it would be an absolutely brutal job for anyone making the schedule as well as horrible for broadcasting purposes, and frankly, would turn out worse than the current 16-14 setup.

I hope they do something down the road. I'm all for contraction, but it's getting harder and harder to pick teams to contract. You've got a team starting over again in Washington, who knows how much better the Rockies could be with a different stadium, the Royals actually have World Series under their belt, and the Devil Rays constantly have this young, improving team. I think the league will wind up expanding to 32, which will correct all of this.

When and if that happens, I'd like to see how they split up the divisions. You'd figure the pressure would be on to be like the NFL, with each division winner going to the playoffs. It might be tough with four divisions of 8, cause in that scenario, you'd either have first place meaning nothing or seven teams in a division with no chance of being represented... yuck.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I know it doesn't compare, but didn't the Hurricanes win the Southeast Division in 1998-99 with a below .500 record that they wouldn't have qualified for the playoffs if it weren't for the guarantee spots? (The reason why the NHL shouldn't go to 20 teams in the playoffs.)

Carolina was actually 9 games above .500 at 35 26 16 5 and I think they would have been the 7th seed if it werent for division leaders getting 1,2,3. And they arent going to 20 teams in the playoffs.

Also, does anyone know if a division winner has ever been below .500?

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

Archived