worst. jersey. ever.

Expos- nationals transition

Although I do like the Nationals unis a lot, especially their homes, Does anyone else think it would have been cool if they'd kept the Expos jerseys but turned the "elb/M" logo upside down for a "W"? You know, like to honor their past in Montreal.

i know what you mean, but i think like the Houston Oilers logo, the Expos "ELB" logo should be retired.

I hated the Montreal EMB, and I hate the pretzel W as well. They ran a TV ad for some bank down here where Brad Wilkerson was wearing a hat with an upside-down pretzel W (or M), and when he touched the brim of the hat it flipped over to the pretzel W. It was forced in that ad, and an upside down EMB/W would look forced as well.

It was "EMB" for Expos-Montréal-Baseball

thank you... nice to see some people are finally accepting that reality.

Well, kinda. The Expos were never really very clear on what the EMB stood for. They didn't ever seem to put out an official explanation - we heard "EMB" and "ELB", with varying words behind the letters.

Always hated that logo - it was forced, meaningless, and didn't look like an M at all. Sad as I was to see the Expos go, I won't miss that as well.

We talked about flipping it upside-down when the move was first proposed, and I have to say that it was a bad idea then, it is a bad idea now. As little as the thing looked like an M, it looks less like a W.

During the final days of 2004, I played a graphical joke about the possible logo of the Washington team:

brand.gif

Someone could see it and uploaded it to BrandsOfTheWorld.com Holy s--t! :D

Well, kinda. The Expos were never really very clear on what the EMB stood for. They didn't ever seem to put out an official explanation - we heard "EMB" and "ELB", with varying words behind the letters.

The Expos always clamed it stood for eMb, I have several old media guides that back this up :)

eLb was something the fans went with... don't forget they also thought it was a cJb

Well, kinda.  The Expos were never really very clear on what the EMB stood for.  They didn't ever seem to put out an official explanation - we heard "EMB" and "ELB", with varying words behind the letters. 

The Expos always clamed it stood for eMb, I have several old media guides that back this up :)

eLb was something the fans went with... don't forget they also thought it was a cJb

You are right, CC97.

I also remember all the brochures and websites that explained about eMb (expos Montréal baseball).

I always liked the eMb logo. :)

Well, kinda.  The Expos were never really very clear on what the EMB stood for.  They didn't ever seem to put out an official explanation - we heard "EMB" and "ELB", with varying words behind the letters. 

You are correct CC97

I remember the television announcers explaining the logo durring a rain delay in the 70s.

I was 8 or 9 at the time and it stuck with me ever since.

I always thought that it was elb, and I could never understand it. I remember reading a book and one chapter was about the Expos. It explained how the logo is an 'M' and the reason it looks like 'elb/emb' is that they decided to use the Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge like on the French flag. Expos Montreal Baseball would not be proper French syntax. The correct way is "Les Expos de Montréal."

Expos Montreal Baseball would not be proper French syntax. The correct way is "Les Expos de Montréal

if you look at it you can clearly see a white lowercase "L", a blue lowercase "B", and a red lowercase "E". If you combine the "e" and "l" together you get a lowercase "D", and if you combine it all together you get an "M"

l = Les

e= Expos

d= de

M=Montreal

technically it would work but it is meant to be interpreted as ...

e=Expos

M=Montreal

b=Baseball

If you jumble the words around you get "Montreal Expos Baseball". The three colors(created to mimic the French flag) are what confuses everyone.

Expos Montreal Baseball would not be proper French syntax. The correct way is "Les Expos de Montréal

if you look at it you can clearly see a white lowercase "L", a blue lowercase "B", and a red lowercase "E". If you combine the "e" and "l" together you get a lowercase "D", and if you combine it all together you get an "M"

l = Les

e= Expos

d= de

M=Montreal

technically it would work but it is meant to be interpreted as ...

e=Expos

M=Montreal

b=Baseball

If you jumble the words around you get "Montreal Expos Baseball". The three colors(created to mimic the French flag) are what confuses everyone.

No jumbling necessary. The entire logo is an M, standing for Montréal; the E stands for Expos, the B for Baseball; the M comes first since it encompasses both other letters. And there's no L, they just needed that area to be white for the Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge.

And that is why I think it's a crummy logo - it's too jumbled, too confusing. "Hidden image" logos should be simple, and once you know what's in it you should see it clearly.

That's the difference between the Brewers' "MB" logo and the Expos' "EMB" logo - once you realize that there's hidden text in each, the Brewers one becomes clearer and the Expos one becomes even more confusing. Plus it doesn't even look like an "M" in silhouette.

Too busy, too messy. I miss the Expos but that that goofy logo.

i know what you mean, but i think like the Houston Oilers logo, the Expos "ELB" logo should be retired.

I agree I think when a team moves they should be required to change their nickname. That way if the old city gets a new team they can start over again. Its always been a little annoying to think that the Indianapolis Colts get to keep all of their old history including the years they were in Baltimore. However the Ravens didn't get to keep any of the old history. They are treated like the expansion team instead of the Browns.

Does that include the Dodgers and Giants? Or the Chargers? Or the A's?

Or the Braves, the Rams, the (AZ) Cardinals, the Clippers, the Lakers, the Redskins, the Grizzlies, the Hornets...

question: where did the chargers and redskins play before they came to their current venues?

the 'Skins were in Boston (left 1936)

the Bolts were in LA (left 1960)