Uniform terminology question...

sc49erfan15

You're right OHLarenaguide, the first hockey uniforms were indeed "sweaters" that were modified for hockey use. They were functional and necessary because at hockey's beginning games were either played outside or on barely-heated (if at all) indoor rinks. I've seen some old photos of players from the 19th century wearing turtlenecks, no less. I know Canadian hockey people still refer to the shirt as a "sweater." When he joined the Blue & White Eric Lindros remarked how proud he was to finally put on the Maple Leaf "sweater."

Unfortunately the last wool-based hockey sweaters had disappeared by the late '50s, to be replaced by nylon/durene cotton jersey-knit shirts. Today, because of tradition, the term "sweater" still rightly defines a hockey shirt, regardless of the material.

I've got a question for you. Canadian folk always refer to the logo, wordmarks and numbers on uniforms as "cresting." We here in the USA generally call it "lettering." How did this term come about in The Great White North? From the word it sounds like there's a military connection from your association with the British. :flagcanada:

They were functional and necessary because at hockey's beginning games were either played outside or on barely-heated (if at all) indoor rinks. I've seen some old photos of players from the 19th century wearing turtlenecks, no less. I know Canadian hockey people still refer to the shirt as a "sweater."

You are right.

1_250.jpg

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived