Penguins new 3rd jersey (rumored)

Rampart

Not sure why the Flightless Birds would want a throwback to an era when they were the worst team on the ice. They need to bring back the Mario-era unis with YELLOW, not that crappy VEGAS GOLD!

Interestingly, the Flightless Birds were probably the first NHL team to have a 3rd jersey! I think from 83-88 or so, they had a yellow alternate that they lost in...er, played in on Sundays.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any idea when it will be unveiled?

Not sure about the unveiling, but it may take place in the beginning of the season. The current marketing theme, "X Force", utilizes a light blue "X" in the logo (as did the "Generation X" theme in 03-04), so you can see that the Penguins are trying to reintroduce blue in some capacity.

I like the blue and I think that it would be very distinctive because not many teams in the NHL use it. Atlanta has a powder blue alternate, but other than them there really is not a powder blue team out there. I always liked those powder blue jerseys from the late 60's and early 70's. I think that with the new era they are trying to bring in, this is the perfect time to bring the powder blue back. Sure they won the cup two times in the black and gold, but they also fell into dire financial problems and who knows what would have happened had Mario not bought the team. It is kind of like a new start, bringing back the blue goes back to the beginning with hopes that things will be different in the new cba and the pens will be able to compete again.

Sure they won the cup two times in the black and gold, but they also fell into dire financial problems and who knows what would have happened had Mario not bought the team.

Check the Pens record in blue. Also, they went bankrupt in blue too so they don't discriminate against when they'll go bankrupt. :D

KISSwall09.jpg

Check the Pens record in blue. Also, they went bankrupt in blue too so they don't discriminate against when they'll go bankrupt. :D

Yeah, but check their record in the uniforms they are currently wearing... not so good... I am just saying that time with the black and gold was not the utopian time that so many seem to think it was. I am not sure how I can "discriminate against when they'll go bankrupt."

If they want to have a distinctive look and a rebirth in the new NHL, I still believe that it would be a wonderful idea to bring back the powder blue. Regardless of whether or not they bring back the powder blue, the vegas gold has to go.

Not sure why the Flightless Birds would want a throwback to an era when they were the worst team on the ice. They need to bring back the Mario-era unis with YELLOW, not that crappy VEGAS GOLD!

Interestingly, the Flightless Birds were probably the first NHL team to have a 3rd jersey! I think from 83-88 or so, they had a yellow alternate that they lost in...er, played in on Sundays.

actually Blue Falcon, the Bruins were the first team to have a third jersey of sorts. First, a little history you can gleam from NHLUniforms.com:

1927-28 season: Maple Leafs' first full season as Leafs, they dump green in favor of blue. The Leafs recognized the need for a clash jersey for games against the Rangers (and probably the Blackhawks as well, as Chicago had switched to black that season), so a plain white jersey only featuring the maple leaf on front and number on back was introduced as well. as they say, you can't have the first third jersey without first having the first second jersey :D

1951-52 season: the Rangers are the last NHL team to adopt a white jersey, as the league introduced a rule that season declaring white to be the home jersey. while the rule keeps changing back and forth, the Rags still have white jerseys :hockeysmiley:

1955: the Bruins adopt new black jerseys and also begin wearing gold jerseys, while keeping their white jersey. It seems the gold jersey was the main home, so it'd be fair to say the new black jersey was the NHL's first third jersey, although it is dropped after the 1957 season.

1959-the Bruins re-introduce a black third sweater, which they would wear until 1965. Boston would replace their gold jerseys with black ones in 1967, never to wear gold again until 1996.

1981-the Penguins become the second team in NHL history to wear an alternate jersey when they don their gold Sunday jerseys. They would be retired after the 1984-85 season.

1996-the Age of Alternates begins. you know the rest of the story.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm gonna go ahead and say the Penguins will not sport a blue third jersey (isn't it too late by now to apply for a third jersey for the upcoming season?)

That's what I was thinking, but from what I understand, the blue jersey was submitted before the lockout. So I guess time will tell if the information that I'm getting has any merit to it.

Not to be overly picky (but you know that's how I am), but the Pens used what is referred to as "Powder Blue" only from the 1967-1968 season through the 1972-1973 season. Then, they went with a darker Blue (but a bit lighter than Royal Blue) which they OFFICIALLY referred to as "Medium Blue". I've got documented proof of that.

Here's what I've got:

1967-1968 through 1972-1973:

PittsburghPenguins_FRC_1968-1973_SO.jpg

1973-1974 through 1979-1980:

PittsburghPenguins_FRC_1974-1980_SO.jpg

Although this is sort of 4th hand information, if they release the jersey this year it will be identical to the 1968-69 to 1971-72 jersey (with the Minnesota Wild-like logo on thier alternates). Who knows how much truth there is to that, but we'll see.

I agree about Pittsburgh and the black and gold. It just seems to work well for all of its teams.

Some other cities should follow suit.

Every Toronto team should be double blue.

Every Washington, D.C., team should be red, white and blue.

I agree about Pittsburgh and the black and gold. It just seems to work well for all of its teams.

Some other cities should follow suit.

Every Toronto team should be double blue.

Every Washington, D.C., team should be red, white and blue.

Montreal has the color scheme going with red, white and blue. Miami has two out of three, although I can't see the Heat going with teal and orange

Miami has two out of three, although I can't see the Heat going with teal and orange

And I don't think the Panther's (yeah, I know, they don't play in the city limits of Miami, but for all intents and purposes...) will be changing either to teal and orange, so really, it's 2 of 4. But 2 of 2 that play in dolphins stsdium ^_^

b] There's no orange in the Marlins -- teal, black and white.

FLA_1020.gif

It's a shame that it counts as an official colo(u)r but if you look at the stiching of the baseball it is orange. Thus, it's technically a team color.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Archived