NCAA won't ban Indian nicknames in regular season

officeglenn

See, you obviously realize how ridiculous it all is.

Yes. You're right.

I don't think they should change their names at all, especially under political pressure from the NCAA. And yes, this is an example of the NCAA cow-towing to political correctness.

My only gripe is that the most common arguments made for keeping these names is that it's silly that people are offended by them. That American Indians should be honored.

But the people that came into my newspaper office at UND to plead with me about the name change, the same people that blocked intersections and held sit-ins, weren't just paying lip service. There was no way of telling these people they shouldn't be offended. They were offended. They might have been a small minority, but they deserved the same respect as anybody else trying to make their argument.

And for the record, I'm offended by the number 1998, the # sign, and every algebra equation ever pondered.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think it's ridiculous that people are offended, but that's my opinion. If people are offended, fine. My problem is that in most of the articles I've read, it seems that most Native Americans don't have a problem with it, so why should the NCAA. They are basically saying, "you should be offended and here's why." It's basically a bunch of elitist white guys saying what is offensive or "hostile" and what isn't. It's ridiculous.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

It's basically a bunch of elitist white guys saying what is offensive or "hostile" and what isn't. It's ridiculous.

... and who's making the counter-argument? Thats' right. Elitist white guys.

The real voices should be heard from the native Americans, not us, not the NCAA, maybe not even the universities.

I saw, I came, I left.

It's basically a bunch of elitist white guys saying what is offensive or "hostile" and what isn't. It's ridiculous.

... and who's making the counter-argument? Thats' right. Elitist white guys.

The real voices should be heard from the native Americans, not us, not the NCAA, maybe not even the universities.

"That's a great point." -- Elitist White Guy.

So this is not the voice of native Americans...

"In 2002, Sports Illustrated published a survey of American Indians living on and off reservations. More than eight in 10 approved the use of Indian names and mascots for college and pro teams; a slight majority even approved of the clearly questionable "Redskins."

vandelay.jpg

So this is not the voice of native Americans...

"In 2002, Sports Illustrated published a survey of American Indians living on and off reservations. More than eight in 10 approved the use of Indian names and mascots for college and pro teams; a slight majority even approved of the clearly questionable "Redskins."

You might want to check out one of my previous posts.....

I saw, I came, I left.

I hate it when people post long articles, but i thought this was relevant...

Oklahoma Seminoles back FSU on mascot

By TOM D'ANGELO

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, August 11, 2005

TALLAHASSEE ? On the same day Florida State's Board of Trustees gave President T.K. Wetherell its support to fight the NCAA's ban on Native American mascots and nicknames, the university picked up a major ally.

Ken Chambers, principal chief of the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma, the group the NCAA said was opposed to Florida State's use of the Seminole name, said Wednesday he does not have a problem with the use of Native American nicknames and mascots.

A motion in July by the Oklahoma nation to denounce the use of Native American nicknames and images in sports and other events failed by an 18-2 vote, according to Oklahoma tribal officials.

"We feel like it gives the type of recognition that allows people to identify with the name Seminoles," Chambers said of Florida State's nickname. "As far as the mascot itself, it is not degrading to us. It is not humiliating."

Chambers' comments were good news for Wetherell.

"This is just further evidence ... the problem has been created by the NCAA," Wetherell said. "It seems to me at some point the Seminole Tribe, be it Oklahoma or Florida, is owed an apology by the NCAA for starting this mess.

"I think they have embarrassed themselves."

The NCAA was not aware of the Oklahoma nation's vote or Chambers' stance, said Bob Williams, managing director of public and media relations.

"We have never seen those comments before," Williams said. "Everything we've read from the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma through this process has been that they do not support the use of Native American imagery and mascots."

Chambers' support will not necessarily force the NCAA to change its decision, Williams said.

"It's important to note that one particular group stating that they don't have a problem with the use of imagery or a mascot doesn't necessarily mean that everybody else in the country would feel the same way," he said.

High-powered support

Wetherell already believed he had a strong enough case to appeal the NCAA's ban on "hostile and abusive" nicknames and mascots in postseason play or to possibly file a lawsuit. Even Gov. Jeb Bush has criticized the NCAA's decision.

"I like my odds," Wetherell said. "I haven't gone into most elections with this much lined up behind me. I've got the brother of the president pretty happy and that's unusual for me. I've got the legislature pretty happy. I've got congressmen pretty happy. I've got lawyers telling me we don't know whether we want to beat them on a constitutional issue (or) a legal issue. I'm pretty confident right now."

Bush believes the NCAA is being too "politically correct."

"The folks that make these decisions need to get out more often,'' he said Tuesday.

In a self-evaluation FSU gave to NCAA regarding its use of the Seminole nickname and symbols, the school highlighted the history of its only nickname since 1947 and included a resolution adopted by the Tribal Council of the Seminole Tribe of Florida in support of the university.

Support from the Oklahoma nation is further proof of FSU's respect of the Seminoles, university Vice President Lee Hinkle said.

"We are extremely heartened by the news from the Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma," Hinkle said. "We have been saying all along that we are deeply respectful of the Seminole Tribe of Florida and all Indian tribes and we think by this news it has been apparent to the Oklahoma tribe we intend no disrespect."

Last week, the NCAA cited 18 universities that use "hostile or abusive" nicknames, including FSU, the Illinois Fighting Illini and the Utah Utes. Beginning Feb. 1, schools hosting or playing in NCAA postseason events this season must cover up offensive nicknames, logos and mascots.

In the future, offending schools will not be allowed to host NCAA postseason events unless they change their nickname and mascot.

"We are highly insulted by this NCAA action and we will not stand by and let this happen without a fight," said Jim Smith, chairman of the FSU Board of Trustees.

Wetherell, who said he attempted to contact the NCAA for five days, heard back Tuesday in the form of a letter outlining the appeals process.

The NCAA will allow FSU to argue that its use of Native American names, symbols or mascots does not create a hostile or abusive environment. The school also could seek to modify the policy.

"They want us to appeal back to the same committee," Wetherell said. "We need some assurance in the process that it is going to be a fair fight."

FSU officials have compiled several concerns about the policy, including what they call a "clandestine" process to reach the decision, and the exclusion of other questionable mascots and symbols such as Southern California's Trojan Warrior.

"The flawed process raised the very fundamental question of whether this was an association recommendation or one driven by a small special-interest group with personal agendas," FSU Athletic Director Dave Hart said.

In case the appeal process fails, Wetherell is preparing to go to court. He plans to use attorney Barry Richard, who led the successful legal challenge on behalf of President Bush during the 2000 election recount in Florida.

Trustee Jim Thrasher already is looking beyond the appeal.

"I think we ought to sue them," he said during Wednesday's emergency board meeting.

U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez called the NCAA's policy "disrespectful and insulting" in a statement he issued Tuesday.

"The NCAA has found a way to unify Democrats, Republicans, Washington, the state of Florida," Wetherell said. "What we could not do, they have the ability to do."

vandelay.jpg

eventually PETA's going to go after all the animal mascots, 

well guess what PETA is launching and attack to have the name "Gamecocks" banned

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2005/aug...ecocks_ban.html

PETA wants NCAA "Gamecocks" ban

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

PETA recently contacted the presidents of the University of South Carolina and Jacksonville State University and suggested that the schools consider changing the names of their sports teams, both of which are called the Gamecocks. We pointed out that the Washington Wizards team changed its name from the Bullets after deciding that it didn?t want to be associated with violence, so it can be done.

The Gamecocks are named after birds used in cockfighting. These birds are pumped full of stimulants, hormones, and blood-clotting drugs. They have sharp blades attached to their legs to make the fights more exciting, i.e., bloodier. The birds routinely suffer hideous injuries, such as broken legs and wings, punctured lungs, and split eyes and are left to die outside the ring. Cockfighting is illegal in all but three states, and is a felony in South Carolina.

Gamecocks is just a strange name. Hell, half the guys on this board are probably young/immature enough to titter with giggles at the mention of the name.....as well as giggle at the mention of the word "titter"...but that's besides the point. <_<

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Gamecocks is just a strange name. Hell, half the guys on this board are probably young/immature enough to titter with giggles at the mention of the name.....as well as giggle at the mention of the word "titter"...but that's besides the point. <_<

[titter] you said "giggle" [/titter] :D

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I think we can blame this whole problem on none other than Buffalo Bill Cody.

You may remember that Buffalo Bill introduced the Noble Red Man to areas of this world that had never seen an American Indian, had no idea what they were all about, had no idea about the Wild West. Sure, Buffalo Bill did exploit those American Indians, including Sitting Bull himself, but the idea of of the Noble Red Man caught on. People actually wanted to be like the Noble Red Man. Imitation, as is said, is the sincerest form of flattery.

So, the answer to all this: The NCAA should ban the team name of the Buffalo Bills. :D

• 1 month later...

NCAA denies UND's appeal over Fighting Sioux nickname, logo

The NCAA lightened the blow to North Dakota in one respect, staying a requirement that the school "take reasonable steps to cover up" all Indian references in March when it hosts a hockey regional in Ralph Englestad Arena ? where there are more than 2,000 Fighting Sioux logos.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

NCAA denies UND's appeal over Fighting Sioux nickname, logo
The NCAA lightened the blow to North Dakota in one respect, staying a requirement that the school "take reasonable steps to cover up" all Indian references in March when it hosts a hockey regional in Ralph Englestad Arena ? where there are more than 2,000 Fighting Sioux logos.

At least the parties involved are stating their position on this issue. If they don't want the name used, fine. Now it is on the record.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

After granting three previous appeals ? Florida State, Utah, Central Michigan ? the NCAA stood firm on its original ruling that North Dakota's sports nickname and related imagery create a "hostile or abusive environment."

How the F&^% is UND's use of an Indian nickname any more hostile than any other school!? this is getting rediculous.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The 10 Spot - Sept. 29, 2005

The NCAA denied an appeal this week by the University of North Dakota to use the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and logo. But, 10 Spot reader Bob of Powell, Ohio, may have the solution. He suggests that North Dakota keep the same pronunciation but spell the nickname "Fighting Sue," while changing the logo to a group of lawyers with briefcases. That way, all the cheers can remain the same. Then, let the NCAA's legal eagles try to stop the Fighting Sue where all red-blooded American disputes end up these days -- in court.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Archived