Big Rumors

OnWis97

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clemens ERA is amazing, but Carpenter's is pretty darn good too.

If Carpenter only led in Wins, it would be unfair to Roger to give Carp the Cy Young, but as PCGD mentioned, Carpenter leads Clemens in just about every pitching stat besides ERA.

ERA is the most important though (well, Wins are actually most important, but ERA IS the best stat to judge a guy on IMO) as you say, so I won't complain if Clemens wins if things keep up the way they have been.

Okay, that's a lie. I'll complain, but I probably shouldn't complain if Clemens wins and things keep up as they are. I also don't think people should complain if Carp wins and things keep up as they are now either though.

Although, Clemens did give up 5 runs for the loss last night, and apparently his back was hurting him a bit. The 5 runs won't hardly knick his ERA, but if his back is hurt to the point that it affects his pitching, that might damage his chances (which in the spirit of competition and marvel at his amazing ERA sucks).

But the CF for the Red Sox?  Johnny Damon's power numbers have been down all year.

And he's quick! Is it possibly for someone to be on steriods and still be able to run fast? :therock:

Ever hear of Ben Johnson? He set the World Record in the 1988 Olympics and the record was taken away when he was found to be on the juice.

Or Marion Jones?

There are different kinds of steroids. Also they work by making muscles recover faster. If you train by running you can run harder more often. If you lift weights you don't need as much recovery time. Also for pitching you would recover faster.

This is turning into a bit of a witch hunt isn't it?

Clemens and Damon? I don't think so. This is another one of those ridiculous rumors that has absolutely no fact behind it.

Well, considering that we haven't heard a thing on this except denials - from Selig on down - I think it's safe to say we can call shenanigans on this "rumor".

(Thank God.)

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

JKR, I think steroids can also cause injuries because they cause the muscles to grow, and not the tendons and ligaments.

Well, Michael Kay, I believe from the YES Network, said both names were bigger than Rafael Palmiero and that one will "crush you" and "bring baseball to it's knees"...

My guess for the NL is Clemens.

But the CF for the Red Sox?  Johnny Damon's power numbers have been down all year.

Since when has Michael Kay been a informative source? The YES Network is a Yankee Propaganda machine.

A player on your archrival and a pitcher that "retired" from your team only to sign with another team....you think Michael Kay is holding a grudge?

As far as the Clemens/Carp thing, only my homerism would allow me to say that Carp deserves the award more than Clemens. I hope he gets it, but Clemens deserves it no question. (unless he's on the juice :P) ERA is the most important as is WHIP and all that stuff. I wouldn't say Wins are overrated because alot is factored into what makes a team win. A shut down pitcher, the team being more confident in their pitcher, and other things.

Clemens should get the Cy. I hate to admit it but its true.

If you put Carpenter onto the Astros, and Clemens on the Cardinals... Clemens would have more wins -- so that's what I try and look at, in terms of the record, so it doesn't mean much to me. Carp is on the better team and gets the better run support. Wins or losses depends just as much on run support as it does ERA -- and I think you've seen all the no decisions, or even losses, that Clemens has gotten despite giving up no more than one run.

And the bottomline is, it's ERA. A walk without a run scored afterwards is meaningless -- and a pop fly counts just the same as a strikeout. It's never about HOW you get the job done, just that it gets done.

I don't mean to discredit Carpenter. He's been amazing.

IUe6Hvh.png

Peronally the rumour sounds like a laod of BS to me.

Anyway Id give the Cy Young to Carpenter. That season, with that ERA(ya its not as good as Clemens), that record, the K's, not to mention leading the Cards to the best record in the league.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I don't know why, but I just thought of this after school special on steroids i saw once.  It was this guy that was a wrestler or a football player in HS and he started lifting weights alot.  This guy at his gym offered him roids to get bigger.  He started using, and started seeing the effects.  His GF broke up with him, and in one of the final scenes, he had a acute case of roid rage, taking it all out on his room.

And who might you asked played the steroid shooting psycho?

That's right...

Ben Affleck!

A Body to Die For: The Aaron Henry Story

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Archived