Another Linemen Dies

pcgd

I heard on the radio today that another Offensive Linemen has passed away at Illinois Weslyan in Bloomington, IL which is a Division III school. Senior Doug Schmied, a co-captain on the Titans football team, died on Wednesday.

This one hits home a little more as I almost went to Weslyan to play football, and actually went to another school in their conference to play football as an Offensive Linemen. I didn't know this guy personally, but I did have a few friends go to Wesleyan.

I don't know whats happening, but this guy didn't seem to be way out of shape. I mean he was a big guy at 6'3" and 285, but that's nothing out of the ordinary really.

Anyway, here's the story. Thoughts and prayers are with the Schmied family, the Herrion Family, and the Aaron O'Neil family from Missouri.

http://www2.iwu.edu:82/newsrelease05/std_schmied.shtml

and

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2142622

Yikes this si gonan get bad becuae now poeople are going to start whining football is to dangerous tehn they will wnat to regulate and thats when things start to suck.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

maybe it should be regulated. i mean, maybe having a weight restriction based on height is a good thing.

i'm not saying make the 6'2" guys weigh in at 200, but maybe a guy who is 6'5" can only be a maximum of 320lbs or something like that.

i don't want to see a bunch of rules complicating sports even further, but when it comes to people dying from health issues because of the sport, and not because of something that is a part of the game - something should be done.

Doesn't matter whether it ruins the sport or not, if people are dying because of the sport, something needs to be changed. Players aren't there just for our entertainment. For them, this is their job and their life, and they should be able to not have to worry about dying on the job.

RIP Doug Schmied

People aren't dying because of the sport. How many people die a year on the football field? This year has had an extraordinarily high number of cases - I think this is three (the Aaron O'Neal death at Mizzou doesn't count because that was attributed to viral meningitis). Three people out of hundreds of thousands of people playing some form of organized ball.

I'll bet more people drop dead on tennis courts in a month in Florida than do all year round on the football field.

Let's not overreact.

i saw a stat on the NFL not long ago- it said that 15-20 years ago only a "handfull" of players weighed in at over 300 pounds...now that number is 445....pretty staggering.

It is hard to believe that it has nothing to do with it, but kneejerk reactions and weight regulations will not curb the problem. I like the thing the Vikings are doing with the

pills that monitor players vital signs during the practices.

Come on guys. Calm down. For this kid, his family and friends.......this is indeed a tragedy.

But in general football is a very safe sport. Check out this weeks TMQ on NFL.com for some better stats on football's relative safety.

American's have an obesity problem and our hearts just can't take it. Yale is 100% right. People die every day....nay every minute from stupid stuff. Tennis, jogging, at county fairs and company picnics. If it wasn't a severed spinal column due to a hit.....we can't even say for sure it was football that did it. Meaning, it was exercise that did it. He could've dropped dead playing frisbee or chasing his dog.

It's worth considering yes. But until people get their diets under control, use common sense, trust their bodies, and stop putting chemicals into them this kind of stuff will happen. Maybe he even had something congenital going on.

Don't ban the pigskin just quite yet ok?

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived