Western Reds concept

jr79

When Rugby League entered its great expansion phase of the early 90s in Australia, the Western Reds (from Perth) were a massive gamble. They stuck around for 3 seasons from 1995 in the old ARL/Super League competitions but were axed in favour of a Melbourne team for the newly formed NRL in 1998.

At the time they joined the ARL they had in my opinion the best jerseys in the league.

Picture here

Black and red striped design which had the white bit on the front but not the back. It was an unusual style but it was great for 1995. Reds jerseys are almost collectors items now. They wore those for 2 years and a rather dull black and red jersey in their one Super League season.

My 2005 concept is a little like the Super League jersey but less plain and more visually interesting I hope, and restores the ARL jersey's colour balance (apart from the white bit). Second jersey has more yellow to reflect the state colours of WA (black and gold). Black shorts can be worn with either set, but yellow jersey, red shorts is bad ^_^

I've kept the classic Western Red kangaroo logo which has stood the test of time.

westreds.PNG

C&C welcome.

liverpool-1.png

Ah, the Reds. Great identity, crap time to come into being. I think I still have a Reds cap somewhere...

...but I digress. Give the second a black collar, then add a pinstripe to each collar to match the striping in the body. Likewise for the socks, have a single thin stripe inside a single thick stripe with the colours as they are. Very nice.

Tweaked version taking on board some ideas that came to me late last night.

westreds2.PNG

I can't dig a striped collar Primal but yeah the second needed a black one, and I've reversed the sock striping as you suggested. I think the side panels are better in the second version with more colour.

liverpool-1.png

Archived