Baseball uni #00?

teenchy

I saw this morning that Nats rookie Brandon Watson, who homered in his MLB debut last night vs. the Astros, is wearing uniform number 00:

PH2005081000065.jpg

I'm probably not following this closely enough but the last MLB player I recall wearing #00 was Jeffrey "don't call me Jeff" Leonard with the Giants (He'd switched from #26). Does anyone know if there's currently another player wearing #00 or if anyone else has worn it since Leonard? Omar Olivares maybe?

I know I should search this and if time permits I will but I thought the intrepid regulars here may have that answer closer at hand. TIA.

tzch6.jpg

I'm probably not following this closely enough but the last MLB player I recall wearing #00 was Jeffrey "don't call me Jeff" Leonard with the Giants (He'd switched from #26).  Does anyone know if there's currently another player wearing #00 or if anyone else has worn it since Leonard?  Omar Olivares maybe?

I know I should search this and if time permits I will but I thought the intrepid regulars here may have that answer closer at hand.  TIA.

Leonard also wore it when he was signed as a free agent by the Mariners in 89-90.

Also, semi-related:

In the recent past? the first major leaguer to wear number 0 (as opposed to hitting .000) was Al Oliver, starting in 1978. Whether that was because his name started in ?O? or whether he thought he didn?t get any respect? that?s hard to say. Another big zero in the uniform game is the immortal (thanks to The Ordonez Line) Rey Ordonez, who wore 0 in his first two years (1996 and 97) with the Mets ? thus matching his offensive value.

I like 00. It's unique.

And it could also be construed as a truncated 100.

I'd wear 00 if I made it to the bigs, especially if I was a closer.

Gabe Lerman - The Late-Inning Hero Who Wears Double Zero!

Nice ring, eh?

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

I thought Ed Belfour wore #00 in an all-star game a few years back. Maybe someone knows this for sure. I don't know of an NHL player wearing a fraction. Eddie Gadel wore 1/8 with the St. Louis Browns (MLB), but that's all I know of.

I thought Ed Belfour wore #00 in an all-star game a few years back.  Maybe someone knows this for sure.

I know for sure he wore #00 in the '93 All-Star Game held in Montreal.

6uXNWAo.png

Curtis Leskanic wore 00 during most of his stint with the Brewers, though he went to 36 (IIRC) in his final season in Milwaukee. Another brief Brewer, Franklin Stubbs, wore 0 back in 92. and IIRC (Chris help me out here) the Jays had both a guy wearing a single 0 and a guy wearing 00 at the same time sometime in the 80s. I know in basketball you can't have both cus 00 and 0 for scoring reasons (notably, Brendan Haywood changed his number (formerly 00) so Gilbert Arenas could keep his single 0), and the NHL and NFL don't allow it to be worn anymore (which I think is complete and utter bullplop, but whatever). Heck, I heard this fella from the Rochester Royals wore 09 back in the NBA's infancy.

eh well, I always liked 00 jerseys :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived