Brett Fave is just fluffing amazing

NJTank

How can a topic that has so much talk about undue media attention have gone so far and still not mentioned Tom Brady?  :blink:

Tom Brady is a winner. He doesn't lose games by hot-shotting it and throwing the ball to the other team. If Tom Brady played thirty years he might not approach Favre's interception total.

I can't believe this thread has gone so far without mentioning Strahan's phony sack. Talk about poor sportsmanship.

I would say that Favre wins games, Brady's job is not to lose them. If you swap their teams, I don't see Brady being successful. imo.

Agreed on all points about the "sack". <_<

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure it is fair to say that Brady's job is not to lose games. You may get through one season (Ravens with Dilfer) like that, but to win three 'Bowls, you have to be doing something right. I think Brady is a heck of a QB. He remains cool in high-pressure situations, usually finds the right guy to get the ball to, and is a player that a team can rally around. He may not have fantasy stats or big numbers, but he is a winner, not a non-loser. I'd pick him as my QB every time, with Manning, Culpepper, or McNabb 2nd (depending on the makup of the rest of the team.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Favre's in the top 10 QBs that I've seen in my lifetime and I love watching him play the game even now...

That being said, age and the constant poundings he's taken over the years have caught up to Brett...hell, it happens to EVERYONE.

I have to agree with the members of Eagles Nation...McNabb's better than Favre AT THIS MOMENT. Remains to be seen if Donovan can match Brett's stats over the long haul though, but if he has a few more seasons like last year, he quite possibly could...but I'll put it this way: If Brett Favre ever went on the market as a FA and my team inked him, I sure wouldn't be upset.

Does any of this dimish Brett Favre's career? Not in the slightest....anyone thinking otherwise obviously hasn't watched too much football in their life (or is willing to ditch a team over a silly uniform concern :rolleyes: )

As for Tom Brady...I think of him in the same vein I think of Derek Jeter...doesn't put up the stats that wow ya, but he just goes out there and wins, which IMO is the only stat that matters...he's quite possibly one of the best money game quarterbacks of all time (best one I've seen since Joe Montana, IMO..yah Marino and Elway have more comeback wins, but Joe was just money in the big game while Marino usually wet himself and Elway did for the most part too until the Broncos got Terrell Davis, but that's another arguement).

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Favre's in the top 10 QBs that I've seen in my lifetime and I love watching him play the game even now...

That's almost a slam :D

I think he is hands down the greatest QB and arguably the greatest player in my lifetime.

He is just a winner. He pulls last second wins out of air like it's a bodily function. I hate the packers, but I have to admit, I have never seen someone single-handedly pull victory from the Jaws of defeat like him (Elway a close second, his are more memorable, but not more frequent)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Favre is sooooo overrated it's no longer funny. He can get away with all kinds of dumb plays (Like this one) and get a pass because "he loves the game so much." He can make any number of asinine statements (he embarassed himself during the Javon Walker thing like no other NFL player not named TO) and get a pass because the media loves him. He can have a postseason record of 2-5 over the last 7 years and people say "he just wins, he's a winner."

If Vick, McNabb, or Culpepper ran across the line of scrimmage and threw it anyway in the closing seconds of the first half while trailing in a cold weather (re: bad kicking condition) playoff game, they never would've heard the end of it. Favre does it and gets praised.

If any other player (except Tom Brady) said the things Favre did about a holdout teammate, despite the fact that they themselves didn't go to minicamp and never talked to said teammate because "they don't talk to guys in the offseason", they would've been blasted for ripping a teammate publicly like that. Favre does it and people idolize him.

He has ONE Super Bowl ring (joining Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, and Brad Johnson among active QB's. What a club!) that might be on Drew Bledsoe's finger if not for Desmond Howard, and he gets this reputation as "unbeatable in the postseason". After the SB XXXII loss to the Broncos, he's won a whopping 2 playoff games since. Same amount as Culpepper, Vick, Mark Brunell, Chad Pennington, Chris Chandler, Kordell Stewart and Kerry Collins have in that same timespan, and less than McNabb, Steve McNair, Brad Johnson, Dilfer, Brady, Warner and Jake Delhomme in that timespan. He's also lost 2 of his last 3 home playoff games (the Packers were previously unbeaten at Lambeau in January). I know QB's don't really win and lose games themselves, but if people give guys like Favre and Brady credit for being "winners when it counts", then they should get credit for losing when it counts, which Favre does with startling frequency.

In conclusion, Favre is insanely overrated, and Father UCK him.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

He has ONE Super Bowl ring (joining Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, and Brad Johnson among active QB's.  What a club!)

and what a club it is. Hey, at least they have WON Super Bowls. Take that Manning, Vick, Culpepper, McNabb and McNair.....

I saw, I came, I left.

My point is, 1 ring doesn't equal "unbeatable," which people seem to think Favre is. His playoff record in the last 7 years speaks for itself. I hope he never retires, if only so I can watch the media build up the Packers to be a legit contender for the NFC title, only to see them lose a home playoff game to Arizona while Favre sets a new postseason interception record. The next day, everyone will be abuzz about how the defense/Javon Walker/the refs cost Green Bay the game.

You used to hold me

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

-President Carter

Favre is sooooo overrated it's no longer funny. He can get away with all kinds of dumb plays (Like this one) and get a pass because "he loves the game so much." He can make any number of asinine statements (he embarassed himself during the Javon Walker thing like no other NFL player not named TO) and get a pass because the media loves him. He can have a postseason record of 2-5 over the last 7 years and people say "he just wins, he's a winner."

You make many legitimate arguments here (putting him in league with Kordell Stewart and Brad Johnson - ouch), my only problem with this is that I don't think the media "hypes him up" as much as some people on this board are claiming. In fact, you barely hear anything about Favre or the Packers anymore. The last three noteworthy things I've read or heard about Brett Favre is that he refuses to tutor Aaron Rodgers, he chastised Javon Walker for not showing up to camp, and that it's time for him to hang it up. I haven't heard much good about him since the late 90's.

As far as the Favre/McNabb argument goes - they're both great quarterbacks in different stages of their career, which makes them almost impossible to compare. We can speculate, but until both of their careers are over it is very hard to make a valid argument that either is better than the other.

Listen to Madden, Berman, PTI, Buck/Aikman/Collinsworth, ESPN's NFL preview show, Fox or CBS' pregame shows, etc. They can't remove themselves form his genitals.

And I forgot about his selfish statement toward Aaron Rodgers. If TO had said this about Philly's 2nd round pick (a reciever), everyone would've attacked him for it.

You used to hold me

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

-President Carter

Yes Favre is loved by the media. Everyone knows that.

And yes the Packers(Not just Favre) have lost quite a bit recently in the playoffs.

And if you havent noticed he was slammed for the Rodgres comments. Even me, as the biggest Favre lover youre going to get, will admit i did a :therock: when i heard him. But I sort of understand. I mean its not his job to teach the guy. He said hell help him out anytime he asks, but hes not going to prepare him for the game, thats what a QB coach is for.

Anyway OnWis, youre a wise Vikings fan. Not the kind that say Favre sucks, hes overrated etc, etc. The guy is a a living football legend, one of the best ever. Done.

Just like how Im not going to say Culpepper sucks, they have no chance because the Vikings suck. I think they do have a better team this year, and I think Culpepper is amazing. I hate him, but hes pretty damn good. Mind you Id take Favre over him any day, but thats nothign against him.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I'm going to try to add a honest open perspective from a loyal Packer fan.

Most things good AND bad that have been written here are true about Brett, although we all put our own spin on them.

RE: That ball he threw away at the end of the half during the Vikes playoff loss. Yes, absolutely. That was crap and maybe the first time I can remember him sort of chickening out. Sad.

RE: The fact that he's only won one title and lost spectacularly in several playoffs since the Denver SB......(ST Louis 6 picks, Philly 4th & 26, Atlanta at home, and Minnesota) Each one has hurt deeper than the last and been quite embarrassing frankly.

RE: The fact that the football media tends to do a lot of special pieces on him and go on and on about his wonderfulness. Yes, they seem to...

My defense, explanation, perspective on this is simple. No one quarterback can win games on their own. NONE. The best TEAM almost always wins the Superbowl. Its corny, but it takes a team. To give credit to Brett for XXXI is wrong and to give him blame for the rest is wrong.

But to take the shine of XXXI and say they nearly lost that game but for Desmond Howard is to diss that whole team. They won by 14. That year Green Bay allowed the fewest points, scored the most and had devestating special teams. They were the best team in every phase of the game. That game was never going to end any other way.

Besides, if we are going to play the "IF" game......remember that IF one replay official had a different interpretation of the tuck rule.....Brady's entire run might have been quashed before it began. To me that's a bigger IF than anything Favre has ever done.

There is no quarterback who is SO good that they can get beyond a completely crap team. Steve Young had (rating-wise) the best career, season ever played and did have the best statistical SB ever played. Yet in Tampa, surrounded by fools, he was a floundering, fumbling failure. Montana is a winner, cause 1) he ruled, but 2) because he often had the league's best team with him. The same can be said for Brady. He gets it done to be sure. No knock on him. But he plays for an exceptional organization and one of the best "teams" to ever take the field. He is not expected to do the impossible......ever. He just does his part and because everyone on that team does the same, they all benefit. Also, Vinatieri pretty much holds all the super-hero moments for that team.

I would (favorably) compare Brady to Aikman. Accurate, calm, efficient and surrounded by playmakers. As for McNabb? That's hard. Cause I like McNabb and really feel for him during this whole T.O. nonsense which he didn't start but has to participate in. And before you view me as an Eagle hater......the dude played the game of his life on a broken leg. He's got my respect. I like him. I don't think he's remotely in the same league as Favre was, but that's just me.

As for now, as good as Donovan played last year, he's not close to the best QB in football. Skill-wise, it's obviously Peyton Manning. Dude's a machine and a student of the game. He's just incredible. But as yet, he's not a "winner".

Now, as to why I don't care one lick about the "Aaron Rogers tutorial" thing. First, Favre has ALWAYS said he was not a mentor or coach on the field. Thats just not him. He doesn't refer to himself in the 3rd person or particularly love talking about himself. Someone like maybe Joe Theismann, could talk your ear off for a week about how great he is.....not Brett. He never helped Brunell or anyone else. And to me that makes sense. How pompous is it to believe you have anything to "impart" anyway? As Ron Mexico and a couple other posters detailed......Favre is the LAST QB that should be giving anyone tips. He throws balls (both good and bad) that noone else could or should throw. He's the Dominick Hasek of the NFL. He breaks every rule and established technique and it kinda works for him. You don't want Rogers trying to be Favre. The only thing he could really do is lead by example.....be an example of toughness and leadership. And he doesn't have to hold Rogers hand to do that. Aaron need only observe and it will remain to be seen if anything rubs off. Lastly, the second he starts preparing his own replacement, he's already done. He took the job from Majik some 15 seasons back and has never even let the thought enter into his mind that the job isn't entirely his.

As to why the media fawns over him. It's less because of his game (at least recently) and more because they love him. Why? Many reasons. Lots of broadcasters are ex-jocks and they know what his 200+ starts streak takes. They are flatly impressed. Second, Favre didn't have any peers. Not in terms of equals, but in terms of people at the same stage of their careers. With Marino, Elway, Kelly, and Young all gone Brett falls awkwardly inbetween the class of '83 and the new school. He's got the elder statesman thing all to himself and singly reminds all those old-school, ex-jock, commentators of their own mortality and lost youth. Of course they are pulling for the guy. He embodies his own era all by himself. All the sickening love usually spread between 5-6 guys in a generation is all on him. Plus, they love the gunslinger thing. There is something fascinating and loveable about a guy not afraid to fail. I always get a welled up "Tin Cup" feeling when I watch him. People love Brett Favre not because he's "unbeatable" Ron, but because he is so VERY beatable. "Superman isn't brave, he's invincible"....Bonus points to site that movie..........

Which is to say, Favre risks his legacy and reputation with EVERY ill-advised game losing throw......and he doesn't care. Cause QBs go for the gold, leaders lead. He tries man, failure be damned.

That's why I wouldn't trade him for anything, and that's why his legend will last.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived