Emrick new voice of NHL

jkrdevil

OLN announced that long time Devils broadcaster Mike Emrick will call the games for OLN. I believe he is also going to call the games for NBC which makes him the voice of the NHL in the US. I think this is great he does a great job of broadcasting the games. Unlike Gary Thorne he knows how to pronounce the players names and he knows what teams the players are on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2147142

OLN announced that long time Devils broadcaster Mike Emrick will call the games for OLN. I believe he is also going to call the games for NBC which makes him the voice of the NHL in the US. I think this is great he does a great job of broadcasting the games. Unlike Gary Thorne he knows how to pronounce the players names and he knows what teams the players are on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2147142

VERY good choice here by OLN and NBC...

And I'm willing to bet they'll get John Davidson to do the color, meaning the old FOX team is back on the air, which, IMO, is a 1000-fold improvement over Thorne and Clement.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I love when Thorne and Clement do the games. They are very good imo, but i think Emrick, and especially Emrick and JD, are better for the NHL. Like you said, it just sounds like they know so much more about the game.

teamsnew2.png

Emrick is my probably my favourite play-by-play guy (though, it's a close battle with Mike Lang). JD... well, he's ok, I guess.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Emrick does a really good job. JD, I could take or leave. He's a rung or two ahead of McCarver on the Ladder of Announcers that Irritate Me. I'd rather have Gary Thorne and Bill Clement though. We used to have Emrick and Clement paired together in Philadelphia, which was nice (although neither one held a candle to Gene Hart, may he rest in peace).

I actually have a very nice letter from Gary Thorne, in response to one I sent him after he asked how Stan Neckar can pronounce his name "NETS-kazh". [HINT: If you speak Czech, it makes perfect sense. If you don't, it doesn't. Long live diacritical marks!] I never expected a response, but his letter was surprisingly personal, handwritten and all. I leave things like that as a tiebreaker when evaluating the LAIM. ^_^

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I'd rather have Gary Thorne and Bill Clement though.

Agreed. I'm gonna miss that combo. :(

Well, that's true, now that i think about it, i am too. When i listened to baseball games with Thorne and Great Outdoor Games with Clement over the summe, i thought of hockey and of how much i missed it. Fortunately, theyre not being replaced by the worst guys in the world at all. But still, I'll miss it too.

teamsnew2.png

I'd rather have Gary Thorne and Bill Clement though.

Agreed. I'm gonna miss that combo. :(

Well, that's true, now that i think about it, i am too. When i listened to baseball games with Thorne and Great Outdoor Games with Clement over the summe, i thought of hockey and of how much i missed it. Fortunately, theyre not being replaced by the worst guys in the world at all. But still, I'll miss it too.

For real. Gary Thorne has pretty much been the voice of American hockey ever since i've been a fan. I'm sure he'll be around to do NCAA Frozen Four games in the future, but that's not really the same. Someday I'd really like to see him go back to doing pro games on a regular basis.

6uXNWAo.png

Gary Thorne has pretty much been the voice of American hockey ever since i've been a fan.

Ditto. Gary Thorne is my favorite hockey announcer, just because his voice IS hockey, to me at least (for the 12 years I've been following hockey). I'd assume OLN is looking for a way to buy out his contract or is waiting for the contract to expire.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Well, I for one won't miss thorne or clement. They've been the voice of hockey for as long as I remember and I've still hated him. Although I have had the pleasure of listing Emrick call the Devils games for the last 12 years. I don't think OLN is waiting to get Thorne as Emrick is widely considered the better play-by-play man. ABC already pretty much used Thorne because he was already under contract with Disney.

Emrick has primarily has done hockey only with the exceptions of a few minor Olympic events. Where as Thorne has done baseball for years. Emrick won the Lester Patrick Trophy in 2004, for outstanding service to hockey in the US. Although it should be noted that Gary Bettman also won this award. Thorne constantly botches the players names and says there on the wrong team, this won't happen with Emrick as he edits the NHL's Pronunciation Guide. Emrick has also won a Cable Ace and 4 New York Emmy's (although I've won a New York Emmy and I'm only a freshman in college)

Thorne, Clement and the rest of the ESPN guys with the exception of Melrose has caused the league to take a down turn. They all trashed the league and didn't promote it. Melrose was the only one that tried to give the league good pr and tried to get people to watch. I?m glad he might go over to OLN.

Doc Emrick was a superb choice.

Just love his vast vocabulary

Rick Jeanneret is my fav too! But he'd never fly on a national network.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I know Thorne has done Mets games for years(and before this baseball season, a few ESPN baseball games, mostly on holidays). But for those of us in the barren West that don't get Emrick, Thorne is the voice of big-time, important hockey and he's just familiar. You can complain about he doesn't get names pronounced right, but hell, neither do a lot of good announcers (Al Michaels has been bad at getting players wrong for the last few years, and well, Harry Carey set the record for most mis-prounciations, but he was still fun to listen to). Thorne's inflections, his delivery, and his quips are great, I think. Emrick is smart and I remember him on Fox and the Olympics, but I just think he is annoying to listen to with his high-pitched voice, kinda monotone, and that really doesn't sound good (to me at least) after three hours. I always viewed his delivery as second-rate compared to Thorne's, and when Emrick was on Fox, I thought the only thing that saved him was JD. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

To each his own.

EDIT: If OLN isn't waiting for Thorne, perhaps NBC is, especially with their regional coverage. Just a quick thought.

Rick Jeanneret is my fav too! But he'd never fly on a national network.

Is he the Wings' play-by-play guy on the radio, that sounds like a 4-year old girl when he yells "He shoots, he..SCORES" ??

Rick Jeanneret is my fav too!  But he'd never fly on a national network.

Is he the Wings' play-by-play guy on the radio, that sounds like a 4-year old girl when he yells "He shoots, he..SCORES" ??

Rick is the Sabres radio broadcaster.

His signature call is a long "scooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooores!!!"

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived