Anybody going to enter the Dolphins contest

fresco

where did you hear this at?

PANTONE was talking about it in another forum. I'll go back and get the links. It was in the Miami newspaper, but I can't recall the name of that paper.

The Miami Herald maybe?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Miami Dolphins have opened up a competition for anybody that wants to create a new meaner mascot logo.
No, actually the Miami New Times is conducting a Dolphins' logo design contest as part of a piece they're doing in which South Florida-based graphic-design firms, advertising agencies and artists will come up with new designs for the team.
Wayne H. will make the final decision.
Actually, there's no indication that Mr. Huizenga even knows what management of the Miami News Times is up to. As the announcement on their website states:

"As a public service, New Times is stepping forward to put it in Wayne Huizenga's face: Your team must redo the dolphin -- and if you won't do it, we will."

Miami News Times' management goes on to say:

"Because we're doing Huizenga such a big favor, it's only right that he should provide a big incentive. So we're asking him directly -- via certified mail -- to kick in a pair of season tickets to the top three designs."

In other words, this is just a story idea the folks at the New Times dreamt up to put in their September issue, which just happens to coincide with the start of the NFL season. The Dolphins really have no intention of changing their look. Nor is Mr. Huizenga currently scheduled to make a "final decision" about anything. Maybe - MAYBE - the New Times will get Huizenga to provide some comments on the designs and convince Dolphins' management to provide some tickets to the winner of the contest.

As for their logo... I'm certain that Dolphins' management is more than happy with the one they have now.

No, actually the Miami New Times is conducting a Dolphins' logo design contest as part of a piece they're doing in which South Florida-based graphic-design firms, advertising agencies and artists will come up with new designs for the team.

Dump This Dolphin!

Published: Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Miami Dolphins logo has remained more or less unchanged for the past 40 years -- an adorable, smiling sea mammal arching over unseen waves while sporting a bulbous football helmet atop its head. As battle flags go, it doesn't exactly strike fear in the heart. In fact it is downright silly, and has been for decades. It is the most idiotic insignia in the entire National Football League.

Worse, while the cute little dolphin has been frozen in time, Miami has not. Few places have changed so dramatically. Since the Dolphins debuted in 1966, Miami has lurched from sleepy Southern town to roiling ethnic cauldron to hedonistic hot spot to luxury-condo capital of the world. Along the way we've gained fame for our sun, sand, and sin; our riots and carjackings; our reputation as Latin America's capital and Cuba's northernmost city.

We are long overdue for a new symbol on the helmets of our gridiron warriors, one that reflects our sophistication, complexity, and grit.

It's bad enough that our team sashays onto the field wearing orange and aqua uniforms against opponents clad in bold, aggressive colors -- the Raiders' menacing black, the yellow and black of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the blue and red of the Buffalo Bills. It's like sending your kid to his first day of junior high school in knickers.

We may not be able to do a thing about Ricky Williams's weirdness, but we sure as hell can control what we look like. Last season's miserable 4-12 record is evidence enough that something drastic must be done.

Other teams have already wised up. Look at the New England Patriots. Their original logo was a goofy-looking colonial soldier squatting in a rumpled uniform. Talk about embarrassing. In 1993 they redesigned and -- BAM! -- instantly became a Super Bowl powerhouse. Same thing with the Broncos. The most Miami ever did was tweak the image in 1997. Did you even notice?

So enough is enough. As a public service, New Times is stepping forward to put it in Wayne Huizenga's face: Your team must redo the dolphin -- and if you won't do it, we will.

To that end we've invited some of South Florida's top graphic-design firms, advertising agencies, and artists to come up with new designs for the Dolphins. But we think all Dolfans should have a say in this, so we're soliciting everyone to reimagine the team's logo. We'll print the most interesting entries in our issue of September 8, just days before Miami hosts Denver in the season opener. Yours might even make the cover.

Because we're doing Huizenga such a big favor, it's only right that he should provide a big incentive. So we're asking him directly -- via certified mail -- to kick in a pair of season tickets to the top three designs.

There are no rules. The only boundary is your imagination. Send your submissions to:

Dolphins Redesign

New Times

2800 Biscayne Blvd., #100

Miami, FL 33137

Deadline for receipt of entries is Wednesday, August 31, 2005.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

What a great way for an up and coming designer to make a name for himself and have his work on an NFL helmet.

The logos that will be on display in the September issue of the Miami New Times aren't going to end up on any NFL helmet. This isn't a new logo search being conducted by the Dolphins. It's a publicity stunt tied to a magazine/newspaper piece. It's being conducted by the Miami New Times, not the Miami Dolphins.

Read and comprehend the article that Survival79 just posted. It explains everything.

The fact that Wayne Huizenga is involved gives this legitamacy and if he likes it you are in. Wayne doesn't care if you are some kind of big name graphic house or clip art junky. Do the job and if he likes it you are in.

The little guy never gets a chance like this and I hope somebody from here makes a name for themselves by winning this thing.

The fact that Wayne Huizenga is involved gives this legitamacy and if he likes it you are in. Wayne doesn't care if you are some kind of big name graphic house or clip art junky. Do the job and if he likes it you are in.

The little guy never gets a chance like this and I hope somebody from here makes a name for themselves by winning this thing.

Huizenga is NOT involved with this. The New Times are going to ask him to put up season tickets.

For the 1000th time - the NFL CANNOT even LOOK at unsolicited designs. This contest is a complete waste of time.

you really don't get it do you?

they have only asked him to give season tickets, he isn't involved whatsoever at this point. and besides there is a fat chance that anyone outside of nfl properties or one of the big graphic deisgn firms will have a chance to do an nfl logo. but i guess there is always that slim chance.

If a person wanted exposure for design work, entering a logo would be the thing to do. However, most people realize that the NFL will never take an unsolicited design. Besides, the current logo was just upgraded a few years back.

With that said, the red and orange in the 'dump this dolphin' logo kinda reminds me of Nitroseed's Amberjacks logo.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

That's exactly what I'm saying. Get your logo in and a big design firm will notice you and you're in. They sign you on, then the NFL can use your logo. It's really that simple. It's the American dream in living color.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Get your logo in and a big design firm will notice you and you're in. They sign you on, then the NFL can use your logo. It's really that simple. It's the American dream in living color.

I find it hard to believe that after three people completely countered your statements, you still believe that this is some legitimate contest.

....I think he's just busting your chops, guys. At least, I hope he is.

Archived