Best NHL Alternate Jersey

kingssss

Which Team Wears Your Favorite Alt Jersey?  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pennsyl-tucky

Not clever.

I live in SE Pa, went to college in Western PA, spent years in Pgh, and still travel out there very often. Western PA (actually most of the state outside of the Deleware Valley) is nothing like Eastern PA. I'm not "dissing" western PA, but the way of life is extremely different. Culturally, it isn't really the same state, and financially, it isn't even close.

I always thought Pennsyltucky also referred to "northern PA", that borders New York. Lots of confederate flags, lots of "Deliverance" being picked on a banjo. I have no problem with western PA, but when you clear the Turnpike tunnels, you are definitely in a different state than [south]eastern PA. And Pittsburgh always had more of a Ohio/Great Lakes feel to it anyway. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you.

If New York wants North Jersey, they can have 'em. We'll cut it in half right about I-195/Monmouth County. We keep Princeton, AC and the southern Shore towns.

And from this native New Jerseyite, I'd love to say otherwise, but Liberty Island is NOT part of New Jersey. It pisses us off, but it's true. New Jersey owns the riparian rights to the submerged lands around the island, but the dry lands are New York's. This was set up in 1664 ["New Jersey is bounded by the Hudson River"], and further clarified in an 1834 agreement that set the official boundary as the midway point in the river between the states... BUT New York got all the islands in the harbor - Ellis Island, Liberty Island, Staten Island.

On the other hand, Jersey provides all utilities to the Statue. So when NYC has another one of its blackouts, the Statue stays lit... BY JERSEY POWER! B)

Oh yeah. Best alternate... I vote "NULL". I don't like any of them more than either of the primaries worn by the teams.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no pun intended, right?

New Orleans Saints

New Orleans Hornets

New Orleans Zephyrs

Mobile Bay Bears

Montgomery Biscuits

Mississippi Braves

Birmingham Barons

Mississippi Sea Wolves

University of New Orleans

Tulane University

The above organizations were hit extremely hard by Hurricane Katrina. Sports can wait.

If you're a fan, or just want to help, please donate to the Red Cross.

These aren't from the NHL, but they're pretty nasty:

OttenAuctionjerseys-vi.jpg

DSCF1243.jpg

I also remember one year when the Kalamazoo Wings wore pink jerseys for Valentine's Day. Too bad I couldn't find a picture.

That's a whole lotta yikes there. Even tops Trenton's St. Pattys jerseys.

spd1sb.jpg

Still don't know why they decided to have plain green socks to go with that business. :blink:

njd.gifnym.gifpats3gr8.jpg

i kinda like that dallas one its different

but my vote went to the Jackets i think thats a nice logo

i would love to see the 'Canes come out with a black jersey with the alt logo(hockey stick with a hurricane warning flag on it) or something different

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just bringin this thread back for fun because I just remembered it and I want to see if anyone else who hasn't responded or voted has any more thoughts. And remeber they're all on the first post if you wanna see them.

teamsnew2.png

These aren't from the NHL, but they're pretty nasty:

OttenAuctionjerseys-vi.jpg

DSCF1243.jpg

I also remember one year when the Kalamazoo Wings wore pink jerseys for Valentine's Day. Too bad I couldn't find a picture.

AHHHHH!!! My eyes!!!!!!!! :shocked:

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

Thrashers' light blue third jersey is my favorite. Unlike some people, I like the asymmetrical sleeve. I only wish they'd put the player's number on the left sleeve.

I also like the classy Columbus third jerseys and the Oilers' 'cog' logo designed by Todd McFarlane's company.

Why don't New York and New Jersey just get it over with and become one state? You guys are like best friends over there.

You mean "best friends" like in drinking beers in the alley, or "best friends" like in California?

This is a carburetor. Take it apart, put it back together, repeat until you're normal. - Hank Hill

Aside from the Isles which I votted for haha, Sens and Hawks there all rather lame. I love orange and they kept thier origonal logo which was a good idea, seeing as thier previous logo did'nt work out so well (fisherman) but if your not a fan of the color i can see why you might not like it. The Flyers and Bruins are just horrible. the flyers totally destroyed the logo with the bevel and emboss tool, and chrome? it looks like it was done by some kid trying all the tools in photoshop, and the bear on the Bruins uniform looks like the teddy that sits on top of my girlfriends dresser. I almost forgot the Sabres, all i have to say about that is WOW!

For me, many of the best alternate jerseys are no longer the alternates. They were so well recieved that they have been made a primary jersey.

When Dallas came out with their current green & black jersey, their home & road set was rather basic and ordinary. The first time I saw that alt I was blown away. I knew right then I was going to buy one, and that was when I still hated the Stars because I'm from Minneapolis and was mad that the North Stars had moved. Then they made it the primary, unfortunately paving the way for the terrible current third.

Again, when Ottawa, who also had a pair of very basic looking jerseys came out with the dynamic red jersey with the black 'swoosh', it was very innovative. A modern take on the Canadiens traditonal red sweater I thought. Again, I added that one to my collection very quickly. And again, quickly they made it a primary.

The Kings made their alt a primary as well. While not one of my all-time favorite primaries, the more graphic "crown" logo is a better choice than the "coat of arms" with all it's small details.

The Flyers black alt was a nice compliment to their white and tradtional orange set, in the same vein as the Blackhawks alt, but they too dropped their tradtional orange jersey when making the alt a primary. Again paving the way for the unfortunate current 3-d orange alt with the worst sleeves in the league.

Pittsburgh also went the route of making the alt the primary, at the cost of having an alt.

The same goes for Washington, whose striking black alt was great as an occasional treat as an alt. But they chose to drop the nice blue primary they had in favor of the "Odd set" look, where the home and road jerseys are not color reversals of the same design, but completely separate style jerseys that lack unity. Atlanta and Ottawa also find themselves in this situation, only with the addition of a thrid jersey which further adds to their uncohesive package.

(Atlanta's "dark" jersey really was an alt. The NHL said they couldn't have an alt until they had been in the leauge a number of years, so they simply skipped having a road jersey and went with a home and an alt from day one.)

So, what's my favorite alternate? Well, they're not alts anymore! Dallas' green & black star, Ottawa's red with black swoosh were my favorites, but I guess they "grew up too fast" and aren't alts anymore.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Aside from the Isles which I votted for haha, Sens and Hawks there all rather lame. I love orange and they kept thier origonal logo which was a good idea, seeing as thier previous logo did'nt work out so well (fisherman) but if your not a fan of the color i can see why you might not like it. The Flyers and Bruins are just horrible. the flyers totally destroyed the logo with the bevel and emboss tool, and chrome? it looks like it was done by some kid trying all the tools in photoshop, and the bear on the Bruins uniform looks like the teddy that sits on top of my girlfriends dresser. I almost forgot the Sabres, all i have to say about that is WOW!

i like the colour orange, and i hate the islanders alt. it's not the colour, it's the striping pattern. that, and the logo, which imo is among the worst in sports.

the sens alt is one of the best, and should replace the red swoosh as the primary home uni, and they need to come out with a white version for the road sweaters.

the blakckhawks alts are so good they need to replace the reds as the primary home sweaters.

i agree with you when it comes to the flyers and bruins. the flyers need to go back to organge as a primary colour, but this isn't the way to do it. as for the bruins, the striping pattern is ok, and the colours are fine, but logos...wow.

the top five alts in the leauge:

toronto

chicago

minnesota

ottawa

atlanta

the sens alt is one of the best, and should replace the red swoosh as the primary home uni, and they need to come out with a white version for the road sweaters.

At least if they do that, you would have matching home and away jerseys.

But if it's a good alt, why shouldn't it stay an alternate though?

It seems like only Boston, Chicago, New York Rangers and Toronto have ever just let the alternate be the alternate for any sustained period.

Funny, it seems like anytime a team does things right with their jerseys on a consistant basis, it's almost always an Original Six team...

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived