AFL Submitted For Your Approval Voting

zoneranger

Couple of comments:  Thanks to all the entrants - each was entertaining in one way or another.  LA was very strong, great concept and well done, but a bit too modern looking for the era.  Boston lost me with the 'Nite' spelling, which doesn't seem appropriate for the 50's.  Liked Houston but the logo didn't match up well with the name (IMHO of course).  Also liked Dallas but found it too busy.  Minnesota was too close in theme and colors to the Vikings.  Atlanta gets points for originality but nothing can overcome my own personal dislike of the city and anything associated with it.  :P

Oakland no luv?

Sorry, I noticed I'd missed Oakland and NY and have edited my original post.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

BTW, something funny occurred to me re Oakland. Yeah, I know it's the Wardens and not the Prisoners, but along the jail theme, here's a fictional radio call from one of their games:

"Jones, number 4493200321, throws downfield to Mitchell, number 5312219983."

:D Sorry, couldn't resist that one...

Comments:  Thanks to all the entrants - each was entertaining in one way or another. 

- New York was too close to the USFL New Jersey Generals.  In fact, it looks like a cross between them and the old WFL New York Stars.

My original had red, grey, and navy for the colors instead of black, gold and grey.

But I was trying to keep in the period of 1955 and the WFL and the USFL had not come about yet.

NewJerseyGenerals.gifwfl_logo_stars.gif

Ooh a tough call-

Boston NiteRiders

And that sort of spelling for "Night" predates the 50's so I have no problem with it in that sense as mentioned above--

For an example there was the 1940's superhero-Dr Mid-Nite...

An example--this page talks about the current and also the original Dr Mid-Nite

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Ooh a tough call-

Boston NiteRiders

And that sort of spelling for "Night" predates the 50's so I have no problem with it in that sense as mentioned above--

For an example there was the 1940's superhero-Dr Mid-Nite...

An example--this page talks about the current and also the original Dr Mid-Nite

Perhaps, but it just doesn't seem the kind of thing "proper" people like New Englanders would use.

Also to be considered is that one connotation of "nightriders" (regardless of spelling) has to do with the post-Civil War group formed by the KKK who "targeted black veterans and freedmen who had left their employers and those who had succeeded in breaking out of the plantation system." That's from this site. However, a naming decision may not have been influenced by that interpretation of the term in the mid-1950's. This is especially true in Northern states where that kind of violence was not occurring in their midst as it was in the South.

Boston

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Voting is OH-FISH-ALLY over. And we have a tie! In a field of superb entries Patchez' Boston Niteriders and Teenchy's Denver Miners have tied at 7. As stated in the original rules of this voting thread, in case of a tie both designers must submit a design for the unclaimed Buffalo team within three days time. Please submit that entry via email to me at rskmjgrossman@pathway.net. I will also PM both designers and notify them.

Stay tuned folks, this one ain't over! :shocked:

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

Voting is OH-FISH-ALLY over. And we have a tie! In a field of superb entries Patchez' Boston Niteriders and Teenchy's Denver Miners have tied at 7. As stated in the original rules of this voting thread, in case of a tie both designers must submit a design for the unclaimed Buffalo team within three days time. Please submit that entry via email to me at rskmjgrossman@pathway.net. I will also PM both designers and notify them.

Stay tuned folks, this one ain't over! :shocked:

You can find the Voting under the SUDDEN DEATH thread.

Vote early and vote often!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Archived