Does the arena football league need "soul"?

Brian in Boston

I was tooling around on the USPTO website today and came across a name that Jon Bon Jovi (Bongiovi) has registered. It is registered to be used in conjunction with promoting a football team. Might it be the Arena Football League expansion team that Bon Jovi is trying to bring to Philadelphia?

In any event, the team name that was registered is...

the Philadelphia Soul.

Meh.

Brian in Boston

The Miami Sol(WNBA) moved to Connecticut or somewhere in New England and they still are named Sol.  Sol and Soul are bad names in my opinion.  Personally, I like plural names of tangible things like Tigers, Pioneers, Sabres. I'll even let Pride slide as long as it uses a Lion logo. A group of Lions is called a Pride.  Now only if they could apply the same idea and call a team Murder(a group of crows is a murder). I don't care for names that are ideas like Soul or Magic, or Spirit.  

On a plural note.  Why are the teams the Chi whitesox and the Boston redsox.  Why SOX??  When did they turn from stockings to sox?  Why aren't they the Socks?

recap that noone gives a damn about:

miami sol folded.

orlando miracle moved to connecticut, become connecticut sun.

confused yet?

and a fancy looking 'socks' or 'red socks' would look stupid on the respective uniform.  besides, back then the press liked to spell night 'nite'...in short, same reason houston's the astros and not astronauts...and the mets are the mets and not the metropolitans, it woulda been shortened anyway.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think that if they changed it from soul to sol it would be a better name, but sol wouldn't describe philly (Sol means sun, i think) but then again niether does Soul

Are you not familiar with the Philly Soul sound of the 70's?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg....l=C2635

So the name DOES make some sense, although I, too, am not a fan of the singular team names.

--Eriq.

As a name by and of itself it sucks, but the "Philly Soul" thing could be quite marketable.  If you really wanted to get cute, you could slow down the pronunciation and make it sound like "Filet of Soul."

But if the plan is to market the team as the "Philadelphia Soul" exclusively, its a piss-poor choice.

nav-logo.png

Archived