Underused color combinations?

worst. jersey. ever.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen it a lot in US sports but the claret/maroon with sky blue/powder blue is a popular combo in English soccer and was the colours of most sporting teams associated with my alma mater (Uni of Queensland). Do many US colleges use that scheme?

liverpool-1.png

MAROON, WHITE- WASH. STATE COUGARS

:cursing:IT IS CRIMSON AND GRAY

And it is underused.

The most underused:

Red/Green

Brown/White

Pink

Dark Red/Blue (avalanche)

Purple/Green

Orange/Yellow (yes it would probably suck)

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Green and silver is a combination I think should be used more. The Philadelphia Eagles are the only team I know of in sports that ever used that combination. I think those two colors would look great together.

Blue and green is also a good choice. The old Hartford Whalers used those colors very well. So did the Seattle Seahawks. However, the recent change the Seahawks made prompted the use of another underused color: lime green.

Maroon could probably be used more in sports. Mississippi State and Texas A & M are the only teams I can think of that use maroon and white, a very good color combination. I think Alabama and Oklahoma fans may get very upset if you refer to their color as "maroon," as some of the previous posts have stated. The Phillies should consider bringing maroon back.

There are also not enough teams that use brown. Brown and gold would make for a good color combination. Brown may not sell, so it's understandable why teams won't make that move.

One color combination probably overused is probably blue and red. A lot of Major League Baseball teams use that scheme and you can find it a bit in the NFL. Some teams use this combination well, but some do not.

I haven't seen it a lot in US sports but the claret/maroon with sky blue/powder blue is a popular combo in English soccer and was the colours of most sporting teams associated with my alma mater (Uni of Queensland). Do many US colleges use that scheme?

Only North American team that goes close is the Canucks, and that's a stretch.

I use them as my company colours as well. Just a great combination.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

The Avalanche have a similar combo with a darker blue but its not really the same effect. I think it would be a great combination for a sport like baseball where you have minimal trim on the predominantly white and grey uniforms.

liverpool-1.png

dark green and gold (especially in the pros).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The Jacksonville Bulls of the old USFL (great league, great uniforms!) wore maroon, orange, and silver....

The San Antonio Gunslingers used royal blue and green, with a hint of silver.....

On the earlier post concerning maroon and white, Oklahoma (crimson and creme) and Alabama (crimson) do not wear maroon...

Jayworld

Brown and Gold (gosh, that brings back FOND Padres memories) is underused, as is brown.

Off the top of my head, the Cleveland Browns wear brown and orange. Wyoming wears brown and gold. Others?

By the way, "traditional" red-white-and blue is vanishing. The blue has morphed to navy for most teams....

Just look at a traditionally red-white-and blue Philadelphia 76ers, who are now black, blue, silver, gold, and red....ugh! And this was my team from 1975 to 1988....

Jayworld

i agree, the sixers are one of those teams that need to pick a color and stick with it, preferably, they'd drop the black and have a white home, blue away, with a red alternate. they are, after all, the 76ers.

green and orange is another good combo that is underused, the U is the only major team i can think of that makes extensive use of both colors. when i say major, im excluding FAMU lol

Archived