Marlin's Concept Jerseys

picklesque

i like how you utilized the red x with the box around it into the logo!  :P

:notworthy:

i like how you utilized the red x with the box around it into the logo!  :P

:notworthy:

I wish I could do that--here let me try!

nopic.png

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

A different, more professional font would make this more credible. So would leaving off the fish. No team except the Blue Jays (old original unis) have successfully combined a wordmark and chest logo. There's a reason teams don't do this, and choose a monogram/logo or a wordmark.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Where to begin?

First of all, if you're going to use vests, don't use them on all four jerseys. Pick maybe one, and it'll look a lot better. The font doesn't look like something a baseball team would use. The use of the fish on the hat is cool, but it would look better on the jerseys if you integrated it somehow into the wordmark. The way you have it now is just awkward. I like the use of teal, but this is a bit much. It would be better if you just used it as an accent color, because this is just overkill.

Overall, you have some good ideas, but this concept wasn't executed properly. Keep at it, though. I'd like to see what you can come up with.

Not feeling the font at all. Surprisingly, I don't mind the teal vest and black undershirt... but it would definitely work best with their current wordmark. Your font is way too plain - no arc, no swash, no serifs, no caps for the first letter - just not feeling it. The hat might work as a BP hat, but not as the main hat. The logo is too thin. Might be better to use just the fish head as opposed to the whole body.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

I agree with Anomalied, teal is a bit of an overkill. The Marlins did away with it as a primary uni color a few years back for that reason. Use it as an accent to the font or piping. You might want to vary yhe size of the font from large to small, thicken the width and add some arc. It needs a little more zip. Try using "Miami" instead of "Florida" since the team may change its name if they get a new stadium in Miami.

The vests are cool. I'm a fan of vests. You ever thought of trying a solid white vest with colored under shirt? Hmmm.

Hmmm...

These need some serious retooling, dude.

1. FONT: While better and certainly an upgrade over the Nickelodeon font, it's a very thin and uninspiring font. On the homes, it's very distracting to try and read thin, vertically-oriented black letters over black pinstripes. On the black alts, black letters clearly won't do. Some kind of arch effect (radial or vertical-arch would both help immensely) or angling the font up toward the end of the word, something. But flat across the chest doesn't always work, and it doesn't work here.

2. VESTS: 4? Do we really need 4 vests? And 2 alternates? I know the Marlins like wearing black in the sweltering heat in Miami. But that's them, and their superstitions. I sure as hell wouldn't wear black ployester to sit in a plastic seat during a day game for 3 hours.

3. LOGO: OK for the cap, but I like the monogram that incorporates the fish rather than the fish alone. I hate the Marlins but I have always liked their cap. The contrasting bill is OK on the teal cap, but it looks kinda minor-league on the black cap to have a bright teal brim.

On the jersey, it still doesn't look right. The Blue Jays did it, and made it work for them. But they did that for a couple decades; I would think that if 2005 were 1977, a substantial amount of us would be up in arms over the Jays placing a logo and wordmark on the front of the same jersey. The NBA and NFL-Europe also tried the logos and/or wordmarks on the jerseys. Colossal failures, both. I still don't see it working here, especially with the wordmark cutting straight across the chest.

4. COLORS: I actually applaud you for bringing back teal. Not only does it make more sense to wear lighter colors when you play in Miami, but teal is a color that works well in South Florida. However, the two colors really don't work together that well on either one of the sleeveless alts. They're too contrasting, and also make this concept look minor-league. Vests should generally be white or gray so that the undersleeve can have a team color. Colored vests with contrasting color undersleeves just look cheezy. And when your color palette is black and teal, you're putting yourself in a tough situation. The home and road jerseys look better because you allow one color to dominate and restrict the other color to trim use. They work well like that, but they look bad when co-dominant.

Overall, there is potential for a decent set in all this. But as presently arranged, I am not a fan. Sorry.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived