First look at form-fitting hockey jerseys, soon...

ColeJ

1st of all, at a recent dallas stars season ticket holders meeting (that i didn't go to, because i can't afford season tickets), the stars had some talks to the fans about the uniforms.

first of all, the president of the dallas stars, jim lites, said that the dallas stars jerseys would look exactly the same this season as they have in years past. but the 2006-2007 season would see the NHL going to new reebok-designed form fitting hockey jerseys.

he said that the new form fitting jerseys will look like nothing we've ever seen in hockey before, and that oddly enough, they would have build in elbow pads..... which seems odd to me, since elbow pads cover so much area. not sure how that's going to work out... and if authentic jerseys would then have built in padding... just weird.

someone supposedly asked if the new "sleeker" stars jerseys would have any red or bulls on them, and jim lites laughed and said that they would not. in fact, the stars are contractually obligated to wear their alternates a few times this year... but after that, they'll never wear them again. the new sleek stars jerseys will supposedly be in team colors.

not sure if they'll keep the same design or logo though... i'm scared the NHL is going to get a CFL style redesign...

but anyway, on to the first look at form fitting hockey.

someone on my doubleminor.net forums posted a thread stating that team canada would be unveiling new form fitting nike sweaters at some point in the next week (maybe as early as today).

he's a very reliable source, who has posted on my forums for years. i trust him. i'll quote a few of his comments, so my interpretations of them don't cloud what he actually said:

Team Canada will be revealing them either today or next week

Nike has developed (similar to the RBK ones being rumoured) a new style of uniform that is very tight fitting, but highly breathable.

Should be interesting. The Juniors are going to be wearing them this year for the World Championships

the jerseys apparently were EXTREMELY tight according to a junior player, so I'm guessing it will be football like. He also mentioned that to get them on, you had to have a buddy help you out (like when we were kids haha)...but once they were on, you couldn't notice them at all.

The evolution of jerseys I guess. The only thing is, it might look gay for a fan to wear one of these.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my hockey jersey suppliers says he has sample one and is working on making a replica for his blanks. I am very interest in seeing what direction the rec & city leagues and such go once the NHL has these jerseys.

Good, now I don't have to keep this a secret anymore :D:D

i know you can't show us anything, or let us know anything secret...

but since you know, what's your honest opinion?

are they better than i'm dreading? and is the elbow pad thing for real?

Good, now I don't have to keep this a secret anymore   :D  :D

i know you can't show us anything, or let us know anything secret...

but since you know, what's your honest opinion?

are they better than i'm dreading? and is the elbow pad thing for real?

I think that he's talking about another secret..... which is why he can't show you anything .... ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Built in elbow pads?

As a hockey player I have to say that sounds like one of the stupidest hockey jersey ideas that I've ever heard.

Every player has their own preferences for elbow pads and to make them the same for everyone is a recipe for disaster.

Built in elbow pads?

As a hockey player I have to say that sounds like one of the stupidest hockey jersey ideas that I've ever heard.

Every player has their own preferences for elbow pads and to make them the same for everyone is a recipe for disaster.

It probably means that they have built-in slots for elbow pads, kind of like how football pants have slots for thigh / knee pads, but you can still pick which type you want. You can probably still wear regular elbow pads and just not use the built in slots.

I'm actually looking forward to this, but I hope that the actual designs of the uni's doesn't change drastically (I realize that the new templates will necessitate some changes.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In the past I've been accused of being far too traditional where hockey is concerned, but I'm actually willing to give this one a look to see what its like. Until the late '50's most players wore sweaters that were (kind of) form fitting. Like someone else said, as long as they dont change things too drastically, especially with teams like Montreal, Detroit, and the Rangers, who've had the same unfom for over 50 years.

Truthfully though, I never heard anyone complaining about skaters uniforms being too big, and I do wonder why they'd even consider doing this. In the process of making the Goalkeepers equipment and sweaters smaller, they may be applying a tourniquet to a situation that a band-aid would be perfectly suitable for.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

I just don't know about this.

I've seen what some people did to Aussie Rules jumpers in the name of "modernisation" and "improvement".

Now the popular opinion is to make everyone who didn't do something unusual part of the freak show the rest of them have become.

Tradtional jumper:

Hawthorn-1991.gif

Improved modernised (one off)

Hawthorn-Preseason-diamond.gif

Traditional jumper:

West-Coast-2.gif

Improved modesnised:

West-Coast-7.gif

I take it these new jumpers are made of a material that can be printed on, thus opening up the door to any design on the sweaters.

I'll expect the worst, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I thought the new tight-fitting jerseys were common knowledge.

I thought it was discussed months ago they'd have sublimated textures, like a spiderman outfit, and all that jazz.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I thought the new tight-fitting jerseys were common knowledge.

I thought it was discussed months ago they'd have sublimated textures, like a spiderman outfit, and all that jazz.

Back then it was a possibility/rumour, now it's confirmed

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Archived