Natioals Concept

BallWonk

Maybe it's just something in the air -- my lingering wish that the team would honor the Grays legacy in DC, or those terrific LLWS uniforms, or the fact that the Cardinals are coming to town -- but I decided I wanted to see the Nationals with more piping. Lots of it, and really thick, too, not the thin three-color strips they use now. Plus, I wanted to try out a custom script in place of the current block letters to try to integrate the pretzel W a little more into the overall look.

The piping does look a lot like what the Cardinals once wore, but it's been a long time since anybody used that kind of piping and anyway, back then the Cardinals were sort of the national team for a large section of the country. But mainly it's about the Grays, who wore similar piping in the same era.

In addition, I've eliminated any red/blue crossover. At home, the Nats are strictly red and gold; on the road, they wear only blue and gold. That elevates gold from a highlight to the team's identity color.

With a home alternate I'll post in a following message, the Nats would have three "official" caps to market: Red W at home, blue W for home alt, and blue DC on the road.

Home

rsrnats-home.png

Road

rsrnats-road.png

c&c requested!

20082614447.png

I wouldn't mind seeing just a touch of blue in the home set and a touch of red in the road and alt sets, just to tie everything together. Just a tiny bit of each would be enough.

Love the "Washington" script on the roads.

The piping is cool, but it reminds me of watching this year's LLWC.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Those are really sharp, man. Nice homage to the Grays on the alt, I'm loving the DC road cap and the script, great use of simple colors. I wouldn't blink if they swapped their current set for these.

It's a custom script. I've only made about 18 lower-case letters and a half dozen caps. I created it for my Rhubarbs fantasy concept, so I had to expand my alphabet a bit to cover the letters in Washington and Nationals.

As for the numbers, they're based significantly on Futura, which brought to my mind the mid-twentieth century look that until recently dominated the federal government's aesthetic presence in Washington. Lots of federal buildings from that narrow steel-and-glass era, and until recently the signage had this sort of look too. You still see a lot of things around town with Futura-esque fonts, so I thought it would help cement the uniform's local identity. Not to say that it's the best choice for number font, but that was what I was thinking at the time.

20082614447.png

Minor nitpick here...

The lowercase "n" in your script is IMO a little too wide. The blank space between the legs of the 'n' is wider than the blank space in the other letters. If this was tightened up, there would be enough room to connect the 'o' in 'Nationals' to the 'n'.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've never liked the stripes down the sides of the sleeves, but for an obvious reason:

When I was playing pee-wee baseball, our arch-rivals wore uniforms with with stripes down the sides of the sleeves. That was old fashioned in the 1960s, and we thought it looked pretty dorky. Heck, we thought the kids on that other team were pretty dorky, too. So, even after all these years, I still haven't learned to appreciate the stripes down the sleeves.

And by the way, we always kicked those arch-rivals' butts in baseball.

Minor nitpick here...

The lowercase "n" in your script is IMO a little too wide. The blank space between the legs of the 'n' is wider than the blank space in the other letters. If this was tightened up, there would be enough room to connect the 'o' in 'Nationals' to the 'n'.

Thanks! That's an awesome critique. I'll play around with the "n" and the other "n"-like letters a bit more.

Couple of notes: I designed the letters so that the spaces between vertical elements would be constant, so that, say, the total distance and stem placement in "iui" would be the same as "nn" or "uu" or "nu". However, I didn't totally achieve this, as you can see with the "t"s and a few other letters. And the "o" doesn't connect to the "n" in "Nationals" only because I forgot to connect it. Didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. The "o" connects to the "n" in "Washington" -- I made a little "o-to-n" connector and everything. D'oh! I have a couple of letters I designed to form breaks in the script - "w" and "f" for example - but I made connectors to bridge all the other letters.

20082614447.png

Archived