K-State nameless

Baldy

A change in the Wildcats uniforms for the first time since 1989. Following a tough season in 2004, K-State is emphasizing the team rather than the indvidual and eliminating the players name from the back of the jersey. Texas A&M did the same thing last season and improved by 4 games, hopefully the same results will occur for the Cats.

Yeah, like K-rap State can reach a bowl game... This season. (Had to clarify for Baldy since they have gone to many bowls in the past, but getting to a bowl is much like running with a bull: Nothing good can happen)

So the players will play better because their names are gone? Right. Perhaps it's because their jerseys are lighter without the extra lettering on them? Maybe they'll improve further by removing numbers too!

Name one school (or other team) that improved its football (or other) team by removing names from player jerseys. This is just one more big middle finger to football fans. :cursing:

Packers-2.png

So the players will play better because their names are gone? Right. Perhaps it's because their jerseys are lighter without the extra lettering on them? Maybe they'll improve further by removing numbers too!

Name one school (or other team) that improved its football (or other) team by removing names from player jerseys. This is just one more big middle finger to football fans. :cursing:

First the move itself does not improve play but sympolizes a TEAM first attitude over rampantant indivisualism that has permeated sports. Secondly how does this affect fans of the team? Please explain.

RobbyBox2.jpg

First the move itself does not improve play but sympolizes a TEAM first attitude over rampantant indivisualism that has permeated sports.

If the coaches need to do something like that to get their players to adopt a team-first attitude, they're lost already.

Secondly how does this affect fans of the team? Please explain.

Who is #15 for Kansas State? Or #34? Or #52? Perhaps the real reason KSU is doing this is to make everybody buy their $10 game programs.

Why did the AFL put names on the back of player uniforms? Why are names mandatory for all NBA, NFL and NHL teams? So their fans (whether in person or on TV) can see who is playing. It has nothing to do with the players; it has everything to do with the fans.

Packers-2.png

In this day and age of prima donnas and the me-firsters I appreciate programs that make this move. Maybe for a bowl game the coach can reward the team by putting the names on the jerseys.

I think Boston College did that in the mid-80s, around the Flutie era. For most of the season, no names, but if there was a big game or bowl game, the names would come back. In the Flutie Miracle game at Miami, the players had their names on the jerseys (in Helvetica black, which was very inconsistent between short and long names).

Teams play for the school, not the name on the back (except for Arizona, thanks to the new uniforms).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Um, USC didn't have names on the back when they became champs but Oklahoma did. LSU did. I don't think names matter in terms of success or camaraderie. But at least it give us something to talk about. Additionally, I don't agree that there is rampant individualism in college football. This is as far as 99% of these kids go and they aren?t getting paid for their services (well most of them aren?t).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

These look to be what Ole Miss will be wearing this year. They aren't practice jerseys, there isn't as much blue highlighting around the numbers, and look at #73, no name on the back. Obviously, I'd guess the navy jerseys will have a bit of red outlining. I wish they'd gone totally old school and not had any at all, but what can you do? It's a lot better than what they had the past few years.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll...381/1025/SPORTS

Note to Seadragon, as you obviously do not follow college football. K-State has been to bowl games in 93,94,95,96,97,98,99,2000,01,02,03 under Bill Snyder.

Half of Division I-A went to bowl games last year. The only two eligible teams who didn't go were South Carolina and Clemson, and that was only because the schools punished themselves for their season-ending brawl.

"Making a bowl" isn't the accomplishment it used to be now that the Bowl Season has mushroomed so much. You have to be one of the 60 best programs, which includes a lot of mediocrity.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

And another thought...for Michigan and Florida and those places, a bowl game isn't a big deal, but go talk to teams last year like Northern Illinois, UAB, Troy and the like who because of two schools being dumb, got to go to a bowl game for either the first time ever or for the first time in a couple of decades. College football isn't just the big time programs. Its about all the little guys, the MAC, Sun Belt, and others, who really do, for the most part, play for the front and not for the back. And this is coming from an Ohio State fan.

ducks-large.jpg

I've always thought that it's kind of insulting to college athletes to assume that something as petty as having their names on their uniforms would be enough for them to abandon team concepts that they would follow otherwise.

Also, can anybody explain how, in the sport of football, one can act in such a manner as to further himself but not the team? Is it not true that if each individual tries to do the best he can personally that would help the team as well?

For example, if a college WR decided to run extra wind sprints to improve his speed so he'd have a better shot at the NFL, that would also help his team because they'd have a faster WR...

Individuals who have the drive to excel and do more are not the problem. It is the defensive back who rather than play his man goes for the interception everytime and gets burned. Or the reciever who knows this play is run or he is the last option on that play and dogs it. By taking the names off jerseys will foster team unity but can be a symbol thereof.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Archived