Minors turn to wild and wacky for their own identi

otherwilds

The author forgot the Batavia MuckDogs, who are named after the black organic soil that makes up a large part of the area near that city. Muck land produces great crops such as onions and potatoes.

The MuckDogs merchandise consistantly ranks near the top of all Minor League gear sold. B)

The author forgot the Batavia MuckDogs, who are named after the black organic soil that makes up a large part of the area near that city. Muck land produces great crops such as onions and potatoes.

The MuckDogs merchandise consistantly ranks near the top of all Minor League gear sold.  B)

I was just at a Muckdogs game last night (which they won 10-9 on a walk off rbi single). I have a few hats of theirs myself because I think they have one of the best logos in all of professional sports.

Muckdogs.jpg

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

Great article - it makes it just that much more depressing to be in a town like Des Moines, Iowa, where our wonderfully inventive owners of the AAA team named them - are you ready - the Iowa Cubs.

And, another shocker, their logo is the exact same as the Cubs, only with Iowa written above it in script.

Lot of imagination there.

Tater, I feel for you, man. If the Iowa Cubs name isn't bad enough, the owners of your new AHL hockey team christen their club the Iowa Stars. And then they use basically the parent Dallas Stars logo with "Iowa" in the upper left, ala the I-Cubs!

What is it with you mid-westerners, do you like to stay close to mommy and daddy? Not that it's a bad thing. :blink:

then you look at the Braves farm system...there's only one (Myrtle Beach Pelicans) that DOESN'T call itself the Braves :P ...shoot, at least the I-Cubs uniforms are somewhat different from the Cubs' set. the minor league Braves all wear the same uniforms, only differences are their hats <_<

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

That's the other thing about the I-Cubs - their uniforms are almost identical to the big Cubs, pinstripes at home, blue on the road, replace Chicago with Iowa.

At least the Stars went out and designed a sweater that, IMO, is nicer than the big clubs'.

I don't know why minor league owners wouldn't want a name and logo that could generate more interest (and therefore more money) among their fans.

I get your point, but the low minors in baseball usually get hand-me-down uniforms from the parent team. It's usually just for economics that they name themselves after Poppa.

But Triple-A baseball and AHL hockey teams ought to have enough sense as to not use their parent teams' name. This season only four AHL teams use the parent's nickname (Iowa, Providence, Scranton-Wilkes Barre, Binghamton).

In the International League there are two (Pawtucket and Richmond). Indianapolis doesn't count because they've been the Indians since Sitting Bull was known as Crawling Calf. The PCL has Iowa and Omaha.

Although a total of eight top-level minor league teams using major league nicknames isn't bad, it's still eight too many. You can wear a version of the parent's uniform, but let the association end there. :blink:

Archived