Stripes on football pants

oddball

Watching the Oregon/Houston game and then South Carolina/Central Florida brought up a pet peeve of mine that I was wondering if it bugs anyone else. The question is: What ever happened to stripes on football pants? They've disappeared, and I'm talking the classic stripes like Carolina has back on their pants, and not the Atlanta Falcons/Denver Broncos crap. Does it bug anyone else to see solid color pants all over the place? I know when I started watching football in the 80's especially college there were a small group who had no stripes, now it seems a majority or a lot have them. I think Notre Dame, Texas, Penn State, Florida State are some of the ones I like, but I prefer stripes or a stripe. And off the top of my head the only NFL team without stripes is St. Louis. I'm just wondering if I'm in the minority with this. Bring the classic stripes back!

ya I hate stripeless pants, but what I hate even more than that is when teams have stripes on their pants and then a stripe on the side of the jersey and they don't match! How hard would it be, Buffalo Bills, to just make your pants stripe straight red so it matches the stripe on your jerseys. Is that too hard to ask? But worse than Buffalo is West Virginia. Those uniforms are a mess. They have a yellow denver broncos stripe on the jersey that they sometimes wear with pants that have a blue yellow blue stripe on them. Worst uniforms in football.

I think if you are going to have pants without stripes then then need to be colored, like Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida State. The all white pants are awful, I'm looking at you colorado.

It seems as though the stripes started coming off the pants in the early 90s in college football.

I think the teams with 3 colors (ex: Texas Tech's red, black and white) need them to balance the uniforms. Teams with 2 colors (ex: Penn State's blue and white) may not need them as often. Sometimes the stripes are badly needed to avoid a "snowman" look.

Good to see some teams going back to stripes, but I guess a similar number drop them.

maybe I am in the minority but I like no stripes. I wasn't a big fan of the 'no stripes' fad in the mid 90's where every freakin college team had no stripes.

The only thing that bothers me is some teams have one set of no stripes and another pants with stripes like the Ravens and Jags. Make up your freakin mind. I don't mind the white pants without stripes. Though it is interesting FSU has a pair of white pants with stripes.

Yes the ol' white pants bought for them by.... um, I'm trying to remember without looking it up! I see the face, hear the laugh.... okay Jerry Reed was Snowman... he owned Harry Gant's Winston Cup team with Hal Needham.... I give up *pause for the second while I look up Smokey and the Bandit on IMDB*... Burt Reynolds the former FSU star! I hate when things slip your old mind!

I like the broad solid-colored stripe look, and these would have been great if - as always for the Saints - they could have match up the shade of gold with other uni pieces. In any case, they looked better than the solid black pants.

Ricky with stripes:

ricky%20williams.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Saints' gold alt jerseys but they would have looked pretty cool with those striped pants.

Ricky with no stripes:

620.jpg

Archived