Mlb fans

mohan

Watching the Cardinals game on August 16th, I got to thinking. Scott Rolen came up to the plate, and with his former past with the Phillies was booed. Also, everyone cheered when pitches were thrown for strikes. This got me thinking about Tino Martinez at Yankee Stadium. Sure, I don't really like the Yankees, but it was really cool how everyone applauded him and brought signs to the park rooting for Martinez. Even when he hit a multi-run home run he got applause like he was playing at home. The only thing Scott Rolen got from Philadelphia was batteries thrown at him, along with J.D. Drew. Now I don't have anything against the Phillies personally, but the Cardinals sure haven't seen much brotherly love against them.

I'm a Yankees fan. But there is a big difference between the situations. First, Tino didn't want out the Yankees went out and got a batter 1st base. Tino was popular with the fans, and was a great Yankee. The Fans were thanking Tino.

With Rolen and Drew. They didn't want to play for the Phillies. Rolen demanded a trade, and Drew refused to sign with them after being drafted. That's why the the Phillies fans boo them.

it has a lot to do with the terms on which players leave certain teams.

example: will clark left the giants between the 1993 and 1994 season as a free agent. when interleague play started in 1997 will clark made his first appearance in SF as an opposing player and he was well recieved because he left on good terms and was respected for what he accomplished while he was a giant

however, there is jeff kent. kent left this past off season as a free agent to sign with houston, and every chance he got he would use the media to bash on anything SF related. so when the astros made thier one appearance at PacBell Park this season, kent was welcomed with some well deserved venom.

so it can go either way. depends on the player's attitude and what he did or didnt contribute to the sucess of the team in question

Randy Johnson and Alex Rodriguez are another example.  Even though Randy kind of left the Mariners with no choice but to trade him, he never complained or flat out demanded a trade.  When the DBacks came into Seattle, everyone cheered for him.  And then there is A-Rod, whose story we are all familiar with...$$$$$$
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Archived