Ray Lewis on T.O.

Brass

ESPN Broadcaster math:

Stuart Scott + Dick Vitale = Stephen A. Smith.

Smith's only apparent talents are shouting and prattling on about subjects on which he is clearly uninformed. For this he has become the rising star in the ESPN universe. I've never liked Stuart Scott. Every single bit of cliche street lingo that escapes his mouth sounds about as natural as it would coming from a 14-year-old lillywhite Iowa farmboy. Throw in the dopey likes of Woody Paige, Jay Mariotti, Joe Morgan, and the Sunday Night Football screamfest - tell me why I should watch this network? They dump hockey - which, ratings be damned, is a real major professional sport - and instead force-feed us poker and contrived exhibitions like the X Games and Great Outdoor Games. And lest we forget the latest jewel in the ESPN crown - competitive eating. Eating obscene amounts of food rapidly is not a sport - it's simply reason #5182 why other countries hate America. I'd like to take every person who labels themselves a "competitive eater" and line them up before a firing squad.

While I'm rambling on, let's not forget the darker side of all of this. ESPN is part of a gigantic media conglomerate - Disney - and is the most prominent voice in sports media. Combine that with thier vested interest in the profitability of baseball, and well, it should come as no surprise how reserved ESPN was when the steroid scandal broke, choosing their words very carefully and always seeming willing to give accused players (and their embattled commissioner) the benefit of the doubt. Hell, to this day, they're still making a push for Barry Bonds as a sympathetic figure, just in case he can come back from his body collapsing after years of steroid and HGH abuse, and potentially make a ratings-charged run at Aaron's record. Though, of course, 755 doesn't interest Bonds, as he only cares about topping 714 to conquer Babe Ruth, the evil white man. No, that's not my opinion; Bonds has actually made public statements to that effect. Despite all that, you can bet ESPN will be portraying him in the soft-focus lens as a legendary American sports hero should he ever bring his armored visage to the plate again.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived