Houston Astros Concept

Audiodrama

Great job!! I love the color combinations and the blue alts look very sharp..and the H in the star looks really nice..did you try a white alt with the main H logo on the left chest and maybe a number on the right side with some blue piping? I think something like that would look real nice..but overall great job!

You know, I've thought of doing something like this before, but I didn't think it would look very good at all. But after looking at your concept, I must say that this really works...the old colors with the current font go very well together. And you're right, that hat logo looks great. I would love it if the Astros went with this idea. Great work unwind :notworthy:

AM.gif

sorry unwind. this is one of the few concepts of yours that i don't like. the current astros scheme has two strikes against it: the logo/wordmark set seems to go in the traditional direction while the name demands a futuristic logo/wordmark set. the second strike has the same reasoning, only implied to the team's current colour set. your concept fixes the colour problem, but not the logo/wordmark problem.

sorry unwind. this is one of the few concepts of yours that i don't like. the current astros scheme has two strikes against it: the logo/wordmark set seems to go in the traditional direction while the name demands a futuristic logo/wordmark set. the second strike has the same reasoning, only implied to the team's current colour set. your concept fixes the colour problem, but not the logo/wordmark problem.

Sorry from me too. I'm with the 'Cap. I just don't see the old-fashioned script wordmarks working for a team that has broken so much ground in its half-century of existence (domes, artificial turf, radical colors, rainbow bellies, orange caps, giant cartoon scoreboards...). I prefer the colors you used, but I'd like something more befitting the progressive, futuristic feel of the team and its nickname, celebrating the Space Age.

Also, the script "H" doesn't work for me on the cap. By itself, it looks like a lowercase "fl" than an "H" to me. It's an unusual cursive "H" and it is easily understood in front of the word "Houston", but it isn't as effective by itself.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I love these, but at the same time, I love what they currently have. And, people talk about tie-ins to the nickname, but to be honest, several teams don't really feature significant tie-ins. The Dodgers, Padres (sans alternate jersey sleeve logo), Giants, and Yankees really don't have tie-ins. At least the Astros have the Star as a hat logo.

VmWIn6B.png

You know, the whole argument that the Astros are too old-fashioned looking for their name is one I just don't get. Have the Astros ever looked futuristic? No. Bright, yes. Loud, yes. Ugly? Oh verily, yes, and yes again. But futuristic? Come on! A block H on a star was never futuristic. Not even the rainbow-bellied uniforms were "futuristic," since we now live in the future and nobody would even think of wearing such a uniform to a baseball game today. (Except on "turn back the clock day," which just proves my point.)

Furthermore, the whole concept of the name isn't futuristic anymore. "Houston Astros" refers to the past, not the future. I'm nearing middle age, and the Space Age ended before I was born. Humans haven't done anything interesting in space since around 1973. That was 32 years ago, for crying out loud! Houston is still home to NASA's mission control, but the only missions they control involve flying a souped-up 737 with heat-resistant duct tape and a couple of Commodore 64 computers roughly the distance of Houston to Dallas, straight up. For 25 years now all Houston has done is send people to low-earth orbit. We did that in 1962. Calling a name that brings to mind the technical achievements of the early 1960s "futuristic" is like calling color TV "cutting edge."

Plus, NASA ditched its "futuristic" worm logo years ago and went back to its 1950s red-swoosh "meatball" patch. Not even NASA thinks that space is futuristic anymore! The future just ain't what it used to be.

And anyway, it's not like there used to be a lot of teams wearing brick and gold (or sand or whatever they call it in Houston). Nor is their thin-line script actually traditional either. So in terms of color choice and lettering, you can make a much better argument that the current uniform set is "futuristic" than the old block-H look. The Astros current uniforms are much more forward-looking, anyway, to their blue-and-orange days or their rainbow era.

20082614447.png

You know, the whole argument that the Astros are too old-fashioned looking for their name is one I just don't get. Have the Astros ever looked futuristic? No. Bright, yes. Loud, yes. Ugly? Oh verily, yes, and yes again. But futuristic? Come on! A block H on a star was never futuristic. Not even the rainbow-bellied uniforms were "futuristic," since we now live in the future and nobody would even think of wearing such a uniform to a baseball game today. (Except on "turn back the clock day," which just proves my point.)

Furthermore, the whole concept of the name isn't futuristic anymore. "Houston Astros" refers to the past, not the future. I'm nearing middle age, and the Space Age ended before I was born. Humans haven't done anything interesting in space since around 1973. That was 32 years ago, for crying out loud! Houston is still home to NASA's mission control, but the only missions they control involve flying a souped-up 737 with heat-resistant duct tape and a couple of Commodore 64 computers roughly the distance of Houston to Dallas, straight up. For 25 years now all Houston has done is send people to low-earth orbit. We did that in 1962. Calling a name that brings to mind the technical achievements of the early 1960s "futuristic" is like calling color TV "cutting edge."

Plus, NASA ditched its "futuristic" worm logo years ago and went back to its 1950s red-swoosh "meatball" patch. Not even NASA thinks that space is futuristic anymore! The future just ain't what it used to be.

And anyway, it's not like there used to be a lot of teams wearing brick and gold (or sand or whatever they call it in Houston). Nor is their thin-line script actually traditional either. So in terms of color choice and lettering, you can make a much better argument that the current uniform set is "futuristic" than the old block-H look. The Astros current uniforms are much more forward-looking, anyway, to their blue-and-orange days or their rainbow era.

...so....did you like the concept or not? :therock:

Archived