St. louis to get afl team in 2004

yh

KSDK Television (NBC in St.L) is reporting that a group of investors believed to include members of the St. Louis Rams ownership, the Laurie (Blues, Savvis Center) Family and Steve Ortmayer (former Rams G.M.) will receive one of the four expansion franchises the AFL plans to award for the 2004 season.  It is not believed that the team will revive the old Stampede name, logo or uniforms (the logo was dull and the uniforms followed the same format that the U. of Maryland was using at the time).  If this thing flies, I'm putting my money that we may finally get to see the St. Louis Stallions suit up for real.

Didn't the Stampede pretty much fizzle and die?  What makes them think it'll work this time?

(On a completely unrelated note, bring back the Vipers!)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Mockba - The Stampede did fizzle and die and truthfully the Vipers were part of the reason for that.  The Kiel Center Partners owned both teams and thus could not market either team with full force.  It also didn't help that the Cards were in a pennant race during the Stampede's final season.  The AFL was a much different entity in 1995 and 96 than it is today.  With a national TV contract and more participation from NFL ownership, the AFL has more exposure.  Interest in the AFL has also been on the upswing here in St. Louis since we are the home of the league's most famous alum (good luck on your MRI, today, Kurt).  As the St. Louis effort appears to be spearheaded by both the Rams and the Blues, I don't think marketing will be a problem this time around.  The real challenge will be to see if the team can get some symbiosis with the Redbirds.  It would be great for downtown St. Louis if the AFL team and the Cards (and their respective leagues) can coordinate schedules so that there is no overlap or even better if there can be a few dates where the Cards play in the afternoon and the AFL team plays at night.  Busch Stadium (and the site of the new ballpark) is within walking distance of the Savvis Center.  It would be a real bonanza for downtown St. Louis to have some day-night sports doubleheaders during the spring and summer.

The Vipers were decidedly not owned by the Kiel Center Partners, I can assure you that.  In fact, the Blues wanted little to do with the Vipers, even if Bernie Federko was running the show.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Hmmmm. You sound pretty sure of yourself so I defer to your position.  I know that when the Vipes started up in 93 they were definitely owned by separate investors from the Blues but I thought that the Kiel Center Partners, or at least some of the Civic Progress guys had a hand in the team once the Arena was closed and the Vipes were left without a home.

Archived