Why the Nats should drop the "W"

Chief.

I've never really liked the "W" logo, and this made me laugh. I bought something from Walgreens the other day and noticed, for the first time, the "W" on the bag. I immediatley thought "Nationals" because the "W" on the bag was large and by itself. I'm not sure if anybody noticed or cares but just take a look.

Untitled-1.png

That's absolutely hilarious! As an aside, I've actually heard rumblings about Democratic congressmen (and women?) griping about having to wear a red cap with a big "W" as if the caps are somehow GWBush hats in disguise. There is so much unintentional comedy here.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

That's absolutely hilarious! As an aside, I've actually heard rumblings about Democratic congressmen (and women?) griping about having to wear a red cap with a big "W" as if the caps are somehow GWBush hats in disguise. There is so much unintentional comedy here.

Then all us yellow dog dems in the blue states will just have to wear the navy road hat, HA! :flagusa:

RobbyBox2.jpg

In a somewhat related semi font match...I've always thought the Royals script kind of looked like the Lysol font.

Take a look...

royalslysol.png

They're somewhat alike, but completely different :P

Then all us yellow dog dems in the blue states will just have to wear the navy road hat, HA!

Wow, you got us rednecks good. Of course, the road caps still have a giant "W" on 'em...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

:sleeping: I've heard, read and IIRC posted about the red v. blue, W v. DC cap political connotations already. Leave it to political wonks (not a shot at you, Ball-Wonk) to make something out of nothing. The "pretzel W" is clearly an homage to the expansion Senators in an attempt to tie the District's baseball past to its future.

The Nats are also paying homage to the original AL Nats/Senators by failing to hit for power at home and, perhaps, by having a large number of Latin American players on the roster. (That'd be a good jumping off point for discussing Joe Cambria's scouting work and the evolution of Latin American players' role in MLB but it's probably outside the scope of this board.)

Often during the many years between 1971 and now people asked me whether my original '69-71 Senators cap was a Walgreen's promotional item, for their company softball team or some such. After a while the only worthwhile response was a :rolleyes: .

I thought the answer here would be that the "W" should disappear because the Nats have stopped adding to the "W" column.

tzch6.jpg

I thought the answer here would be that the "W" should disappear because the Nats have stopped adding to the "W" column.

We should have expected nothing less, after all, they're the EXPOS for crying out loud :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the "W" that they currently use was only used by the second Washington AL team that ended up the Texas Rangers.

The "W" used by the much more historic team (taht became the Twins) was never this one, but more of a very basic "W"

So the "history" this "W" brings back is not all that great.

(I really, really, like the blue cap though, so it's OK with me)/

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the "W" that they currently use was only used by the second Washington AL team that ended up the Texas Rangers.

The "W" used by the much more historic team (taht became the Twins) was never this one, but more of a very basic "W"

So the "history" this "W" brings back is not all that great.

(I really, really, like the blue cap though, so it's OK with me)/

You're correct, it was used from 1963-71.

FWIW I bought one of the new blue road caps this spring, but haven't bought one of the red home caps because (1) I don't live in the DC metro area anymore, hence less likely to see them at home and (2) I still have that ratty old Senators cap.

tzch6.jpg

That's nothing new to have it look like something else. The W looking like Walgreens is total coincidence...this however is not. The Brewers made their M look close to the M in Miller Brewing Company.

MIL_1163.gif

MIL_1178.gif

Notice I said close...not exact. Either way you can tell they want you to feel the harmony between Miller and the Brewers.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived