New Jets Stadium

sekuloguy

I was just watching ESPN and the said that the Jets are talking to Queens borough

president about a new stadium. I am very glad that the west side stadium was vetoed. The stadium and the traffic would have been horrendous. Personally i would like to see a new two-team stadium in the meadowlands. What do you think?

i always agreed with the meadowlands, just not the giants and jets sharing a stadium there. it is GIANTS Stadium...

the jets can have their own, queens or e. rutherford, its up to them

but the g-men don't need one

their current one is perfectly fine as long as they keep the real grass

i wasn't too fond of the giants playing an away game last year at the stadium that bears their name

but you're right... the queens traffic would be brutal

New Orleans Saints

New Orleans Hornets

New Orleans Zephyrs

Mobile Bay Bears

Montgomery Biscuits

Mississippi Braves

Birmingham Barons

Mississippi Sea Wolves

University of New Orleans

Tulane University

The above organizations were hit extremely hard by Hurricane Katrina. Sports can wait.

If you're a fan, or just want to help, please donate to the Red Cross.

I was just watching ESPN and the said that the Jets are talking to Queens borough

president about a new stadium. I am very glad that the west side stadium was vetoed. The stadium and the traffic would have been horrendous. Personally i would like to see a new two-team stadium in the meadowlands. What do you think?

The majority of the fans would be coming via mass transit because of the lack of parking I thought, so there wouldn't be too much of a traffic mess.

Queens wouldn't be bad either. Is there always a traffic jam getting into the area around Shea for a Mets game? No. Just leaving. And still that is better than the traffic at Giants Stadium now. Traffic isn't effected by a new stadium! The only time may be if the Jets and Mets play on the same date, but I think theyd try to avoid that.

I'm for a stadium in Queens, as I was for a stadium in Manhattan. They gotta get the team out of Jersey and away from the Giants.

I'm all for the Jets moving back to where they belong...Queens. There wasn't anything wrong with Shea when the Jets departed after the 83 season...just that good ol' Leon Hess wanted the team nearer to his corporate HQ (which happened to be in Jersey)...

Hell, I'm even for this idea....build a new stadium for the Mets, take Shea & completely renovate the place, converting it to a football-only stadium for the Jets...complete with real grass.

Traffic wise, I don't think it'd be any worse than for a Mets game or the US Open (seeing the US Tennis Center is kind of across the 7 Train/LIRR tracks from Shea and that surrounding area)....the Van Wyck and Grand Central already are busy enough thanks to Laguardia and JFK (and seeing that it's pretty much one of the main access points to get to the airports from Westchester and points north and east.)...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Uh, they haven't had real grass for years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Uh, they haven't had real grass for years.

The real grass they did have at the Meadowlands was the worst playing surface in the NFL by far.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm all for the Jets moving back to where they belong...Queens. There wasn't anything wrong with Shea when the Jets departed after the 83 season...just that good ol' Leon Hess wanted the team nearer to his corporate HQ (which happened to be in Jersey)...

Hell, I'm even for this idea....build a new stadium for the Mets, take Shea & completely renovate the place, converting it to a football-only stadium for the Jets...complete with real grass.

Traffic wise, I don't think it'd be any worse than for a Mets game or the US Open (seeing the US Tennis Center is kind of across the 7 Train/LIRR tracks from Shea and that surrounding area)....the Van Wyck and Grand Central already are busy enough thanks to Laguardia and JFK (and seeing that it's pretty much one of the main access points to get to the airports from Westchester and points north and east.)...

Having never been to New York City in my life (and hope to go one day), it would actually be nice to see a football-specific stadium in the New York City limits. I've been trying for awhile to find pictures of Shea Stadium when it had football, but there isn't too many out there...just wanted have more of a picture of Shea as a football stadium. Watching Mets games from Shea on TV over the years, I'm probably one of a minority who actually likes it. I hope I can catch a game at Shea (and for that matter, Yankee Stadium) before they close for good.

I'm all for the Jets moving back to where they belong...Queens.  There wasn't anything wrong with Shea when the Jets departed after the 83 season...just that good ol' Leon Hess wanted the team nearer to his corporate HQ (which happened to be in Jersey)...

Having never been to New York City in my life (and hope to go one day), it would actually be nice to see a football-specific stadium in the New York City limits. I've been trying for awhile to find pictures of Shea Stadium when it had football, but there isn't too many out there...just wanted have more of a picture of Shea as a football stadium. Watching Mets games from Shea on TV over the years, I'm probably one of a minority who actually likes it. I hope I can catch a game at Shea (and for that matter, Yankee Stadium) before they close for good.

Well, if you have ever been to New York you would know the proposed location for the Jets Stadium was in a horrible location. On gmae days traffic would be horrible. The only reason why the Jets wanted to be in Manhattan is because the owner wanted prestige of being in Manhattan specifically that site where they have tried to build a stadium only for it to be defeated each time including this last time for the Jets. The stadium would have cost more because it was in Manhattan (than say in Queens) and as metioned the traffic. People don't want to take mass transit on sunday's to a football game (and currently there is none going to that location). They take mass transit every day they don't want to take it on the weekends.

That proposed site is dead as for the Jets it looks like they are staying at the meadowlands as they don't want to go to Queens because then Woody Johnson would hear a bunch of "I told you so". They will either become co-owners with the Giants and their new stadium or the will become tenants of the Giants which would be even more embarring than now as the Giants don't own the current stadium the State of New Jersey does.

As for Queens (I didn't realize this was a new topic I thoug it was a continuation of an older one), that is the best place for them. Most of their fan base is in Queens or Long Island. NJ is perfect for the Giants as that is where their fan base is. I still don't think they are going to Queens unless the Giants refuse to let them co-own.

I'm all for the Jets moving back to where they belong...Queens.  There wasn't anything wrong with Shea when the Jets departed after the 83 season...just that good ol' Leon Hess wanted the team nearer to his corporate HQ (which happened to be in Jersey)...

shea708.jpg

I would love for the Jets to move next to Shea (room permitting). Although Long Island City would also be a good, central location, right on the East River. It would be less accessable to those in the Bronx and Westchester but more accessable to those in Brooklyn (where most New Yorkers live), Queens and Manhattan. I can't say about driving for those in NJ or Long Island. But it also would be easier to access via public transportation, which is the way most people should be going to the games anyway.

I never specifically mentioned Manhattan, and seeing what I've seen of New York through TV, I know traffic can be a bitch...it goes without saying. The area around Flushing Meadows Park/Shea Stadium would be a nice, if not, perfect site for a football stadium. I know traffic can be like at a football stadium...I live in the L.A. area and attended a couple UCLA games at the Rose Bowl back a few years (when UCLA football was actually still good). Anyways, there is parking, at least to the east of the stadium, however since the stadium is located in a large park with a golf course, the golf course served as extra parking, as you see below...

parking.gif

I remember attending a game there, and it tooks more than a hour to get of the place. I bring this up because the NFL and the city fathers of the Los Angeles metro area have been proposing a renovated Rose Bowl as one of the sites for a new NFL stadium. I would personally prefer the L.A. Coliseum, which would be completely rebuilt, and there are plans (in fact, plans have been finalized) to build a light rail line along Exposition Boulevard, which to the north of the Coliseum and is the southern boundary of the University of Southern California. This rail line would travel from downtown L.A. to eventually Santa Monica, and if you ever driven west from the central city towards the beaches and beyond, traffic is a nightmare as well.

Archived