new-fangled wordmarks

Krona

more of a rant than a topic: im so tired od uninspired fonts for wordmarks. i see the pointed serif popping up everywhere, and i know it will go the way of avacado green appliances and teal pick-up trucks. my main question....why are they still coming? i see them in official logos and a ton of concepts on this board. anyone have feelings on this..

Maybe other people still like them?

well, thats what i'm trying to figure out. do people prefer old wordmarks that are unique (old niners,dolphins, cowboys), or newbies that all seem to look futuristic (falcons, seahawks, eagles). by the way, i thought the old eagles script, pointed serifs and all was real nice. it actually had a flow that connected to the name "eagles"

The Falcons wordmark is quite similar to the Eagles. Futuristic font that includes letters with serifs at the top. Take a look at the L and the S. They are different, but do look alike.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Eagles is really an update of their old wordmark. A little blockier and more angles, but their old wordmark had the serifs too.

PHI_953.gif

Edit:

Sorry in advance for hotlinking to sportslogos.net.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Eagles is really an update of their old wordmark. A little blockier and more angles, but their old wordmark had the serifs too.

PHI_953.gif

Edit:

An update, huh? Wow, that's pushing it..

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

The Eagles new mark IMO can't be included with the even newer marks because it has it's own form to it.

It's not just singles letters basically just typed out.

Some of the newer ones are nice, but they are starting to look too similar in style (not exact font replicas).

The problem I have with the Falcons is they abandoned a really nice wordmark that they had only had a couple of years when they changed to the new logo.

PHI_953.gif

Edit:

An update, huh? Wow, that's pushing it..

It may be a stretch, but I think it could count as an update. The old letters all had spiked serifs jutting out of the tops of the letters, and the new letters do too. The bottom right of the old "A" juts out to the right, as does the new one. Sure, they based the letters off of a block style instead of a round style, and integrated them into one form instead of individual letters, but I think it is clear that the new wordmark was at the very least "inspired" by the old one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived