Duke University Concept

14er

If you have noticed Duke never majorly makes any uniform changes. Its just updates here and there. I thought I would make a update but it's a little bigger update that they usually do as you can tell. C and C welcome.

Home : I kept the traditional white and blue only, no black. Block D

dukeconhome0cw.png

Away : Use of black which makes this jersey, to me. Logo D. My favorite of the bunch.

dukeconroad3ry.png

Alternate Away : Duke's black uni has always been my favorite. Logo D. I know alot of people dont like this much black but this color combo works to me.

dukeconalt2ax.png

Alternate Away : Duke's black uni has always been my favorite. Logo D. I know alot of people dont like this much black but this color combo works to me.

It shouldn't. Royal blue and black do not work together. They're not supposed to.

Duke did just fine for a long time with simple blue and simple white. Like the Colts. Like the Maple Leafs. Like the (old) KC Royals. Some shill noticed that because a couple teams' merchandise was being bought up by trendy kids trying to dress like NWA and Public Enemy, and that merchandise had black as a main color. So Duke followed the herd, oblivious to the clash black makes with their school colors.

School colors shouldn't be subject to the whims of fashion trends or marketing studies. Most schools mention the colors they hold dear in their alma maters. You won't find the word "black" in any traditional Duke school song. You will find "blue" and "white". If you're buying a school's stuff because they added a thin strip of black, you have larger issues to sort out.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I see what your trying to say but it looks to bland without a third color. I know i left it off the home jersey but that is like Duke tradition. They added black to there blue jerseys last year and it kind of livened it up. Two colors work better in other sports but basketball needs a third color. If you look through the NBA and NCAA the only team I see that still has just 2 colors is the Celtics.

I myself am a Duke fan for 13 yrs. (my whole life).This set is okay i guess. I think if Duke changes it would be less flashy and more traditional. The black is nice, the wite would look a little trippy on court same with blue. But overall i like that you had the courage to do a school like Duke.

GO DOOK!!

uwv.pngtheU.png

I see what your trying to say but it looks to bland without a third color. I know i left it off the home jersey but that is like Duke tradition. They added black to there blue jerseys last year and it kind of livened it up. Two colors work better in other sports but basketball needs a third color. If you look through the NBA and NCAA the only team I see that still has just 2 colors is the Celtics.

Look harder. Here's the NCAA, without much deep thought. These are just the more prominent teams. There are others (Ivy League: Dartmouth, Yale, Cornell for 3 examples).

Indiana: CRIMSON and CREAM.

Providence: BLACK and WHITE.

Penn State: NAVY and WHITE.

Texas: BURNT ORANGE and WHITE.

Oklahoma: CRIMSON and WHITE.

UNC: CAROLINA BLUE and WHITE (I know, some teams added navy as a trim color... and as an alum, I say it's wrong, which is why Bunting got rid of most of it for football, and Roy scaled it back for hoops)

Alabama: CRIMSON and WHITE.

Texas A&M: MAROON and WHITE.

Michigan: MAIZE and GOLD.

Michigan State: GREEN and WHITE.

And unfortunately this leaves out the other schools that, like Duke, sold out by adding even small quantities of black (Temple, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Baylor) or silver (Kentucky). And for the sake of argument it leaves off schools that wear white for home uniforms and/or trim color (Colorado, Wake Forest, Arizona State) but still wear essentially two colors.

More? NHL: Toronto (BLUE and WHITE). Detroit (RED and WHITE).

More still? NFL: Jets (GREEN and WHITE). Raiders (SILVER and BLACK).

NBA: Yeah, no one wears 2 colors any more. Houston comes close. But remember the NBA allowed traditional colors to be changed as the marketing machine saw fit (76ers in black? Spurs in "fiesta colors"? Knicks in black trim? Ungh?!) to sell and synergize with their target demographics, or whatever marketing mumbo-jumbo they like to spew.

Like I said, if you feel you need to "liven up" a college jersey, you're missing the point of rooting for a college team. Colleges are institutions steeped in traditions. Part of the pageantry of college sports, along with cheerleaders, marching bands and fight songs, are the school colors. It is not the province of marketers to determine that the historic school colors need to be augmented because it'll sell more stuff.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I understand what your saying now better. I try to keep some tradiion when designing jerseys but cant keep out being creative. I always seem to lose the simple look when the creativness gets the best of me.

I'm sorry, but I don't think black and blue ever look good together. I'm not much of a basketball person, but if you look at the worst uniforms in baseball this stands true. The Mets are just one team that tries to use black and blue together with ugly results. I just don't think black and blue ever mix well.

Archived