A movement...

ZBoyer

Okay, I know I really don't have enough status on this board to start a topic, but after seeing the flood of Milwaukee and Kansas City concepts, I have to say that I think we need to cut down.

Some are interesting, and I'm not saying not to post them, because, after all, I'm just a newbie. But there have been SO MANY as of late, and they've all been mostly the same (minus the four or five extra alternates that these teams are getting for no reason) that it's just becoming redundant to see them.

Now, granted, VitaminD had a pretty neat black-and-gold Brewers idea a couple weeks ago, and there have been other strong concepts, but unless they're unique, I don't want to see them, and I get the feeling from reading posts that other members agree.

We all know that the Brewers and Royals have ugly uniforms and could use some renovations, but let it rest already. We know what the road unis look like, and no, we don't want to see gold alternates with the ball-in-glove on the cap and the barrel man on the shoulder.

Actually the Brewers don't have awful uniforms. They are great. Plays up the Brewers well. So it looks like a beer logo. What is their nickname and why are they named that?

Anyways, yeah copycat concepts are dumb. You will look better if you post an original one.

Thanks ZB. And although I believe my Brewers' concept stands out from the crowd a bit, I have to say that I was at least partially inspired by other people putting their Brewers' work. While I tried to go in an entirely different direction, the seed for the idea came from other people taking a stab at modifying or bettering the Brew Crew's look.

This is not uncommon on these boards. Member A makes a concept. Member B sees A's concept, thinks to B's self, "If only they added piping and changed the color of the cap bill, it'd kick ass!" Member B then has 2 choices: hijack A's thread with his own tweaked version of A's concept, or start a new thread with a "concept" fundamentally identical to A's concept with a little change here and there.

I've noticed that these things are cyclical, and sometimes it takes one person putting up a concept for everyone else to realize they have a take on a change too.

I don't know how we can legislate this through the boards. On one hand, yeah, there's only so much you can do with the Cincinnati Reds' look or the Royals adding gold (good idea, by the way!): outline here, drop shadow there. But on the other hand, part of the great thing about these boards is getting (usually) quality C&C and honest evaluations of your efforts.

So, a twofold suggestion.

1. TO THE READER/LURKER: Read selectively. Since I joined, I have stopped reading every thread that hits the boards. I just don't have time, and there's only so many concepts I can see, evaluate objectively and comment on. A little discretion saves a lot of time.

2. TO THE POSTER: Discretion is the key here, too. If your concept is the existing design, or is 90% identical to a design that's been posted, just comment on it - "I like it, but if you made the stirrups green and dumped the 3rd alternate logo, that'd be sweet!". Don't start a new thread and expect the members to regurgitate essentially the same comments they made 5 minutes earlier. Also, 5-10 minutes in Search mode could turn up your "concept" if it's been done. You can always revive a dormant thread unless it's been graveyarded, and comment from there.

"COMMON SENSE CAN, AND WILL PREVAIL." -VitaminD

B)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Well, I guess I won't be posting my KC Royals concept with the drop shadow gone and gold trim on the sleeves, or my Brewers concept with Milwaukee on the road and blue piping, or my Toronto Blue Jays concept where I do the 1992 set in graphite and black, tonight.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Actually the Brewers don't have awful uniforms. They are great. Plays up the Brewers well. So it looks like a beer logo. What is their nickname and why are they named that?

Anyways, yeah copycat concepts are dumb. You will look better if you post an original one.

Yes, DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!!!

I saw, I came, I left.

Also, another thing if your going to post a reply to a concept say something constructive. None of this :notworthy: .

However if you do suggest something make sure it won't change the concept. It's one thing to say I think you need to thicken the stripes so they will be more visible. It's another thing to say use this old logo they dropped years ago. The last one changes the concept. It is a fine line, however before you suggest something ask yourself will this significantlly change the idea of the concept.

i would have to agree with jkrdevil - please ppl only post if you have constructive criticism. i dont know if everyone here has been following the goings on in the request forum, but there has been a certain member who has done nothing but bash on all of the other members. it has been frustrating for the poster and the repliers, and it has caused some general bad feelings. so please - only comment on that which would help the designer - if you dont like it, then you dont have to say anything. "if you dont have something nice to say, dont say anything at all." thanks, thumper, you really hit the nail on the head lol

OD_Signature.jpg

i'd rather see 50 baseball concepts of the same team, with only minimal differences, than see 1 more recoloration thread.

sometimes uniforms will look similar, because a lot of people draw inspiration from the same things (like even uniforms in past years)... however, seeing what a new england patriots logo would look like in celtics colors is just completely useless. that's what imaginations are for. it's not hard to picture a green flying elvis in your brain... no need to open up paint for it :)

1. TO THE READER/LURKER: Read selectively. Since I joined, I have stopped reading every thread that hits the boards. I just don't have time, and there's only so many concepts I can see, evaluate objectively and comment on. A little discretion saves a lot of time.

I used to do that, and have learned as well, and lately there are more posts than usual-so it is important.

It does seem to go in cycles though--there will probably always be that here--At one time it was Islanders concepts over-running us.

Once there are 4 or 5 concepts popping up for the same team--I just ignore them...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I have to chime in on this as well....but at the risk putting some people off.

A couple of weeks ago I got a huge creative surge after seeing all of these concepts posted and I went for it.I had'nt done a concept in months but I went for it.I made the uniform how I wanted,completely original,and got some comments on what people would like to see.Once I changed it to reflect those comments and reposted it:Nothing.No comments,so it felt to me like a total waste of effort.I'm not complaining because a lack of comments on my work,but that experience saddened me that the days when concepts were done of almost 100% original work are almost extinct.Nowadays almost every concept I see is a cut-and-paste of different logos applied to the uniform,sometimes arranged in different ways but always what the team uses or had used in the past,sometimes with a re-coloring.

I know that most everyone who posts now only has MS Paint or equivalent,but it's not about that:It's about the whole creative aspect.It's not that I dont think the influx of all these concepts is not creative,because they are,but there is nothing ORIGINAL.I feel that gone are the days when someone opens up their art program regardless of what it is and hammers out an update of a current team with all new elements.

MS Paint should not be a limitation for what you can create(see the past works of SteveO,Against All Odds,and myself).It's not that I want the cut-and-paste concepts to stop,that's ridiculous.I just want to challenge everyone...particularly our newer members...to start doing new things.I am not alone in saying that I miss the days when everyday we came to the board there was an all new concept of some random team featuring something we had never seen before,and the comments rolled in as well.We gave our props and admiration for the hard work,and the cynicism was VERY rare,unlike a lot of the comments these days.I feel this is why our longtime members rarely post except for in the "Fantasy" and "lounge" threads.

So take this as you will.....it's just my 2 cents.

98Falcons.png

We all know that the Brewers....have ugly uniforms

nope, sorry. i LOVE the current brewers stuff. sorry if that was off topic, but when making a statement about your personal prefences don't make it seem like it's a widley accepted fact.

i will agree that the flood of endless concepts needs to stop. i'm all for a brewers concept if it's unique (see VD's concept) but if you have an idea that is only slightly different then a current concept you should wait a while before posting it.

I agree about the copycat concepts to a point. If someone wants to post a minor tweak to something in a new thread, I have no problem with that, but they need to include a list of what they changed so that people actually know what to comment on, and not just see a photocopy of another concept. I also completely agree about the recolors. It's one thing if you're actually creating a concept with a change in colors, but enough of these what if team A had team B's colors. That gets old.

But in general, people need to start taking time on their concepts. I don't know how many times some overzealous poster has decided to throw 6 or 7 threads up in a single night for concepts that are just a couple logos from different generations slapped onto a templete. Take more pride in your work than that! Whereas writing an essay requires proofreading before you submit it for peer review, before you post, ask yourself if you can improve it and try to do that instead of assuming that people will accept sloppy work because you use paint or because this is your first concept.

VmWIn6B.png

But in general, people need to start taking time on their concepts.  I don't know how many times some overzealous poster has decided to throw 6 or 7 threads up in a single night for concepts that are just a couple logos from different generations slapped onto a templete.  Take more pride in your work than that!  Whereas writing an essay requires proofreading before you submit it for peer review, before you post, ask yourself if you can improve it and try to do that instead of assuming that people will accept sloppy work because you use paint or because this is your first concept.

LMU's come up with something that could actually be prevented. Just as there is flood control that limits how quickly we can post responses, I am fairly certain that similar controls could be put in place that limit the number of new threads (and thereby, new concepts) made by a member in a day/week/month.

I've noticed the same trend, and actually made the same point in another thread. As a relative noob (and I guess everything is relative) but a longtime lurker, I don't remember this trend being as prevalent as it seems to be now. I've tried to keep my concepts to a minimum (with the exception of the Aussie Rules contest, 'cuz I want to win a jumper!), because one well-designed concept would go further than 9 or 10 pieces of crudely-arranged slop of various logos slapped on a template that doesn't evince much discretion or thought.

While the recolorings are equally insipid, the inundation of "30-second" concepts drives a lot of well-planned designed to the 2nd or 3rd page, where they're not given their proper due. Having a separate "Concepts" board is great, but it defeats the purpose if it's overrun by poor variations on a poor theme.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

But in general, people need to start taking time on their concepts.  I don't know how many times some overzealous poster has decided to throw 6 or 7 threads up in a single night for concepts that are just a couple logos from different generations slapped onto a templete.  Take more pride in your work than that!  Whereas writing an essay requires proofreading before you submit it for peer review, before you post, ask yourself if you can improve it and try to do that instead of assuming that people will accept sloppy work because you use paint or because this is your first concept.

LMU's come up with something that could actually be prevented. Just as there is flood control that limits how quickly we can post responses, I am fairly certain that similar controls could be put in place that limit the number of new threads (and thereby, new concepts) made by a member in a day/week/month.

I've noticed the same trend, and actually made the same point in another thread. As a relative noob (and I guess everything is relative) but a longtime lurker, I don't remember this trend being as prevalent as it seems to be now. I've tried to keep my concepts to a minimum (with the exception of the Aussie Rules contest, 'cuz I want to win a jumper!), because one well-designed concept would go further than 9 or 10 pieces of crudely-arranged slop of various logos slapped on a template that doesn't evince much discretion or thought.

While the recolorings are equally insipid, the inundation of "30-second" concepts drives a lot of well-planned designed to the 2nd or 3rd page, where they're not given their proper due. Having a separate "Concepts" board is great, but it defeats the purpose if it's overrun by poor variations on a poor theme.

I believe the same could be said when (purely speculative ^_^ ) Unwind posts a new concept, then a sea of similar but just not the same flood the board. (see brewers or blue jays). Half of them are just a quick fill and logo slap on, with what looks like no regard for revising, etc.

I agree with all of the above and I would suggest also calling your submission what it is. If it is just a recolor, then call it that in the thread title so we know what we are getting. Not that I don't like or ever want to see recolors, but if I am in the mood to see an original concept, I don't want to be disappointed when a simple recolor comes up on my screen.

LT

Archived