New NHL rules...

Sabrejeff

Seeing this demo, I don't know what the hell goalies like Martin Brodeur and Ed Belfour are complaining about. Did you see the tiny little pie-slice-like wedges in which they can't play the puck? They can play it anywhere in front of the icing line and in the very generous amount of space behind the goal. So if their hyper asses have to wait for the puck to enter that box, then tough titties. Quitcher bitchin' and focus on stoppin' the puck with your smaller pads!

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Seeing this demo, I don't know what the hell goalies like Martin Brodeur and Ed Belfour are complaining about. Did you see the tiny little pie-slice-like wedges in which they can't play the puck? They can play it anywhere in front of the icing line and in the very generous amount of space behind the goal. So if their hyper asses have to wait for the puck to enter that box, then tough titties. Quitcher bitchin' and focus on stoppin' the puck with your smaller pads!

Well in Brodeur's case he doesn't have to worry about smaller pads as his pads were already small. In fact most of these puck-playing goalies don't have to worry about smaller pads as they already have used small pads for mobility.

I think the goalie restrictions are dumb because the NHL is trying to bring more flow into the game by ignoring the red line. If the goalies can play the puck when the puck is dumped softly into the corner and send it up to the forwards at the far blue lines you are going to get odd man rushes and breakaways. Restricting the goalies reduces that significantly. However it won't be overall a huge deal as some are making it out because goalies rarely play the puck in the corner anyways.

Chico Resch had a good article on the rule changes. I think the interesting thing is about the Czechs putting the red line back in because taking it out actually slowed the game.

http://msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?art...vils&league=nhl

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm bumping this up but it's better than a new thread.

I went to down to the Lightning's practice facility to play some open hockey. So the ice had the new dimensions and lines. After skating on the "new" ice I have to say the goalies have right to complain about the restricted area. The video game feature makes the area look huge but it's actually very small. Where the restricted are meets the goalie I take up little under a half of the area and I am a small skater. I can't imagine what a large goalie would take up.

That's the big thing I noticed. As for the neutral zone I don't know how that's going to play. I played 3 on 3 pick up hockey so zone rules weren't really enforced. Although I think they are making the problem worse by shirking the neutral zone. When the play is out is in that zone you are going to have 8-10 guys in a small area. That's not going to open up the game.

EDIT: Just to clear things up, by Restricted Area I mean the area behing the net where the goalie can only play the puck past the goal line.

Sharks hosted the Kings, Coyotes, and Ducks rookies this weekend. And one thing I also noticed is on power plays. With the bigger offensive zone, its tougher to clear the puck off the boards or glass.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived