Atlanta Braves name lettering

therookiesensation

noticed this today...Joey Devine, who was just called up today, his jersey had normal block lettering instead of the regular Atlanta lettering.

Devine:

capt.gags10708202257.padres_braves_devine_gags107.jpg

Normal:

capt.gags10808132259.diamondbacks_braves_gags108.jpg

I've noticed Braves with different lettering before, but this was the first time it actually clicked in my head that 'hey thats wrong!' Is there a reason for this or is it just to get a quick jersey together?

They probably just took the jersey he wore in the Minors to the majors. So yeah, more than likely it was a quick job.

BTW, way to go. First outing and they guy allows a GS in the 13th. <_<

If TFoA is correct, that makes a lot of sense. But I've seen the Braves acquire guys mid-season and they get the jersey with the radial-arc lettering instead of the customary vertical-arch.

Making the vertical arch takes more time to make, since the angle of the letter depends both on the size of the last name and the letter's position within the name. Radial-arc lettering is faster, since every letter can go in every spot within a name.

I suspect that the Braves either made this one for him for the time being, or asked him to bring his Richmond jersey up, and slapped the MLB logo on the neck. At some point soon, a vertical-arch jersey will likely show up. And since he pooped the bed today v. San Diego, maybe he'll be superstitious and change to the new one.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The Braves always make jerseys with the radial arch lettering to players that have just been called up from the minors or have been newly aquired. However, Francoeur and Betemit wore jerseys with the vertical arch nameplates whenever they were first called up, so it is a safe bet that the Braves do make jerseys in advance for prospects in the minors that they expect to come up sometime during the season.

I suspect that the Braves either made this one for him for the time being, or asked him to bring his Richmond jersey up, and slapped the MLB logo on the neck.

That's what I was thinking. They probably just slapped the MLB logo on the back because if you notice, the logo is a TAD bit bigger on the back than it is on the others.

Betemit has been up pretty much all season. Additionally, Francouer was on the 40 man roster during Spring Training, and since Atlanta occasionally has white jersey days in Spring Training, it makes sense that he would have the typical Altanta font.

This was brought up a few months ago IIRC. I think the answer that was given was that they get fresh sets of jerseys before the season starts, and another set after the all-star break. These sets will have the vertical arch lettering, so if a guy is aquired pre ASG, he will be without until that next set comes. If a guy is acquired post ASG, he is just SOL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My opinion...this is the big leagues. Why would the Braves not have the font match throughout the organization is the possibility of calling a player up to the big club existed and the need to wear the jersey from the minor league club?

Whatever the Braves reason for this is...its strange to me. It is never a surprise as to which players are called up throughout the season whether it is the NHL or MLB. Teams always have a home and road jersey already made up for 8-12 players that are most likely to be called up during the season.

I've seen the R-Braves play many times in Rochester and Syracuse. Their jerseys all had regular arch names but the names were always heat-seal vinyl on a sewn- on name plate. For an emergency call-up it's much easier to sew on regular block letters. The vertically-arched letters must be cut with a computer-generated "plotter" which most teams or local lettering shops don't have. A plotter is not cheap, but if you do any volume of athletic lettering they are invaluable. A screener/letterer that we work with has one and they can make or reproduce any lettering imaginable. They do a lot of commercial vinyl sign lettering so that's primarily why they have it. The athletic lettering revenue is just pure gravy. :rolleyes::D

I'm sorry, but when the Braves do this, it just looks ameteurish. They've been doing it for years, but to see it still bothers me. I just wonder why they have such trouble with this, because in the NHL the Red Wings and Rangers have no problem getting their new players jerseys that are done correctly.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

But the Rangers and Red Wings have their arched lettering done locally. The Braves do not.

The Braves order an arched jersey as soon as a player is traded for/called up. Sometimes, the jersey/nameplate is delivered as early as the next day (as was the case with Kyle Farnsworth). Sometimes it takes longer. Alot of times, guys elect to continue wearing the jersey that the equiptment manager sewed upon thier coming to the Braves.

Atlanta is scheduled to get their third set for the playoffs, so everyone will match then.

As for the earlier question, Francoeur, Langerhans and Davies played for the big club during spring training. Guys like Colon and McCann did not. So the first three guys had the Braves-style lettering right off the bat, while the other waited.

I'm not sure who does it these days, but I know it's not local. A lettering shop in east Tennessee called S&M Lettering used to do it (my summer league team used to get our uniforms done there and they showed us one time doing the lettering for the team durin g a summer order). May still use them. I'll make a call to see if I can track down the answer.

Has anyone seen The Home Depot commercial with John Smoltz? For some reason he has the block lettering on his uniform which is funny because as everyone in this forum knows, it makes him look like he was just brought up from the minors. I have to imagine that jersey was made just for the commercial taping.

Archived