Some Bengals players wearing different jerseys?

Jungle Jim

I caught just a few seconds of the Bengals-Colts game on the NFL Network tonight as they cut in to it. The Bengals are wearing their black jerseys, and it looked like the white side panels extended all the way up to the sides of the nameplate on the back. The front didn't look this way, however. Most of the players had the same jersey as last year, but I definitely saw some with these odd-looking things.

If you have NFL Network, check 'em out and see if you see what I'm talking about. This makes those jerseys look even worse, if that's possible.

I know, some players white extends to around the nameplate and then others it stops at the armpit and they are others like justin smith's where the stripes on the sleeves are so f'ed up that they don't even look like everyone else's tiger stripes. The inuniformity is only one more reason why I hate my team's uniforms

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

I mean no offense but the Bengals may have the worst uni's in the history of sports. They went from one extreme to the other...from the horribly bland old school with 'BENGALS' on the helmet to those Halloween-in-a-blender monstrosities they wear now.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I noticed the side-panel thing during their game vs. the Eagles. I think they did the same thing that the Jets did this year, only not all of the players have the new jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I mean no offense but the Bengals may have the worst uni's in the history of sports. They went from one extreme to the other...from the horribly bland old school with 'BENGALS' on the helmet to those Halloween-in-a-blender monstrosities they wear now.

No offense taken. I agree with you. It really annoys me that the team that I have loved so much for so long now looks like a bunch of clowns. The thing is, the uniforms they just retired had so much potential, and just a small tweak here and there to modernize a bit would've been plenty of change.

So what do you guys think the deal is? Are the different jerseys something they're switching to, or is it just some experiment that will never be used in a reg season game? I certainly hope the latter.

If they took away the white stripe, I'd think they'd be one of the better uniforms in the entire league.

I think the white stripe may look different becuase some jerseys may be constructed differently. Like how lineman with uniforms with stripes on their sleeves have the stripes way up on their shoulder sometimes.

Actually, between teh boring and the currently rediculous, I think they had some of the best unis for roughly 20 years.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I mean no offense but the Bengals may have the worst uni's in the history of sports.  They went from one extreme to the other...from the horribly bland old school with 'BENGALS' on the helmet to those Halloween-in-a-blender monstrosities they wear now.

Actually, between teh boring and the currently rediculous, I think they had some of the best unis for roughly 20 years.

that's what I was gonna say. You skipped the 24 years in between the plain uniforms and today's uniforms. That period in between the bengals were consistently the best looking team in the league.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Paul Lukas noticed...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/050907

As if the Bengals didn't have enough problems, that stupid white side panel on their jerseys is now extending even higher -- but only for some players. So now the team not only looks like crap, but it looks inconsistent to boot. Most aesthetically impaired franchise in pro sports, hands down.

...and provided some photos:

THE NORMAL UGLY WHITE PANEL

OHAB108090223_lower.jpg

THE NEW EVEN-UGLIER WHITE PANEL

OHAB101090221_lower.jpg

I kinda like the Bengals uniform, except for that hideous white side panel that varies in length from player to player. If that were removed, I think these jerseys would look pretty sharp. But I do agree that they are way too busy the way they are now.

AM.gif

I watched the Browns-Bengals game last Sunday and the Browns made Cincinnati wear their black jerseys.....yes I did notice a difference in the shoulders as some TV numbers were on top of tiger stripping and others were on just a plain black background. Glad Im not the only one that noticed that.

The Bengals have to get rid of those horrible uniforms!

I noticed that too - it appears that some players have shortened the shoulders which both pulls up the white side panel and puts the TV numbers into the stripe pattern on the sleeves.

Short of returning to the 1981-1996 (pre-leaping tiger logo on the sleeves) look, the Bengals could salvage these uniforms a bit by (1) dropping the orange alt completely, (2) dropping the white side panel on the black jersey, (3) dropping that odd white with orange tiger stripes section of the pants stripe, and (4) revamping the white jersey by dropping the orange shoulder part and using the orange with black tiger stripe sleeves from the black jersey instead of the black with orange tiger stripes sleeves.

I know a lot of people liked the "leaping tiger" logo uniforms; I prefer the originals because the tiger stripes were better and, while I think the tiger is a great logo (it looks great at midfield) it seems both redundant when you have tiger striped helmets, jerseys and pants and a bit "me-too" since Jacksonville had this look first.

Archived