Penguins new 3rd jersey (rumored)

Rampart

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

confounding...I'd checked over the NL color pdf and gleamed past the Marlins...I never knew their teal was actually listed by them as blue :blink:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Hey Pantone, Out of couriosity, prior to the penguins going to Las Vegas Gold, did the Pirates, Steelers and Penguins use the same Black and Gold PMS colors?

Nope. All of the Golds were different.

Any idea when it will be unveiled?

Probably just as soon as they can stuff Sidney Crosby into one and round up a photographer! :D

C'mon people, let's get those cash registers humming! We've got a franchise to salvage here!

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Any idea when it will be unveiled?

Probably just as soon as they can stuff Sidney Crosby into one and round up a photographer! :D

C'mon people, let's get those cash registers humming! We've got a franchise to salvage here!

JeffB

they've got a whole league to salvage...

• 1 month later...

Penguins Q&A with Dave Molinari - Friday, September 09, 2005

Q: I was wondering whether or not you knew if the Penguins might be considering third jerseys this season. I figured with Sidney Crosby on their team, they'd be selling jerseys like crazy (much like the Ben Roethlisberger effect last year for the Steelers).

Ryan Anderson of Brockway, Pa.

MOLINARI: Had the Penguins been able to foresee that they'd get Crosby's rights in the draft lottery -- and that their goal of signing several high-impact free agents would be realized -- they might have been more interested in exploring the possibility of introducing a new sweater this season (although revenues from those are split equally by all 30 clubs).

As it is, however, adding a sweater requires approval from the league, and that process can take the better part of a year. Consequently, the Penguins would have had to act many months before the lockout ended, at a time when they had no way of knowing how dramatically things would break in their favor.

Finally, the Penguins have been very aggressive about introducing new jerseys, and team officials have been understandably concerned about over-saturating the market with them. Now, of course, it looks as if they could scribble "CROSBY 87" on the back of a tattered undershirt with a permanent marker and still get top dollar for it.

Penguins Q&A with Dave Molinari - Friday, April 15, 2005

Q: I have seen it reported that the Pens were considering a third jersey based on the old Commodore blue from the 1970s. With the undeniable boom in sports nostalgia, specifically for "retro" defunct jerseys in the context of the NHL, why was this plan presumably nixed?

Barry Davis of Felton, Pa.

MOLINARI: The Penguins had been considering introducing a third jersey based on one from the 1970s, although they never settled on which uniform style or shade of blue to pattern it after, but put those plans on hold for a variety of reasons. An abridged version of the list, in no particular order of significance:

1) The league was planning to market two vintage Penguins sweaters based on those worn in the early years of the franchise (and do the same for the other established franchises) and the Penguins were wary of doing anything that would conflict with the NHL initiative.

2) The Penguins have had a series of events and celebrations based on their history in recent years -- they named a Millennium team, marked the franchise's 35th anniversary, had Hall of Fame inductions and paid tribute to their predecessors, the AHL Pittsburgh Hornets -- and did not want to overdo the nostalgia angle.

3) The franchise has introduced a lot of sweater changes in a relatively short period of time

4) There wouldn't have been much financial upside to bringing out a new sweater -- or bringing back an older one -- because revenues from those are divided evenly between all 30 teams. The Penguins make no more money from the purchase of one of their own sweaters than they do when a fan buys a jersey from Nashville or Phoenix or Edmonton.

Retro sweaters remain on the franchise's long-rage radar, however. The early betting is that one will appear in conjunction with the franchise's 40th anniversary.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

if the penguins are to make any changes to thier uniforms what they ought to do is swap the placement of thier logos.

meaning: modern logo as the crest, skating penguin on the shoulders, if not removed completely.

Sorry, Shark - I gotta disagree with you on this one. The "modern" penguin is ugly.

I'm perfectly happy with the Pens using it as a secondary logo - though I won't shed a tear when it disappears completely.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Agreed.  The skating penguin is perfect.

you only say that because I think the opposite. not because you really believe it

No, he's stating fact. The newfangled Penguin is ugly as hell.

I've been playing NHL 06 constantly lately. I love putting the penguins in blue, They look good. Its only got the diagonal Pittsburgh blue jersey but there is a home and away for it at least. I wish they would bring that back as an alt only but i blue helmets and pants need to go with it, not alter it to blue and black. The game is pretty sweet but it doesn't have all the ones from the past. Its got throwbacks and jerseys from prominate periods of the teams but lacks all of them.

I'm a big fan of their jerseys but i really think the athletic gold needs to come back. The vegas gold paired with black is a little bland. I'm also a big advocate of the penguin skating logo. I generally like it better than the 1990s penguin and was glad it made a comeback. However look at this picture and tell me that this isn't one of the best jerseys ever. I forgot how great these were/are. I really would like to see these again. These were from back when the whites were worn at home. The away jersey during these years isn't so great though. All in all they should at least get away from the Tan/Gold color.

lemieux3.jpeg

Agreed.  The skating penguin is perfect.

you only say that because I think the opposite. not because you really believe it

No, he's stating fact. The newfangled Penguin is ugly as hell.

I concur.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

There wouldn't have been much financial upside to bringing out a new sweater -- or bringing back an older one -- because revenues from those are divided evenly between all 30 teams. The Penguins make no more money from the purchase of one of their own sweaters than they do when a fan buys a jersey from Nashville or Phoenix or Edmonton.

Lame. Where's the incentive to design a nice sweater? Atlanta can trot out maroon/navy/maize crap if they're siphoning the profits of nice-looking well-selling Wings, Leafs, Habs sweaters.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There wouldn't have been much financial upside to bringing out a new sweater -- or bringing back an older one -- because revenues from those are divided evenly between all 30 teams. The Penguins make no more money from the purchase of one of their own sweaters than they do when a fan buys a jersey from Nashville or Phoenix or Edmonton.

Lame. Where's the incentive to design a nice sweater? Atlanta can trot out maroon/navy/maize crap if they're siphoning the profits of nice-looking well-selling Wings, Leafs, Habs sweaters.

What do you mean no incentive? If yours suck you bring everyone down. That's incentive. Every sports league shares licensing revenue, this is nothing out of the ordinary.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived