AFL Submitted For Your Approval Voting

zoneranger

Let me preface this voting thread by saying that I was very impressed by the response and quality of entries this contest turned up. There were some first time contest designers and I hope they'll continue to enter future contests. With that said here are your contestants for the 1955 AFL...Submitted For Your Approval contests. Please choose only one entry and leave your vote in the form as a message in this thread.(Although Oakland, Dallas & New York have two links, they constitute one entry. I know that may seem obvious but it's best to lay this stuff at the beginning :wacko: )Entries should be judged on creativity, originality and appropriateness of the time period involved.

In the event of a tie, the two(or more) designers will face off in a sudden death logo challenge. They will be given three days to produce a logo for the only "unclaimed" city....Buffalo.

Click on link to see individual entries.

ATLANTA OLYMPIANS

HOUSTON HURRICANES

OAKLAND WARDENS

OAKLAND WARDENS WORDMARK

DALLAS DESPERADOS

DALLAS DESPERADOS HELMET

NEW YORK GENERALS

NY GENERALS HELMET

MINNESOTA NORSEMEN

BOSTON NIGHTRIDERS

DENVER MINERS

LOS ANGELES SHARKS

I'll give this voting a week's time.

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

LA Sharks.

That olympians thing looks like a concept I made for my Champions. Oh well, I didn't post it so I can't get all uptight about it.

BTW: Does anyone else think that the Olympians one would've been ironic in '96?

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Tough call, but I have to go with the Denver Miners. Name and logo are a great match to the city and the overall look has a 50's feel. The AFL logo was a nice touch. Small penalty for the Orange Crush era Broncoesque "symbol through the D" look but overall, this is the best of an excellent field.

Comments: Thanks to all the entrants - each was entertaining in one way or another.

- LA was very strong, great concept and well done, but a bit too modern looking for the era.

- Boston lost me with the 'Nite' spelling, which doesn't seem appropriate for the 50's.

- Liked Houston but the logo didn't match up well with the name (IMHO of course).

- Also liked Dallas but found it too busy. Dug the crossed pistols though.

- Minnesota was too close in theme and colors to the Vikings.

- Liked Oakland's originality and look but it creeped me out for some reason. Too many prison movies maybe...

- New York was too close to the USFL New Jersey Generals. In fact, it looks like a cross between them and the old WFL New York Stars.

- Atlanta gets points for originality but nothing can overcome my own personal dislike of the city and anything associated with it. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

That olympians thing looks like a concept I made for my Champions. Oh well, I didn't post it so I can't get all uptight about it.

BTW: Does anyone else think that the Olympians one would've been ironic in '96?

That olympians thing? It's a logo. I had a fantasy football team when I was a kid called the Atlanta Olympians, and well before the actual 96 olympics. The colors were slightly different, though.

Following the precedent set to not vote for one's self, the next best 1955 era original logo would be the Denver Miners.

:D

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Couple of comments: Thanks to all the entrants - each was entertaining in one way or another. LA was very strong, great concept and well done, but a bit too modern looking for the era. Boston lost me with the 'Nite' spelling, which doesn't seem appropriate for the 50's. Liked Houston but the logo didn't match up well with the name (IMHO of course). Also liked Dallas but found it too busy. Minnesota was too close in theme and colors to the Vikings. Atlanta gets points for originality but nothing can overcome my own personal dislike of the city and anything associated with it. :P

Oakland no luv?

uwv.pngtheU.png

Archived