Another Astros-esque team?

totc

Holy kronk! That's a jersey that belongs in the firmament of the River City Rascals, the Caribous of Colorado, Wild Wing, the Chicago White Sox in shorts, the first year of Major League Soccer, any green West Germany/Germany soccer jersey from 1990 to 1995, and Coventry City in chocolate brown!

And I'm not surprised that the jersey is tagged by a local manufacturer. Before the major licensing agreements for Rawlings, Russell, etc., you had many local jersey makers outfitting the home team -- Gerry Cosby in New York, Gold Medal or Mitchell & Ness in Philadelphia. They would "badge" the clothing with their own name like car dealers do today, putting a sticker on the back of the car (SMITH PLYMOUTH DEALERSHIP, ANYWHERE, USA).

But what I wonder is this: did the Charlies wear this eBay jersey on the road, and wore the one in the TCMA baseball card (white shoulder, yellow lettering) at home? Or was the TCMA card an airbrush job?

Or, is the white jersey with the yellow letters for one year, and the yellow shoulders with the blue letters another year?

But what I wonder is this: did the Charlies wear this eBay jersey on the road, and wore the one in the TCMA baseball card (white shoulder, yellow lettering) at home? Or was the TCMA card an airbrush job?

Or, is the white jersey with the yellow letters for one year, and the yellow shoulders with the blue letters another year?

Per an old-timer I talked to when I worked for the Charleston Alley Cats (now WV Power) in 2002, the white was home, the yellow was road.

I take that last post back.

The 1980 Tuscon Toros.

80tcmatorosjjohnson.jpg

Sorry you had to see this.

That doesn't look like the team that played the California Bears in Breaking Training?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 1 month later...

The 1980 Tuscon Toros.

80tcmatorosjjohnson.jpg

By the by, I got the entire card set. Yes, the jersey is yellow, avocado, red, pink, and lime on the front, and with an aqua-colored back!

That jersey is now at the heap of the uglyfication firmament. No doubt.

The 1980 Tuscon Toros.

80tcmatorosjjohnson.jpg

By the by, I got the entire card set. Yes, the jersey is yellow, avocado, red, pink, and lime on the front, and with an aqua-colored back!

That jersey is now at the heap of the uglyfication firmament. No doubt.

Why was Earl Hickey using "Jimmy Johnson" as an alias?

• 2 years later...

Bump.

I have been trying to find memorabilia or pictures of the Memphis Blues of the American Association from the time they were the AAA affiliate of the Astros. There is no TCMA card set, and there aren't any clues from any of the game programs I've seen on eBay. Also no photos on AstroLand!

Does anyone know if they took after their major-league bretheren and wore Rainbow Guts? (blue, I presume)

• 1 month later...

What team was Frank Thomas' Auburn University team playing when this photo was taken?

FRANK_THOMAS_RC.JPG

Could it have been West Virginia, wearing a Charleston Charlies "shoutout" jersey? Was this an airbrushed North Carolina jersey? (UNC did wear UltraStripe jerseys in the 80s).

• 2 years later...

Archived